Spike Camp

New Bell and Carlson stock issues

New Bell and Carlson stock issues
« on: February 11, 2017, 10:15:26 AM »
I recently ordered a new Bell and Carlson stock for my .257 ultra lightweight and there seems to be a fitting issue...there's quite a bit of slop in the new one compared to the one that came with it. Just wondering if anyone has had the same issues or similar problems with b/c stocks?...backstory is I had the rifle ceracoted and had the new stock hydro dipped. Rifle looks great but I would like to find out if this is a common problem with b/c before I use the gun.

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: New Bell and Carlson stock issues
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 12:28:20 PM »
Slop is a term which could mean a lot of things. You mean it has extra room around the action, or in the barrel channel, or around the bottom metal?

If it's just a round the action, have it bedded (or do it yourself) and all will be fine.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 03:30:30 PM »
I agree with dubyam, more information is needed to really help you
Mike

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 06:42:11 PM »
Sorry for the lack of info, the slop I'm referring to is in the stock itself where the front bedding screw goes. The cutout is much larger than the stock from wby and the gap on both sides of the barrel along the forearm of the stock are alarmingly large. The stock from wby clearly had work done to it with some sort of epoxy or something similar. The photos should clear things up. (I hope) I'm curious if this is normal when buying a new stock? I'm hoping I won't have to send it to a gunsmith to get the proper fit.

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 09:49:49 PM »
The difference in size in the front action lug is unusually different in size, it's either the wrong stock or they are expecting everyone to bed it. Hopefully dubyam or someone else can help you, there's no way you can use that stock as is. I've never bedded any of my rifles myself, after my buddy forgot to use the release agent on one of his I just bring mine in.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 06:50:56 AM »
That doesn't look too sloppy, aside from that it sounds like it will move within the stock a bit. You can bed it and all this except the barrel gaps (which don't appear all that large to me, but maybe the pictures don't tell the whole story?) Will be resolved.

I'm assuming you can't return the stock because of the dipping?
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 07:32:29 AM »
It looks like your recoil lug needs to be bedded for sure so you may as well do the complete action. As far as the barrel you can also bed it to the stock, just tape the bottom of your barrel with enough tape to get a 1 to 1 1/2 business card thickness and bed the barrel to stock. Remove tape and you will have a free floated barrel. You can go to Midway USA, Harry Potter has video clips online to do this in detail, he also sells all supplies to do it. It may not seem like it, but you are in a good position because you can end up with a gun with the perfect barreled action to stock fit... Good Luck!!
Mike

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 07:33:20 AM »
Kinda looks like a barrel contour difference instead of action fit
I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 10:02:02 AM »
Your new stock, looks the same as the two,I brought last week, and the three others I got on rifles in my safe. That's the way they are built. Personally, I haven't had any problems with them yet, but if you want it tighter, then you will have to bed it.  Did you buy your ultralight new or used?? I curious, if the recoil lug bedding on your old stock was done by weatherby, or someone else, my ultralight's that I bought new, the recoil lugs are not bedded as tight as your's.

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 11:06:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll try to answer most questions. I bought the gun new a number of years ago. My dad used to be a authorized wby dealer so I took advantage of the father son discount on a couple rifles. When I ordered the stock I was assured it is the one wby uses for the .257. I ordered 3 of them at the same time, 1 for me and the other 2 for friends. They both sent their guns to a gunsmith to get cerakoted and dipped locally and received complete guns with no issues that I know of. I went the other route and did it on my own. Sent the barrel to a cerakote guy and the stock to a hydro dip guy...I can live with the contour gaps along the forearm of the stock it will just be a debris collector, but after reading everyone's replies I think I'm going to have to get the gun bedded to assure proper fit. As of now I can move the barrel 1/4"-1/2" back and forth without the bedding plate screws in it. I'm tempted to send the gun to weatherby to get bedded but I've heard it could take months to get your gun back. I'm also in store for a new bedding plate/trigger guard, during shipping mine showed up busted. Anyone have an idea how long it takes to get a new one of those??

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 08:37:00 AM »
You should be able to request bottom metal from Weatherby.  Not sure if they will replace it for free or if they'll charge you, but you can discuss that with them.  My experience with Weatherby is they are pretty responsive, so give them a call and see what happens.

I wonder if you have a stock inletted for the #2 contour barrel (which is what comes on the Sporters, Deluxes, and Weathermarks, and used to come on the Synthetics and Fibermarks), rather than the 1.5 contour ULW barrel?

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 11:41:03 AM »
You can get the complete bottom metal with trap door from Weatherby for 75 bucks.I have some metal ones I would sell if you want to get away from the cast ones they are putting on rifles now.
I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

Gary

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 09:21:51 PM »
Headshotonly, a friend finally caught the WBY bug and bought a used 300Wby Mark V with what appears to have what dubyam described as the 1.5 contour.  It came with a plastic stock without the Monte Carlo classic style comb and has "Weatherby" in three places on the stock.  He is very stressed over finding a stock to fit.  He wants a factory walnut Deluxe stock, but can only find #2 or the W. German skinny barreled stocks in wood.  I have two of the skinny #1 stocks and his barrel is too fat for them.  I put his barreled action in a B&C #2 contour stock and there was a bit of a gap which could easily not be noticed with bedding.   
Scott Arizona

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 07:18:29 AM »
Only the ULW came with the modified #1.5 contour,  to my knowledge. Measure the diameter of the muzzle. If it's .550", it's a #1 contour. If it's .600", it's a #2 contour.

Gary

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 05:39:19 PM »
dub, what is the #1.5 contour measurement?  Thanks
Scott Arizona