Spike Camp

7mm Weatherby Mag to 7mm Rem Mag

Re: 7mm Weatherby Mag to 7mm Rem Mag
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 06:37:58 PM »
A Wea Mark V in 7mm Wea mag is a cherished thing to own.  The best 7mm mag made IMO. Keep it the way it is and like what most have said, get into reloading. Great hobby, and very cheap way to shoot.
Any man who would compromise his freedom in pursuit of safety deserves neither freedom or safety...BF

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 07:02:49 PM »
Like others have said, keep it the way it is.  Shop around, and you'll be able to find factory ammo relatively cheap.  The same with reloading, shop around, and you might be able to find a used press or other accessories.  I'm sure there are guys here with extra equipment. 

Buy a reloading manual like others have suggested, and read the section on reloading.  Also, check out the RCBS website, and look at the bottom for the reloading videos.  They are basic, but you can get an  idea.  http://www.rcbs.com/

Bad, are you selling any of your reloading stuff???
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 07:22:22 AM »
You can't rechamber a 7mm Weatherby Magnum into a 7mm Remington Magnum because the Weatherby cases are bigger.  As for reloading equipment, I'd get the RCBS Rock Chucker starter kit because it has just about everything you need to get started reloading except for the dies, RCBS has a lifetime warranty, RCBS makes high quality equipment, and to top it off you can get a rebate on it.  When you decide to get your reloading stuff check out www.MidwayUSA.com because they have LOTS of stuff and their prices are very good.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 12:39:32 PM »
That would be my goal someday. I plan to get into reloading soon just because I love shooting so much. Any recommendations for a good press on a budget? I was looking at the Lee classic or the hornady lock-n-load.
The "O" presses (like the Lee classic, Hornaday lock-n-load, and RCBS Rockchucker) are the strongest and won't allow the die to cant in extremely heavy work.  I've used my Rockchucker for well over 40 years.  Since I weigh the powder charges of all of my rifle reloads, a single stage press works fine.

I bought my Dillon 550 progressive press mainly for pistol reloading because it is faster (up to 4 operations with each stroke of the handle) and I "throw" the powder charges instead of weighing them.  My regular RCBS, Hornaday, Lee, etc dies will work on my Dillon press, and I have the shell plates that I could reload up to my .375 RUM on the Dillon press if I wanted to.

+1 on Chris338378's post on the RCBS Rockchucker kit and Midway. I've bought from them for years (and have an order in with them now).  Other possible sources for buying used equipment include Gun Broker, pawn shops, estate sales, and gun ranges or gun clubs.  Just be careful if buying used equipment that all parts are there, it works, and there is no rust on the rams or in the dies.
NRA Endowment Life Member

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 01:51:27 PM »
Really, you can't go wrong with any of the kits from Hornady, RCBS, or Lyman, and some of the kits from Lee.  I'm inclined to say buy a better setup than the Lee to start, but plenty of people use Lee.  Check Midsouth Shooter's Supply and Natchez Shooter's Supply (Natchez won't ship to you if you're in GA, AL, or TN, though...) for some of the best pricing.  For just an entry point into a quality press without a bunch of other stuff you'll use a while and then discard, here's a couple of the best deals out there:

https://www.natchezss.com/lyman-crusher-ii-pro-kit.html (basic kit, nothing you'll stop using, but will require a few other tools to really be set up to load and shoot)

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/000449286/explorer-reloading-kit  (This one has a $75 rebate you can mail off for, so it's more economical than it seems.  It's a more complete kit, still a tool or two you'll need, but I've been loading on this exact same press for nearly 25yrs, and aside from being a little short in the opening for the longest stuff (300Wby, 340Wby, 375H&H, it's great! And despite the shortness, I've been loading 300Wby on mine for nearly a decade now, without too much trouble.)

https://www.natchezss.com/rc-supreme-master-kit.html (Here's a fabulous deal on a RockChucker kit - again, a few tools you'll still need (calipers, case cleaner, case trimmer) but you'll be able to load ammo with this press and other tools for decades.)

