Spike Camp

Inherited 1956 Southgate Weatherby 300 mag ok to modify

Inherited 1956 Southgate Weatherby 300 mag ok to modify
« on: January 30, 2017, 06:32:54 AM »
I Inherited 1956 Southgate Weatherby 300 mag, this will always stay in the family. It has a Williams rear peep site but missing the screw in peep itself. It is missing the recoil pad and it obvious that my GGrandpa had a slip on recoil pad (it missing). Is this rifle too valuable to add a scope? If I do a scope, I know it is A FN Mauser action, do you get Weaver scope bases for a Mauser? Any idea on scope mounts i.e. Low or medium profile? I want to get a really high power scope for 500 yard shots in Montana (yes this has happened). I was also thinking of getting a Beartooth setup for the recoil slip on pad and rifle cover to protect it. Also, if getting scope I think the safety will have to be changed to a low profile one.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 06:55:14 AM by Turnbull »

danno50

• View Profile
Re: Inherited 1956 Southgate Weatherby 300 mag ok to modify
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 06:49:05 AM »
Just a comment, for a 500 yard distance, I don't think you would need more than a 44mm bell with AO and commensurate power 3x15 or 4x16(of course you can get bigger bells and more power, but not absolutely necessary, possibility depending on your vision) The medium profile would work with that size scope. As far as the Beartooh set up, each cushion insert for comfort will add LOP, so it may or may not give you the level of comfort you need at the correct LOP for you. 
DosEquisShooter

224KING

• View Profile
Re: Inherited 1956 Southgate Weatherby 300 mag ok to modify
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 07:20:54 AM »
Rifle is worth approx. $700 in the condition you state.You be the judge of what you want to do with it.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.