Spike Camp

Slip on De-resonator for Weatherby Mark V Delux?

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: Slip on De-resonator for Weatherby Mark V Delux?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2017, 09:42:40 PM »
Bronco, I think you're doing fine, based on the latest information you've provided. You'll have a nice selection of bullet weights to try and a mess of brass for when you start loading. Good on you for getting things set now and planning a range trip before you go again. My advice was intended to help, so understand it's tough to get a clear picture of what's happening on an Internet forum, and thus my responses.

If you don't mind my asking, where are you located? It may be that someone is close to you and can offer some in person help now if you need it, or in the future when yiu get ready to handload.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2017, 09:44:06 PM »
Bronco I agree with what Danno & 224king said, I tried the barrel de-resonator to try to squeeze a little more accuracy out of an already accurate load. Try cleaning, tightening and some different ammo first. If you could supply more information on the rifle, scope, etc. it might be easier to help you.
The accuracy in my most accurate rifle went to hell and I tried several new loads and began to think I had a burnt out the barrel. Turned out to be one loose screw on a scope ring, problem solved!

Would you recommend the wheeler engineering kit for all my gun smithing? Ive just been estimating the torque ive been putting on the screws.

You may want to get the Wheeler scope mount kit for the simple fact that you can crush the tube on your scope if you over tighten the rings. Work on one problem at a time, and if Dubyam and Danno can't help you then you better head to a gunsmith.

You're too kind, Blackbear. All I know to tell you is wisdom helps us make good decisions. Wisdom is what we get from experience. Experience is what we get from making bad decisions. It's a big circle for me.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

BroncoTackler32

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2017, 10:36:22 PM »
Bronco, I think you're doing fine, based on the latest information you've provided. You'll have a nice selection of bullet weights to try and a mess of brass for when you start loading. Good on you for getting things set now and planning a range trip before you go again. My advice was intended to help, so understand it's tough to get a clear picture of what's happening on an Internet forum, and thus my responses.

If you don't mind my asking, where are you located? It may be that someone is close to you and can offer some in person help now if you need it, or in the future when yiu get ready to handload.

Thank you very much for all the advice. I live near Kansas City, Missouri.

BroncoTackler32

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2017, 09:50:55 PM »

Do you have any recommended loads for my 7mm for long range?

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2017, 08:34:40 PM »
I put one on my Fibremark .270 Wby Mag 26" barrel. It helps me shoot 1.88 groups at 425y using Wby 130gr sp ammo. Prior to installing it I was shooting 3" groups at 425. I installed the ugly donut according to directions for positioning and have not moved it. I shot 600y with my Fibremark but it wasn't for group,  just two shots to qualify. One day soon Ill shoot it at 600 for group and see if I can get a 2 or 3" group.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 08:36:15 PM by silvertipCO »
svenska50@hotmail.com
NRA LIFE MEMBER

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2017, 09:23:25 AM »
Bronco, I don't load the 7mmWby, but my advice would be to talk to the folks at Berger, and check out the Nosler data on their Web site. In my Weatherbys, I've had the best results from IMR7828, H1000, and RL22. Your rifle may like something different.

I'd also say, what works for long range paper targets may not be the best bullet for long range animal targets, so keep in mind your intended use.

For reference, the longest reliable practice option I have has been 500yds, for a long time, so I won't shoot game out beyond that, since I haven't practiced further. I have a longer practice option now, but haven't invested the time and effort to declare proficiency (and may never be comfortable doing so). The good news is, I've never had to shoot game even at 500yds, so it isn't hurting my chances. I can usually get closer than 200, but so far always closer than 450.