There are good options out there for a few hundred bucks, which you'll use long after you've gotten out of school.  I started loading with a buddy of mine in college, and we both still use the same equipment we bought back then.

Oh, and I'd stay away from trying to rechamber that 7mmWby to a RemMag, as you've been advised.  You'll regret it.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 07:13:19 PM »
Here's a link to the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Single Stage Press Kit.  You'll need to get dies, primers, powder, and heads.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 09:25:30 PM »
You can't rechamber a 7mm Weatherby Magnum into a 7mm Remington Magnum because the Weatherby cases are bigger.  As for reloading equipment, I'd get the RCBS Rock Chucker starter kit because it has just about everything you need to get started reloading except for the dies, RCBS has a lifetime warranty, RCBS makes high quality equipment, and to top it off you can get a rebate on it.  When you decide to get your reloading stuff check out www.MidwayUSA.com because they have LOTS of stuff and their prices are very good.

^This! Although technically you could remove the barrel and take a couple of threads off, re-thread, then re-chamber... but geez that's very unnecessary and would likely cost you a decent amount in gunsmithing labor unless you have a hook-up there.

A Weatherby Deluxe Mark V is a very nice rifle. I wouldn't recommend modifying it just to save cost on ammo. As others have said, look at the cheaper factory loads or get into reloading. I started with a Lee starter set 15 years ago and now have all sorts of reloading gear from various manufacturers.

Handloading magazine is a valuable resource. If you need an old reloading manual, I can probably donate one. Let me know.

How often are you actually going to shoot the rifle? I probably only shoot a handful of my rifles once a year on the bench and then whatever ends up happening in the field. Are you looking to shoot 250-500 rounds a year? If so, you might want to look at less overbore cartridges or at minimum make sure to cool your barrel between shots.

Good luck!
JW

I like rifles with wood stocks

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 11:02:05 PM »
With a 7mm Weatherby, I wouldn't hesitate to use it on Grizzly. Plenty of grizz have been taken with 30-06 and a 7mm Weatherby mag with a 175 gr would do the job quite nicely imho. 

BroncoTackler32

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 05:15:46 PM »
The reason I want to reload is because I want to get into long range shooting. The mark v in the model I have is not well suited for that as it doesn't have any bedding blocks or pillars in the stock or a muzzle break to tame the 7mm recoil that has caused several flinches. Is there anything wrong with placing the barreled action in a new stock designed for long range shooting and adding a clamp on muzzle break to the barrel in order to create a long range gun without doing anything to the rifle that cant be easily put back to stock condition. Any thoughts? I really love the action and wouldn't want to have to buy a whole new gun in order to build a long range rifle.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:17:49 PM by BroncoTackler32 »

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 08:23:18 PM »
I'll jump on with the "start reloading" wagon as well. I think it would be a big mistake to modify a 7mm Wby Mag to make it a 7mm Rem Mag. You'll be able to move a bullet faster with the Weatherby cartridge than with the Remington one. Since the bullets are the same in either, find who reloads and learn from them how to make your own loads for the 7mm Roy. You will shoot more accuractly with handloads than factory stuff 99% of the time.

My son has a Vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag and it is a fine rifle, no doubt. I'm gettting a 7mm Roy from a friend who is a master gunsmith.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 11:22:43 PM »
Please dear heavens do NOT try a clamp on muzzle break on that rifle.

If you want to shoot long range (and I'm assuming you mean 1000yds as that's what most folks call long range) you will be alright with your current rifle, once you learn to shoot properly. The 7mm by doesn't have a ton of recoil (it's really just ever so slightly more than a 30-06). My suggestion is to keep this fine rifle as is, and save the money you'd spend on a new stock, muzzle break, and such, and use it to buy a Vanguard with a heavy barrel and a more long-range appropriate stock. I'd suggest 6.5Creedmore, 7mm-08, or 308Win as the chambering.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 01:41:40 AM »
+1 on what Duby said.

Rob

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 07:18:58 AM »
Quote from Catskinner "I wouldn't go buggering around trying to rechamber your rifle."

