Spike Camp

Gunsmith Seeking Work in Texas

Gunsmith Seeking Work in Texas
« on: January 28, 2017, 04:11:33 PM »
A former Soldier I know is seeking work as a gunsmith in Central or East Texas. Gunsmithing, firearm sales, range officer, firearm instructor, and/or repairs are the preferred duties. He is currently in Colorado attending gunsmithing school for more certificates and training courses. If any of you see help wanted signs at your local gun range, I'd appreciate a heads up. He is looking to relocate his wife (who's also a veteran) and small child back to Texas.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

badsection

Re: Gunsmith Seeking Work in Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »
Eyes wide open to help a vet! 

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 04:20:06 PM »
I will keep a lookout in my area Curtis.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 02:30:17 AM »
Thanks yall. I figured Nation members could use another excuse to visit their local smith or gun range.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 08:49:04 AM »
There are plenty places to apply, but the pay for a range officer, sales person, etc. is generally going to be tough to support a family on. Smithing would be a lot better in the pay department, but limited on places to work. If he has the ability to open his own gunsmith shop, potential income would be a lot higher once he got established (assuming he does good work and has an extensive knowledge base). Good smiths are like good mechanics, when the word spreads from people done right, they get busy and stay that way. He could check with Frisco Gun Club in Frisco (Dallas area). In the Houston area, there's American Shooting Centers, Carter's Country, Memorial Shooting Center, Athena Gun Club, Collector's Firearms, G2G Gun Range, Radical Firearms (they build and sell AR rifles, I know the owner), to name just a few. In College Station, there's Champion Firearms. He could also check with various Law enforcement agencies to see if there is an opening for a smith/armorer. Hope this helps for a start.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:57:39 AM by texweatherby »
Come and take it.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 09:39:51 AM »
That's more than I had to suggest to them, and a place to start is always nice. Thanks, Tex.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 10:15:52 AM »
Sure thing. I'm all in for helping a vet when possible.
Come and take it.

Clarkw

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 12:04:19 PM »
Great list Tex.    There is a well known Smith/ maker and amazing shooter in Spring Texas by the name of Aaron Roberts with Roberts Precision.  He is a former vet himself and very well connected. 

Tex68w

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 11:32:06 PM »
Great list Tex.    There is a well known Smith/ maker and amazing shooter in Spring Texas by the name of Aaron Roberts with Roberts Precision.  He is a former vet himself and very well connected.

Aaron Roberts is an excellent smith, he's done some work for myself and few buddies in the past. Cbloom, I'll keep my eyes peeled for any associated work in the area.