Spike Camp

Cabelas

Cabelas
« on: January 31, 2017, 08:15:11 PM »
Any thoughts on Bass Pro buying out Cabela's? I was in the store not far from me the other day and a lot of shelves were empty!! Not sure if just because of the season or them making the switch.

Re: Cabelas
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 07:37:30 AM »
I'm hoping Bass Pro doesn't run Cabela's doesn't end up putting Cabela's out of business eventually because I like Cabela's a lot better.  When it comes to the stores in Pennsylvania the Cabela's stores has more guns and hunting stuff than the Bass Pro store.  I think it's really sad that they ended up buying Cabela's since they were good competition for each other and we benefited from it, now Bass Pro doesn't have to worry about that too much and could just close Cabela's if they wanted to.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 11:46:29 AM »
Cabela's is my favorite, seems they haven't been the same after the brothers sold out. Never was a fan of Bass Pro or the Red Head line. Bass Pro was always more fishing and boating to me. Hope they don't phrase Cabela's out

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 12:33:00 PM »
I've had pretty good service out of a lot of Redhead branded gear, as well as BassPro in general. I've also had good service from Cabelas, though I don't own much of their branded gear. Both stores are now available to me nearby, which is kind of nice.

I suspect we will see the two Marquees continue as is for a while. Over time, you'll see the economy of scale take over. But what will be interesting is whether or not Sportsman's Warehouse, Scheels, or some other outdoor superstore (other than the dreadfully overpriced Gander Mountain) decides to enter the southeastern and Midwestern markets to compete with BassPro/Cabelas.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 12:36:56 PM »
I hope they do.The more competition the better.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 01:31:58 PM »
I have noticed the after the season discount is a lot less then what it used to be. During the fall season they kept resending the same email 2-3 more times, I finally sent a message to complain. After no reply in 2 weeks I unsubscribed. My local store does seem to be well stocked. Sportsman Warehouse pulled out of Minnesota a few years ago, which was unfortunate because they had a larger selection of hunting and fishing gear compared to the others.
Doug

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 02:06:32 PM »
I've had pretty good service out of a lot of Redhead branded gear, as well as BassPro in general. I've also had good service from Cabelas, though I don't own much of their branded gear. Both stores are now available to me nearby, which is kind of nice.

I suspect we will see the two Marquees continue as is for a while. Over time, you'll see the economy of scale take over. But what will be interesting is whether or not Sportsman's Warehouse, Scheels, or some other outdoor superstore (other than the dreadfully overpriced Gander Mountain) decides to enter the southeastern and Midwestern markets to compete with BassPro/Cabelas.

We have Bass Pro, Cabelas, Sportsman's Warehouse, Gander Mountain, and they are building a new Scheels, so I can drive right by any of them on my way home from work, one of the benefits of the front range of Colorado  8)

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 03:30:59 PM »
I'm not doing too bad here, either. Cabelas and Gander Mountain in my town, BassPro and Sportsman's Warehouse within a couple hours drive.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

zonie

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 03:55:43 PM »
Down in the Phoenix we have both Cabelas and Bass Pro.  Christmas shopping we were down at both  and I have to say I prefer Bass Pro for overall cleanliness, the way it was set up, and the availability of products.  Granted the two stores are kind of set up for different priorities,   fishing and hunting with a certain amount of overlap.  I asked the guys at Cabelas what the deal was and this is what they told me,  yes Bass Pro bought out Cabelas,  but from their understanding the two store brands would stay and operate separately for the two different audiences.   This was then and who knows what's going to happen in the future.  I suspect Bass Pro will have a major impact on buying and stocking preferences.  I don't foresee them closing Cabelas here anytime soon.           

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 04:00:28 PM »
There are two Bass Pro stores within 30-40 minutes of me (one of them is huge) and I enjoy looking around in there, but I don't buy very much because the prices are high, in my opinion. Guns there are close to MSRP and I never pay close to that, nobody should. The last pistol I bought I got for $201.50 below MSRP. Not happening at Bass Pro. Not to single them out - Gander Mountain is the same thing. Maybe I'm a cheapskate, but shopping around gets you way below the prices of most chains. Academy is an exception, their prices are reasonable, although you can still do better often times.
Come and take it.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 04:03:10 PM »
Besides a few gun shops, we have Bass Pro, Dicks sporting goods, Academy, a Cabela's about an hour north in Buda, and also have a "dreadfully overpriced Gander Mountain." Sportsman's Warehouse closed their doors here (a few years back) and in 123 other locations across the country in order to reduce their overall debt. I don't know how the Marquees will read in the future, but I believe that Cabela's will influence the way Bass Pro does things.
DosEquisShooter

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 04:36:02 PM »
Been to Buda a few times,but I can't remember ever buying anything there.Nice place to walk around and look things over then get the hell out of that high priced SOB.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 04:57:07 PM »
My thoughts indeed. Lol
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 05:56:10 PM »
There's a Greed Hill, Gander Mountain, near me and for the life of me I can't figure out how they're still in business with their crazy prices and low inventory.  Two of the best Greed Hill stories was a few years ago I was in there and they had two identical Ruger Blackhawk revolvers in the case, one used and one new.  The used one was $100 more expensive than the new one so for the hell of it I asked the guy behind the counter what the deal was.  He said they paid too much for the used one so they had to jack up the price.  I looked at him and asked him if he thinks anyone would pay $100 more for a used gun when they can get the identical gun new for $100 less and his exact words to me were, "we don't care, some idiot will come in and pay it".  Then a few months later I was in there and there were two college aged "men" working the gun counter and they were arguing about some football team while they were handling pistols.  At one point during the argument the one said to the other, "I should just shoot you in the face" while he was pointing the gun at him.  After that I went up and told the manager about what happened and he basically ignored me and when I got home I emailed the company.  A few years later they ended up firing a bunch of people for scamming the employee discount sale.  What they were doing was they'd buy a used gun or see one on the shelf that they wanted so they'd hide it in the back room until the night before the employee sale.  When the store closed that night they'd take them out of their hiding spots, put them on the shelves with marked down prices, and buy them at the employee discount sale.  I really makes you wonder what kind of interview they do when they hire people like this.  As for their selection slim to none is the normal and when it comes to prices they are a lot higher than any of the other local stores regardless if they're a chain store or a Mom and Pop shop.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 11:10:51 PM »
I have an intense amount of "points" on my Cabela's Visa card.  I wonder, should I go ahead and use them up, since Bass Pro bought them out, or do you think that they will make good on the points and honor them for several more years.  I was going to walk out of there with a really nice rifle/scope rig with those points.  I have walked out of the Buda Cabela's with some unbelievable deals on used guns from the used gun section.  Some times, they do not do their research.  I think their main emphasis is on new items.  MM