Spike Camp

Advice for September black bear hunt in Idaho

Re: Advice for September black bear hunt in Idaho
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 10:50:14 PM »
Take spare underwear in case one bear chases another bear up your stand tree. :o

hahaha,  ;D

beavers work great, when I bait for bears I put some oats in a barrel, soaked it in old deep fryer grease I get from the local restaurant, some old food from the dumpster behind the local store, and some beavers. Another thing I found bears like, are those mineral tubs with molasses ranchers put out for the cows. We always shoot 2-3 a year around those tubs.

Rob

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 06:56:25 AM »
Trying to figure out what the weather will be like the month of your hunt will be someones best guess. You could ask the outfitter, ask people who have been there, consult a Farmer's almanac, but truth is no one knows what the good Lord will have Mother nature do at any point in the future. That being said, the good people at the weather channel provide some weather data that they average over the years for most areas of the country. So here's their best estimate of what kind of weather you might encounter in Sept. Calendar starts in Jan, so scroll to Sept for a peek.
My suggestion would be to check the 10 day forecast for that area before you leave and keep an eye on it as your travel date gets closer, and adjust accordingly.( I always take a bit of light/and heavy wear to be safe)
 https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/83536:4:US

DosEquisShooter

Jameson

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 08:44:43 AM »
Good luck and have fun.
JP

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 12:15:45 PM »
Each bear has their own food preferences, hopefully your outfiffer has enough active baits so you don't have to worry. If you bring some extra baits to put out, make sure you don't get any on you. I've had a friend and cousin have bears follow them and actually climb the tree they were in. I've used beaver carcasses before, I'd freeze them and use a saw to cut them up in pieces so they couldn't haul the whole thing away. As long as you have a good outfitter you shouldn't have to worry about bringing much. It's a long drive, make sure you take plenty of breaks.
Doug

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 01:23:33 PM »
I was hoping to have a buddy go with me to split up some of the driving but it's going to be all on me. I have a buddy that traps and I usually get a few beavers a year from him. Maybe this year I will stick them in the deep freezer.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 02:26:44 PM »
As a seasoned black bear hunter many folks have given you great advise as usual. Molasses or liquid black licorice are a winner as well as spreading some strawberry or blueberry Kool-Aid packages around your bait site. Using a rifle for your first hunt is a great idea, seeing a bear up close for the first time can test your nerves and last but not least.........as big muddy mention, any extra pair of under wear on your person is another good idea, they are know to climb the tree your sitting in out of curiosity , LOL
Have a great hunt, good luck and look forward to your report

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 02:31:41 PM »
How long of a drive will it be for you Chris?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 02:38:26 PM »
I will put in a "plug for a product" here.

I don't know if it's available in the US (or if they ship to the US - can't see why not) but we have a small company in Quebec Canada that makes a line of attractants.

Anyhow, they sell "beaver in a bag" :)

It's kinda (almost) freeze dried in it's texture - stinky stuff - brings the bears around and stores well.

Here's their bear page if anyone is interested https://monetteoutdoor.com/shopping/en/bear-hunting

I personally use some of their products (deer, moose and bear and going to try their fishing pheromones this year) - I'm a fan :)
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 02:50:20 PM »
How long of a drive will it be for you Chris?
Roger, he told me it's a 28 hour drive not counting any stops. I told him I'm only a 1/2 mile off 94, he was thinking of maybe stopping to say Hi. Hopefully he'll stop half way to sleep.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:58:28 PM by blackbear3 »
Doug

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 03:39:13 PM »
Oh yes but your bear isn't Canadian so he wouldn't like 2 day old Tim's donuts,  lol.

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 03:46:18 PM »
^^^^ Maybe American Bears run on Dunkin, like the rest of the country :)
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

badsection

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 04:11:52 PM »
^^^^ Maybe American Bears run on Dunkin, like the rest of the country :)
+1, LOL!

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 04:40:13 PM »
I will put in a "plug for a product" here.

I don't know if it's available in the US (or if they ship to the US - can't see why not) but we have a small company in Quebec Canada that makes a line of attractants.

Anyhow, they sell "beaver in a bag" :)

It's kinda (almost) freeze dried in it's texture - stinky stuff - brings the bears around and stores well.

Here's their bear page if anyone is interested https://monetteoutdoor.com/shopping/en/bear-hunting

I personally use some of their products (deer, moose and bear and going to try their fishing pheromones this year) - I'm a fan :)
Sounds like freeze dried beaver castor.
Yep, going to try and stop to say hey to Doug if we can work it out. I would also like to stop in and say hello to Dan Toelke and his son Jared. Over the years I have talked to them so many times and came close to hunting with them so many times.
I doubt if I bring any extra underwear for curious bears but might bring some bear spray.
Someone asked earlier what round I am using. I think I might use the 127 Barnes. The outfitter really liked the Barnes bullet. Just got my Hoyt back today with a new string and cable. With that I am using Easton FMJ shafts(340 spine)and either muzzy 4 blade or one of the Slick Trick broadheads. I use a little over 70@28.5 so I don't think I will have an issue with penetration. I like the holes 4 blade put in deer.
Thank you guys for all the help and to the folks that are wishing me good luck.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2017, 06:33:40 PM »
Well maybe I should bring a camera man just in case
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member