Spike Camp

Suggestions on re-Barreling a Vanguard 7mm

Rapturee

Suggestions on re-Barreling a Vanguard 7mm
« on: March 08, 2017, 05:21:16 PM »
Hello all, i'm not new to Weatherby's but i am new here. I just purchased a nice older Vanguard VGL with a short 20" barrel and i'd like to re-barrel it to a 24" or 26". Do the Vanguards have left handed threads on the barrel? What options are out there? Has anyone else done a barrel swap?  :{)

danno50

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions on re-Barreling a Vanguard 7mm
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 06:02:16 AM »
I know the threading is "metric", but not sure about them being left hand threads
DosEquisShooter

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 06:06:29 AM »
Threads are 26mm 1.5 pitch.
DosEquisShooter

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 10:27:43 AM »
You could contact Weatherby, as I suspect they will be happy to rebarreled your Vanguard with a longer barrel. Understand that your rebarreled will also require either a new stock or having the barrel channel of your existing stock opened up to accommodate the new barrel, as I'm sure you won't want a contour like the 20" lightweight for which your current stock is cut.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

Rapturee

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 12:33:16 PM »
So i have the started working part-time at a gunsmithing shop in my area, "Long Range Customs". While there, i have been allowed to work on my own Weatherby rifles under their close supervision. I have learned from here that the Vanguard barrel threads are Metric, but i have not been able to personally confirm that.

I removed the 20" barrel from my Vanguard VGL 7mm Mag and in checking the threads on it, it seems to match the Winchester threads at 1 x 16tpi. Incidentally, i attempt to "Gently" thread on a Winchester barrel and it threads right on. However, it starts getting snug about 3/4 of the way on. Does anyone have any experience with this... Thanks,   :{)

Rapturee

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 03:09:53 PM »
after an hours worth of digging i found a site that has new barrels!!    :{)

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Weatherby-33563/Vanguard-42559.htm

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 03:55:55 PM »
Thanks for the info and link.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 04:49:51 PM »
Are you using the same stock? Did you order a 24 or 26" barrel and what contour did you choose? Are you staying with the 7 mag? Just curious.
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.