Spike Camp

Last Deer Hunt of the Season Coming Up

DW5

• View Profile
Last Deer Hunt of the Season Coming Up
« on: January 11, 2017, 03:03:10 PM »
Heading out tomorrow for a little bit of late season doe/spike action. Hoping to put a little more meat in the freezer and help out with doe over population. Managed to take this guy on my last evening hunt of the general season... Not exactly what I was hoping for, but I'm happy with the decision.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

badsection

Re: Last Deer Hunt of the Season Coming Up
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 03:39:18 PM »
There were days that meat in the freezer were the single most important thing to me!  ;D

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 04:49:03 PM »
Deer in the freezer is good deer.

I have one doe, and if I can get two more before 10 Feb when our season ends, I'll call my season a resounding success. Antlers are a bonus.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 05:19:12 PM »
Yessir that one needed to go. Good job.Like you going for the last few days Friday before season ends on the 15th  to try to knock off a few does for a friend.Weather is calling for warm temps,high wind,rain and to top it off we will be hunting a full moon.Better than working though.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 06:52:06 PM »
Great job on that spike, and more venison in the freezer is a win win for me.  My season ended this last weekend, and I had to work. :( 
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 07:30:22 PM »
Nothing wrong with taking that one out. All he would have done was pollute the existing deer herd with inferior genes, as he never got old enough to to damage his antlers (?) from rubbing too hard or fighting, to have a set like that first or second year. Best part is, the deer meat will be tender.
DosEquisShooter

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 10:22:24 PM »
Yeah, I do believe it was a good thing to get him out of the herd, and it is true it should be good meat as young as he was.

Terminator.... I've also been looking at the forecast. To call it less than desirable would be an understatement. Like you said though, beats work ;D

Para that stinks having to miss closing weekend/day... have any hunting plans this spring?

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 11:56:08 AM »
Well, the hunt was a success. I filled my doe tags and had a good time for the last deer hunt of 2016/17. Took 1 doe Friday afternoon and doubled up on Saturday afternoon taking 2 about an hour and a half apart. Below is a pic of the Friday doe and some of the "foggy" weather I encountered on the hunt.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 05:39:21 PM »
DW, now that the deer season is over, I am planning on hunting hogs & try to shoot a few coyotes.  We've been seeing some nice Toms at my friend's in-laws property.  So, for spring we are planning to do a little turkey hunting. :)
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 08:29:20 PM »
Sounds like a great last hunt for the year.Congrats.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 09:23:38 PM »
Pigs and turkey for me this spring as well. Sounds like you had a pretty successful doe weekend too, Terminator, congrats.