Quote from Duby "My suggestion is to keep this fine rifle as is, and save the money you'd spend on a new stock, muzzle break, and such, and use it to buy a Vanguard with a heavy barrel and a more long-range appropriate stock. I'd suggest 6.5Creedmore, 7mm-08, or 308Win as the chambering.

I agree with both of these experienced Weatherby gun mates, unless the rifle has been mistreated, neglected (rust pitted), or the stock was badly cracked. Think about it, A gift from your Grandpa? As for the recoil and flinching, I would also invest in a AirTech Slip On Recoil Pad. These are very helpful,  as I have used one on my 30-30 Winchester and my 7mag, and in both cases the recoil became very manageable (less than a 30-06) The slip on will increase you LOP about half inch to five eights which isn't much and may improve your sight picture, and for less than $40.00, its the least expensive way to go.( the medium size fit my 7mag ) If you buy it on Amazon, it can be returned if your not satisfied. The AirTech is a very effective recoil reducer and should stop the flinching. The Mark V is a Weatherby design, and there is very little that can be done to improve the quality and craftsmanship that makes this rifle the envy of the industry. 
DosEquisShooter

BroncoTackler32

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 09:35:25 AM »
Quote from Catskinner "I wouldn't go buggering around trying to rechamber your rifle."

Quote from Duby "My suggestion is to keep this fine rifle as is, and save the money you'd spend on a new stock, muzzle break, and such, and use it to buy a Vanguard with a heavy barrel and a more long-range appropriate stock. I'd suggest 6.5Creedmore, 7mm-08, or 308Win as the chambering.

I agree with both of these experienced Weatherby gun mates, unless the rifle has been mistreated, neglected (rust pitted), or the stock was badly cracked. Think about it, A gift from your Grandpa? As for the recoil and flinching, I would also invest in a AirTech Slip On Recoil Pad. These are very helpful,  as I have used one on my 30-30 Winchester and my 7mag, and in both cases the recoil became very manageable (less than a 30-06) The slip on will increase you LOP about half inch to five eights which isn't much and may improve your sight picture, and for less than $40.00, its the least expensive way to go.( the medium size fit my 7mag ) If you buy it on Amazon, it can be returned if your not satisfied. The AirTech is a very effective recoil reducer and should stop the flinching. The Mark V is a Weatherby design, and there is very little that can be done to improve the quality and craftsmanship that makes this rifle the envy of the industry.

Thank you for all the great advice. Do you have any recommendations for a slip-on raised cheek piece for the stock so I can get a better cheek well?

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 12:21:30 PM »
I can't imagine the Weatherby stock doesn't already have a Monte Carlo comb and a raised cheekpiece. I think you'd be well advised to get some help on your shooting form, as it sounds like you're crowding the rifle or hunching over it.

Refresh my memory, what scope do you have on the rifle?  You may need to consider one with a longer eye relief. Try shooting on relatively low power, as that usually increases eye relief (from slightly on high end optics to dramatically on lower end optics).

Some other tips I'll offer to deal with your flinch:
Use earplugs and good muffs with >29db noise reduction each. Sound is a significant part of recoil perception.

Shoot with both eyes open. I know it sounds a little crazy, but your eyes will adjust and your brain learn to do this (unless you're cross dominant, but that's a different topic altogether). Closing one eye sets the muscles in your neck and shoulder in mild tension, and when you pull the trigger, you're spring is wound up, so to speak, and the flinch is the release.

Use whatever padding you need. Consider the pad Danno linked, and also consider a folded bath towel or a PAST recoil shield at the bench, as bench shooting increases recoil perception. I've seen guys use sandbags between their shoulder and the gun, but I've found a towel much easier to use.

The other thing to do is a lot of dry fire practice, so you can unlearn the flinch. If you have access to a 22lr, use that to retrain yourself, as well. Be patient and know that it took a couple of range trips to develop the flinch but it will take half a dozen or maybe a dozen range trips or more to get rid of it.

I think shooting form may be part of the problem. You might spend some time researching and reading on body position and mechanics. If you have access to a certified NRA instructor you should consider that a wise investment of time and resources, as well, if you can't get things comfortable on your own.