Spike Camp

Thoughts on MagnaPorting

Tex68w

Re: Thoughts on MagnaPorting
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 06:00:15 PM »
Tex, where was the picture of your avatar taken?  Looks to me, like South Dakota.

You would be correct Para45, that was taken about 30 minutes south of Pierre, SD.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 05:38:09 PM »
I try to go to SD every year.  My best friend has about 1000 acres  12 miles from Winner, in Tripp County.  It's a beautiful country with lots of offering for the hunters. 
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

Tex68w

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 08:37:55 PM »
I try to go to SD every year.  My best friend has about 1000 acres  12 miles from Winner, in Tripp County.  It's a beautiful country with lots of offering for the hunters.

It is indeed beautiful country. I am not sure I could hack living there year round though.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2017, 06:14:31 PM »
Yeah, I'd probably head south if I lived there.  LOL!!!!!  I normally hunt in Nov, to combine pheasant, turkey & deer hunting all in one.  I've been in some real sh*tty weather conditions, in which the birds didn't want to fly, and we literately had to kick them for them to fly.  My dog Savannah caught a couple during those brutal winters....LOL!!!!!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2017, 08:17:39 AM »
Too high
I also think $1350 is high. I'm also wondering whether the magna porting will affect the bluing in the area of the porting? Hot loads maybe?
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2017, 11:20:01 AM »
My experience of Magnaporting is on handguns only.

My experience coincides with what logic would tell you. It reduces muzzle flip only in my opinion and not recoil like a brake. Marketing hype only in my opinion.

I find it really loud. I would never own a magnaported firearm by choice but if I wanted a firearm that happened to be Magnaported I may buy it. You have more choice than I do of course....
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.

jmnyckt

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2017, 11:00:25 AM »
I had a .450 Marlin that was ported, WOW! it was loud! I was shocked how loud it was, recoil is relative, as is sound when hunting. When i fire at my target im only focusing on the shot and breathing. I never hear the gun or feel the shot. I missed a 7 point in Alabama at 30 yards, using a .300 Win mag, the deer didnt run, it made a turn and stopped broadside (offering a better shot), i put one right behind the shoulder and it was down. Maybe an isolated case? Perhaps, but, another season i dropped an 8 point with a 3 inch 20 gauge slug, there were about 10 in the herd and only 2 trotted off, i cycled another round and put a 5 point down about 30 feet from the first, AND there were a couple of others that still milled around. If porting works for your needs, do it. Its your rifle and your comfort that you need to be concerned about