Spike Camp

Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® Safari Custom

Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® Safari Custom
« on: July 27, 2007, 12:23:38 PM »
Satin oil-finished, French walnut modified Monte Carlo stock with Fleur-de-lis checkering. Ebony forend and pistol grip cap. Damascened bolt and follower with checkered bolt knob and hand-honed action. Adjustable ramp, gold-filled “V” and a hooded barrel band front sight. Engraved floorplate with “Safari Custom.”

Myke77

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® Safari Custom
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 10:19:43 PM »
wow I love this gun. Ive never actualy had a chance to handle one in person. I dont understand why this one has to be SO much more expensive. I can understand a safari model being a bit more money but I couldnt even come close to affording this gun so I had to buy a safari gun in the form of a winchester model 70 safari.

skyline

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 11:07:35 AM »
I have always wanted to see one and handle it, but I can honestly say I have yet to see one in any of the stores I have been in up here in Canada. Maybe next year when I am down at the SCI Convention.

Unsub5150

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 03:24:36 PM »
I have been fortunate to have held and shot one in 460wby mag.  They are not much different to hold that the Mark V Deluxe.  The major difference, to me, was the beauty and craftsmanship in the rifle compared to the Mark V Deluxe.  The nice French walnut with Fleur-de-lis checkering, the bolt and follower, and the extra little details make it an extraordinary piece.  Somewhat like the Crown Custom, only a little less flashy.

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 03:47:40 PM »
I have one in .416 Weatherby mag. Absolutely stunning. Iron sights were spot on and factory 400gr SAFs as well as monolithic solids chrono'ed at 2,725fps and 2,736fps repectively over the Oehler 35P.
Just mounted a satin gray Leupold VX-7 1.5-6X on Talley QR mounts - the combination looks even better. I was initally disappointed to have sold my Euromark but after getting this, I am feeling much better now ;D.
Paul
Paul
Don't save the best for last, the smile for later or "Thanks" for tomorrow.

kbs270

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 06:33:47 PM »
great looking gun but the barrels are to long and the price is to high for most people.

avagadro

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 05:23:02 PM »
great looking gun but the barrels are to long and the price is to high for most people.

#4 contour 22" in 375 H&H would be perfect :)

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 05:33:23 PM »
Don't take this the wrong way...because I do like Weatherby rifles, but there are better safari rifles at a much lower price.  The Safari Custom is ornate to be sure, but I'll skip the fancy part for superior functionality and performance.  I suspect this won't be a popular response, but it is just my opinion.
JK

txpitdog

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 09:16:34 PM »
I've got a nifty 378 Euromark with the +1 mag well that Iwwant to put iron sights on.   It currently has a FXIII 6x42.   Figure that oughta do what needs doin' if I ever get the chance to do it. 

Wbypoor

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 09:58:36 AM »
I've got 4 of these Safari Customs, a 300, 340, 378, and 416.  They are simply wonderful to field and if you don't understand the cost, then you don't "get it".  Things of an astetic nature can be challenging to place a value on as we all have different value systems.  For that, I've been searching for a Safari in 460 for several years and when I cross paths with a good one I won't hestitate to add it to my megar collection of these wonderful rifles.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 06:02:10 PM »
I have one in .416 Weatherby mag. Absolutely stunning. Iron sights were spot on and factory 400gr SAFs as well as monolithic solids chrono'ed at 2,725fps and 2,736fps repectively over the Oehler 35P.
Just mounted a satin gray Leupold VX-7 1.5-6X on Talley QR mounts - the combination looks even better. I was initally disappointed to have sold my Euromark but after getting this, I am feeling much better now ;D.
Paul

And used it to take Cape buffalo, Kudu, Blue Wildebeest and Impala.
Paul

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 08:19:24 PM »
Very nice, congratulations on some fine animals
I don't know much about African game but that Kudu looks really good

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 09:13:42 PM »
Look's like the 416 Wby did great,  8) nice looking trophy's, very nice kudo. What was the spread on the buff?

Rob

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 09:27:02 PM »
Look's like the 416 Wby did great,  8) nice looking trophy's, very nice kudo. What was the spread on the buff?

Rob

Thanks gents
Buff was only 39” but boss was big and solid. Old boy.
Paul

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 06:43:37 PM »
I have plans to get the Safari Custom in 416 WBY mag too. Won't be for a while yet, but it will happen lol.
Thinking it will be great for an elephant hunt I am going to do one day in the future...
Aussie gun nut.