Spike Camp

300 Weatherby Mag

300 Weatherby Mag
« on: January 25, 2017, 01:28:19 PM »
I have a made in Japan Mark V Deluxe that I had converted over to an Accumark through the custom shop. I had an accubreak installed as well due to all of negative comments I heard after purchasing it in regards to recoil, but due my hectic work schedule I have not been able to shoot it since getting it back from the custom shop. My plans are to use this rifle as my primary big game rifle loaded out with the Barnes TTSX 165 grain bullets, but I keep getting negative feedback from many of my peers telling me that the 300 Weatherby Mag is just too much gun for that type of hunting. Any thoughts out there on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 300 Weatherby Mag
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 02:24:17 PM »
No such thing as too much gun as long as you can shoot it accurately. I don't understand your friends views as you stated it was for a big game rifle ? The Barnes 165s should work well if your gun likes them.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 05:57:47 PM »
The 300 Weatherby is a great big game rifle (except for the big bears of North America, and possibly the dangerous game of Africa) that is used on medium game all the time in the US. Some guys get hung up on using large calibers on deer, antelope, and they'll tell you its even to much gun for moose. Most of these guys are cynics and can't wait to tell you about how wrong you are for using it on all game when a much smaller caliber will surely do the same job. Just do what I do and tell them to kiss off, its your rifle and you know what your doing and why. It doesn't do any good to try and explain anything to them, because they always feel they have the higher moral ground, and they just know more than you. The 300 Wby is a great long and short distance rifle that doesn't blow up animals when their hit. There are larger and smaller calibers that can do the same job, it just comes down to whatever you choose for a hunt. I wouldn't use it on gophers or rabbits, but I'll bet some guys would, and more power to em.       
DosEquisShooter

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 08:49:48 PM »
Agree with Rodger and Danno! No such thing as too much gun. That's like saying my wife is too pretty or my truck to cool or my bank account too fat. I can't even fathom the concept.

I shoot white-tails in Alabama, ranging in size from about 10lbs on the low end up to 225-250lbs on the high end. I've shot several with my 300Wby, and I've also used a 30-30WCF, 243Win, 8x57, 30-06, 270Wby, and a host of others over time. You know what happens when I shoot a deer with my 243? It goes in the freezer and gets eaten. But when I shoot one with my 300Wby, what happens? It goes in the freezer and gets eaten. To quote a great friend of mine from Ireland, it's time to tell those guys, "Piss off, Wankers!"
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 09:52:40 PM »
How do find the recoil of your 300 WBY as I've never had the chance to shoot mine yet. I do have an accubrake so I'm not expecting anything more than a 30-06.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 06:02:30 AM »
Before I first shot my 300 - a Stainless Synthetic with a sporter weight - I was apprehensive. I had heard all the talk and was ready to get pounded. While the cartridge has some kick, I wouldn't put it in the unmanageable category, nor even scary for an experienced shooter. With a brake, I bet it's downright pleasant. I routinely shoot 18-30rds through mine in an afternoon at the range.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 06:36:21 AM »
 I have a KDF brake on my 300 Wby and I think the recoil is less than a 30-06. The accubrake is one of the best on the market, it just doesn't get the exposure that other brakes have gotten for years because its a Weatherby specific brand. The recoil you feel will not be anywhere what you might think. When you get to the range, approach it as if it were a 22lr, with no concern when squeezing the trigger and you'll be surprised how little your affected by the recoil.(using the 22lr approach, you won't flinch on the first shot, and after that you won't think about it at all when you shoot.)
DosEquisShooter

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 11:25:50 AM »
I find the .300 wby to be quite pleasant to shoot. I think you will learn to shoot it just fine. Start of with the muzzle brake on so as to get used to the feel of the rifle. Then if you are comfortable with it then why not try it without the break. I think you will be pleasantly surprised that it is not the fire breathing, mule kicking monster people have said it is.
On a side note, make sure you wear top quality hearing protection when using the rifle with the brake on!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 01:24:09 PM by BB340 »
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 02:10:12 PM »
I put 20 rounds of 127 gr. LRX 6.5-300 Weatherby thru my ULW and afterwards couldn't even remember it kicking!!! The Accubrake does an amazing job of reducing the recoil, but like BB340 you need a good set of muffs, I actually use Walker games ears or ear plugs while hunting. The 300 Bee is not to much gun for whitetails, so like Dubyam said tell em to piss off!!! It's a free country, use what you want. I've caught flake over my 6.5-300 Weatherby but absolutely love it. We are looking forward to reports on how yours shoots.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 11:52:54 AM »
I was lucky to purchase my 300 from a camp Friend.His Grandfather took this rifle to Africa using 220 and 180 grain.I have reloaded with 180 grain for deer and have had great success.I would rather be able to down size my loads than try to as they say use a hot load on a smaller caliber.I had a Friend split the barrel on a 44 mag hand gun testing the limits..Luckily he was ok.

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 10:58:00 AM »
I bought my .300 Weatherby Vanguard 7 years ago primarily as my new elk rifle, but it fast became my favorite just about everything rifle.  Besides elk, I've hunted with it in New Zealand and on multiple trips to Africa, shooting everything from 500 pound Sable antelope to 20 pound Klipspringer with it. 

