Spike Camp

Recoil lug bedding

RB123

Recoil lug bedding
« on: March 04, 2017, 09:27:12 AM »
Hi guys! I'm a newbie here but I've gotten lots of good info from all of you in the past. So wanted to start by saying thank you!
I'm in the process of ordering a new stock for my older vanguard synthetic 30-06. I'm leaning towards ordering the fiberguard directly from the weatherby custom shop. This would be the same stock that comes on the vanguard RC model. It's green with aluminum pillars.
Since weatherby beds the recoil lugs on these models from the factory I plan to do the same. However, I've never done anything like this before, and from what I've read weatherby's recoil lug is unique in the fact that the front action screw attach through the recoil lug.
1. Having said that does this mean I should not tape off the bottom of the recoil lug prior to bedding?
2. For those of you that have done this should I tighten the action screws while the bedding material hardens or just settle the barreled action in the stock and let it dry without any tension?

Thanks much!

Re: Recoil lug bedding
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 02:14:51 PM »
Welcome to the Nation!!! I've never bedded any of my rifles, hopefully someone with that knowledge will see your post. It can get fairly quiet on the weekend here on the Nation. I have a S1 and a S2Accuguard in 257 Weatherby and love both of them. 
Doug

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 07:39:58 PM »
Unclekax

RB123

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 07:05:41 PM »
Thanks for the link unklekax. Those guys put some really informative videos together. However, my main concern cannot be answered in that video because model 700 does not have an integrel recoil lug. I'm really trying to figure out the best way to keep bedding material out of the recoil lug bolt and sleeve.
1. Use a plug or guide bolt of some sort for the bolt sleeve. Which wouldn't allow one to tighten the stock in place with the action screws.
2. Use a release agent. It may be this simple. However, there will still be bedding material that will get into the recoil lug bolt sleeve.
3.??????????

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 08:13:39 PM »
If you click on the search tab at the top of the page and then put in bedding, it will show all the past threads. Hopefully you can find one to help you.
Doug

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 08:25:32 PM »
You really only have a couple of options. If I were bedding a Mark V I'd strongly consider using guide screws and surgical tubing to bed it, but that's just me. You could, in theory, use a guide screw, remove it after action insertion, clean out any compound with a q-tip, and then torque down a thoroughly release-agent coated action screw. But I'm kind of with Ernie the Gunsmith on using action screws to torque down the action during bedding. It will introduce any imperfections in the stock to the bedding job by torquing the action into them.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

Stacy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 11:18:38 AM »
The answer to your question is no. Do not place a layer of tape on the bottom of the Vanguard recoil lug.

I've been through this before with a Vanguard 30-06. I bedded the recoil lug with a layer of tape on the bottom on an S2 30-06 three times and each time the action would torque when I tightened down the front action screw. You can determine this two ways. One is by tightening the action screws and while holding the barrel and fore end with your fingers on one hand, loosen the recoil lug action screw and if the action is being torqued you will feel the barrel spring away from the stock as you loosen the screw. (There are ways to actually measure this too but I don't use em)

A second way to check to see if the action is torqued is to apply Prussian Blue on the bottom of the receiver and recoil lug. Tighten the action screws, remove them and the barreled action from the stock and look to see where the blue has been transferred to the stock. When I did this I could plainly see more blue on one side of the stock but not the other, indicating the receiver did not sit evenly in the stock because of the torque. I could also see blue on the bottom of the recoil lug recess on one side showing the recoil lug did not bear evenly on the stock.

I've done this same Prussian Blue test on Model 700s, Model 70s and Browning Abolts and their receivers all sat evenly in the stock.  My local gunsmith bedded that S2 30-06 for me and it passed the Prussian Blue test.  I also had Hill Country Rifles accurize a Vanguard 338 WM for me and they too did not use a layer of tape on the bottom of the recoil lug. Hope this help.