Spike Camp

257 wby accuracy frustration

apache12

257 wby accuracy frustration
« on: January 22, 2017, 02:16:47 PM »
I have a Vanguard Sporter in 257wby. Beautiful rifle with the wood stock and blued barrel. Bought it new. And followed the 30 round break in to the letter

I handload. And while I'm no pro I load  very successfully for my 243, 7mm-08, 270 win, and 30-06

The only load I can get to be close to MOA is Barnes ttsx 100gr. With IMR 4831.
I Love the performance of this caliber. I've taken two Coues Deer both over 300 yards but my shot placement was less then perfect at that distance even with a good rest and low wind.  But that is what's so impressive with the 257. Even with less than perfect placement both deer fell where they stood.

So I really want to get where I can confidently shoot this out to 500 yards
And I'm afraid at that distance the Barnes may not expand enough at slower speed

So I've loaded nosler 110 accubound. Hdy 117 Sst Berger 115 vld and nosler 100 gr BT. I have used RL 25 and H100 and IMR 4831
I have used different seating depth and new brass is no better than my resize
Primer Fed 215
These where all aweful. One Berger load is a potential option but the others where very poor shooting off a bench
I didn't shoot all these at one sitting. This is over a few months. With constant cleaning and I shoot a cooled barrel for new loads

If this was the only rifle I've loaded I'd just say I am a bad loader but my other rifles are great groups

Scope is a Leupold vx 3i 4.5-14x40   I've checked screws and used other scopes

I want to make this work. I guess I could say oh well it only shoots Barnes and work on that but...

Should I buy a factory box and see how that shoots as a baseline?

Open to any advice

PARA45

• View Profile
Re: 257 wby accuracy frustration
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 03:10:58 PM »
I think basically your rifle has told you what it likes.  Also, remember that some rifles are more finicky than others, and even thought you've tried different bullets, with different powders, maybe you just have not found that magic load.  There are guys here who swear by the TTSX, and that is they shoot through their 257s.  The Vanguards are notorious for being super accurate, and if your rifle likes the TTSX, I'd tweak that load a little and find a place where you can shoot at 300-500 yds, so you know what that bullet is doing.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 04:57:11 PM »
I own the same rifle also in 257 Wea mag. The sierra 117gr gameking with a max load of Rl-22, fed 215, Weatherby case and an oal of 3.265 gets me .75 moa and a vel of 3365 ft/sec. The 117gr pro hunter and 120 gameking also work good with the same load.
Any man who would compromise his freedom in pursuit of safety deserves neither freedom or safety...BF

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 05:15:40 PM »
Get a can of IMR 7828ssc.Have you ever free floated a barrel before?
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 05:34:18 PM »
How many grains of the 4831? It is going to give slower velocities than several others.Most IMR and RL powders are very heat sensitive from my experiences except for their most recent powder releases. My Weatherby mags seem to shoot best at Max loads and above.I would revisit the H1000 and the 100 Barnes.That Combo has worked for many of us.Good luck and keep experimenting.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

apache12

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 05:48:01 PM »
64 grains of imr 4831. Max load per Barnes book

In all my test this rifle seems to like hottest load. I have exceeded books yet but maybe I should by .5 and check for pressure

I have to admit I'm not real good at reading fire pin dents. And can see ejector marks

apache12

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 05:51:03 PM »
I've not floated a barrel. But it's a wood stock and just the pressure point. So can't be to bad.

But I'm pretty good about letting barrel cool when testing loads

I'm more concerned that this rounds needs a #3 contour 26 in barrel to really perform. But I dont have the $. Two boys in college bleeding me

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 06:23:02 PM »
The following link is reloading data from Hodgdon.You might not be able to reach max with the 24 inch barrel Vanguard but you should be able to get close.
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

apache12

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 06:54:52 PM »
I'll give it a try.  I live in AZ so heat sensitive is an issue

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 07:37:04 PM »
Try some shims under the action lug before taking the pressure point out of the stock just to see if free floating the barrel would help.How old is this Vanny Deluxe?Oh,I see it's a sporter.You can still try the shims.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:18:41 PM by 224KING »
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 08:31:09 PM »
Get a can of IMR 7828ssc.Have you ever free floated a barrel before?
[/quote

I agree with 224king, try some 7828ssc or MRP if you can find it

Rob
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:32:46 PM by catskinner »

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 05:26:57 AM »
How is the muzzle, if coppered up Sweet's 7.62 and follow instructions.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 06:29:42 AM »
Quoting your last sentence,"Should I buy a factory box and see how that shoots as a baseline?" Using the ammo Weatherby recommends for that rifle caliber, which is generally what Weatherby used for moa, would be the first thing I would try. You should always shoot factory suggested ammo to confirm the accuracy guarantee, then you know its not the rifle. Nothing wrong with hand loading right off the bat, as many guys are very successful, but as you can see results can vary. Never alter the rifle before you confirm the guaranteed moa. or you'll void the warranty. Find out if the factory Weatherby ammo shoots moa and go from there.
DosEquisShooter

mcb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 05:06:45 PM »
I agree with Danno. Shoot some factory ammo just to get a base line for the rifle. My .257 loves the 115 Nosler BT over a max dose of RL 25.

Good Luck , Mike
Best Regards, Mike

casing

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 07:54:21 PM »
I have been intrigued by Weatherby rifles for quite a few years. I like bench style accuracy from a sporter rifle. I've reloaded for Weatherby's a long time. My experience has been they shoot better at max load. They are finicky as well. They seem (based on my experience) to like lighter for caliber bullets and free floated barrels. Flat base bullets have always shot best for me. Sierra Pro Hunters shoot well in Weatherby rifles. I load for the 257 and mine really likes the 100 grain Hornady sp. at the range I've tried letting the barrel cool between each shot but I like three shot groups because that may be necessary in the field. When letting the barrel cool always stand it up straight and it acts like a chimney and the air will flow up through the barrel and it will cool faster. .... just keep listening to others experiences and try different things, even primers. It can be very frustrating but you will eventually hit on what your rifle likes.