I restocked it in Fancy Walnut, put a recoil reducer in the stock, and had a KDF muzzle brake installed on it. 

Last Sunday I was shooting my .300 Weatherby with 168 grain Hornaday BTHP bullets and my .308 Win Vanguard with 155 grain Hornady AMAX bullets prone at the 300 and 430 yard gongs, and the felt recoil of my .300 felt less than the recoil of my .308 Win.

My "go to" hunting bullet for my .300 Wby is the Barnes 168 grain TTSX, and my practice bullets are the 168 gr Hornady BTHPs.  They have a very similar trajectory out to 430 yards.
NRA Life Member

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 07:30:23 PM »
When I was quite a bit younger I owned a Parker Hale 30-06 that beat me up worse than th 300 Wby MV I own now, the Weatherby hasn't bruised my shoulder yet anyway.

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 05:25:29 PM »
I always get a kick out of the fact that the anti-Weatherby and anti-magnum always seem to say, "that's too much gun" or "that'll beat you up" or the best, "that'll break your shoulder".  Nonsense.  A .300 magnum caliber, whether it's a Weatherby, Winchester, or H&H is probably one of the most versatile calibers out there.  You can load them light for varmints or heavy for the grumpy grizzly as long as you place your first shot where it needs to go.  Sure there's some recoil but it's not extreme by any means, not even with a light rifle.  My Brother has a .300 Winchester Magnum, which isn't much less in the recoil department than a .300 Weatherby Magnum, in a Vanguard Back Country which weighs between 6 and 7 with the scope, rings, and bases and it doesn't beat you up.  Sure it'll get your attention but it doesn't hit you so hard that you're screaming and crying that you're going to die while you're floppin around like a fish on a hot tin roof.

If you do decide to get the break on it I will tell you this, MAKE SURE YOU'RE WEARING EAR PLUGS EVERY TIME YOU SHOOT IT.  I have a break on my .338-378 Weatherby Magnum and made the mistake of not having an ear plug in when I christened it on my bear and I thought I ruptured my ear drum.  My head was ringing for a week and the best way I can describe the pain is it felt like I was stabbed in my ear with a knife.  I got REALLY lucky that I got my hearing back and the pain stopped but I won't do that again.  Now when I'm hunting I put an ear plug in my non-shooting hand side ear because it's closer to the muzzle and my head blocks the sound waves from directly entering my shooting side ear.   
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 07:24:47 AM »
My school of thought is its better to have too much and not need it, than to need it and not have enough. I have taken many deer all over the country (we are a military family) with my .300 Wby. From big northern NY bruisers to Alabama medium size, and the .300 Wby has never failed to do its job. I use the Weatherby loaded 180 grain spitzers and every shot has been a DRT (dead right there). When folks ask what I am using and I tell them I get a standard " that's a cannon." But when they see the results, well, the proof is in the pudding. I get a little hole in, and a little hole out. Doing an estimate in my head I have shot probably 30 give or take deer, and not a single one took a step when hit. I am patient with my shots, I put it right behind the shoulder, and being in areas that don't offer long shots (average LONG shot is usually 100 yards), longest shot I've taken was approximately 250 yards and I made no adjustment for distance, aimed behind the shoulder and dropped it. I know these days of wanting faster, lighter, more capacity, I'm an old New England hunter at heart, I hunt for meat, not antlers, in all of my rifles ( all are bolt action), I use single shot benchrest followers with an extra round in my pocket. I've never filled any of my magazines, I know with the single shot follower it's really not that much slower to eject and drop another round in, but, I've never needed a second shot, call it luck. I have used Weatherby rifles chambered in .300 Wby, 30-06, .270 Win, .257 Wby and a PA-08 slug gun to take game and all have worked without fail. Hogs, bear, deer and elk, the science is matching the caliber to the game, I'm not one to try something if my gut tells me I'm not going to make a clean, ETHICAL kill. As far as ammunition, I found a pawn shop near me that sells guns, ask them to order ammunition. I am a hunter, not a shooter, in my experience the "cheap stuff" from Weatherby shoots great and has never failed, I don't reload due to the fact we move so much it's not worth setting everything up, in my Wby's chambered in non-Wby calibers I use Hornady American Whitetail ammo, its cheap, easy to find, and shooting them out of my rifles works good for me. One important thing I learned when I actually worked in a gun shop, make sure you put rock solid mounts, quality rings and don't go cheap on the optics, I've seen folks put out $1500-$2000 on a rifle and turn around and get a $40 scope, defeats the purpose. But, going back on topic, I find the .300 Weatherby to be my "go to" rifle, it is great on everything and I've never worried about recoil, honestly when the moment of truth comes, I'm so focused on my target I never even hear or feel the gun go off, I'm focused on the shot and did my target go down (they always do), ok, I'm done thanks for letting me babble
Never shoot a large caliber target with a small caliber bullet

« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 09:48:24 AM »
Welcome to the Nation, jmnyckt!!!
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member