Re: Thoughts on MagnaPorting
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 08:05:08 AM »
You can't go wrong with either one.
John

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 12:49:39 PM »
I passed on buying a beautiful Mark V in .257 a few weeks back because it too was magnaported. Why they magnaported a .257 is beyond me...
I would do as others have said and spend that bit extra cash and get a new one. Good luck in deciding which one lol
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 07:36:16 PM »
Im leaning towards sticking with the 257 but maybe picking it up in a ULW or another Accumark with the newer stock.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 05:16:20 AM »
Quote from 224King  "My son has a 240,in the 6 lug,from either 04 or 05.He checks zero every year before hunting with it.Same POI all the time.Year in year out.

I want to say that the 26 inch barreled,nine lug,Gen 1,UltraLite was/is a 1.5 barrel contour because of the flutes. end Quote. end quote

The ULW's are identified with a #2 contour modified barrel on 22",24",26", and 28" models. Because of the 1.5 contour fluted barrel, Anyone, is there still a bit of an issue with barrel heating at the target range with follow up(without cool down) 3 and 5 shot groups? First hand experience?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 05:18:33 AM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 10:22:20 AM »
Danno50, I usually only shoot 3 shot groups and there is no problem, a 5shot group may climb a bit because of the tip pressure.
John

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 04:15:12 PM »
I've shot a .257 and .270 Weatherbys in the past and didn't notice much if a difference in the recoil between them.  If I were in your shoes and already had a .257 I would get the .270 so you have another Weatherby caliber in your collection.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 06:13:24 PM »
I've shot a .257 and .270 Weatherbys in the past and didn't notice much if a difference in the recoil between them.  If I were in your shoes and already had a .257 I would get the .270 so you have another Weatherby caliber in your collection.

Good point!

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 06:47:38 PM »
Just be aware that if you get a 270Wby, it may well steal your heart. Mine did. I bought it fully expecting to have it rebarreled to 257. That changed after reading a load manual, and was cemented after the first range session. Taking my first deer with it years ago absolutely stole my heart for sure.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 07:21:39 PM »
About ten years ago I bought my Dad a custom Euromark in .270 Weatherby Magnum and that caliber is absolutely amazing, super accurate and he's never had to fire a second shot to kill anything.  I'd say it's kinda like a .257 on steroids. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 08:52:08 PM »
Just be aware that if you get a 270Wby, it may well steal your heart. Mine did. I bought it fully expecting to have it rebarreled to 257. That changed after reading a load manual, and was cemented after the first range session. Taking my first deer with it years ago absolutely stole my heart for sure.

About ten years ago I bought my Dad a custom Euromark in .270 Weatherby Magnum and that caliber is absolutely amazing, super accurate and he's never had to fire a second shot to kill anything.  I'd say it's kinda like a .257 on steroids. 

I could not agree more, I have 3 of them  ;D  ;D

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 12:52:15 PM »
Magna porting DOES reduce muzzle jump, which makes for a faster second shot, however in a bolt action rifle, that is a moot point as the shooter has to move the rifle to work the bolt.  Magna port advertises a 15% reduction in felt recoil with Magna porting vs a 40-50% reduction with a muzzle brake.  I would not have a bolt action rifle Magna ported, but if a previous owner had a relatively light kicking rifle Magna ported, it would not stop me from buying it, IF the price was right. 

I have what I consider, two heavy kicking rifles, a .300 Weatherby and a .375 Rem Ultra Mag.  I had muzzle brakes installed on both of these rifles, and I would not now shoot either one without their brake.

Magna porting would not have an appreciable effect on a bullets velocity, but it will increase the muzzle blast and sound waves to the shooter and to others close by.  Sound waves radiate out from any hole in the barrel.  When the only hole in the barrel is at its end, then all of the sound waves emit there and radiate AWAY from the shooter.  If there are any holes or ports in the sides of the barrel, SOME of the sound waves will emit from those holes and some of that sound will radiate back to the shooter, making the report louder to the shooter.
NRA Life Member

« Reply #26 on: Yesterday at 02:45:15 PM »
He wants $1350 for a ULW 270 Wby that had been Magna Ported. Too me this is too much for something I am not excited about to begin with. Maybe I am wrong, maybe that's a fair price?

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 04:33:20 PM »
Too high
I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 04:41:14 PM »
Too high

That's what my gut was telling me.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 04:42:24 PM »
Tex, where was the picture of your avatar taken?  Looks to me, like South Dakota.