Spike Camp

Major problems with SA-08 20 ga compact

Major problems with SA-08 20 ga compact
« on: March 12, 2017, 10:02:14 PM »
After the first shot is fired the carrier becomes locked and you can not load fresh ammo into the magazine unless you press the bolt release button (not the carrier lock button but the BOLT release button) even though the bolt is not locked back which then frees the carrier and more shells can be added.

On top of that sometimes after a few shots (if the magazine is not empty) a shell gets released from the magazine and then gets stuck under the carrier.

Then other times during a cycling after firing a shot the carrier fails to angle up enough to feed the next shell up into the chamber causing a jam when the bolt starts to come forward.

Finally, the last weird thing its doing is when the gun is unloaded and the bolt is locked back and you press the bolt release button the bolt should then cycle freely however the bolt is locking back after the second cycling.

Any thoughts before I sent it to Weatherby

Re: Major problems with SA-08 20 ga compact
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 04:13:04 AM »
One of the other members may know what's going on with your sa,make a call to Weatherby they will promptly have an answer and get you up and running is my best advise I'm sure more members will tell you the same.

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 01:33:53 PM »
I found another guy with a thread on the Shotgunworld.com forms with a SA-08 that has the same problem as mine.  His was a 3 year old gun with 2000 rounds through it... mines a 5 month old gun with 150 rounds through it.

Maybe this is a common issue for the SA-08?

I called Weatherby and they told me to send it in.  They sent me a shipping box that arrived yesterday so that was pretty quick.

Hopefully the rest of the process is as smooth.

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 05:01:29 PM »
Weatherby called me today...... they received the gun on the 21st..... today is the 29th.

They were able to reproduce the problem.  The trigger assembly was messed up apparently. 

According to the gunsmith components in the trigger assembly were "marred" and interfering with the bolt release button and carrier.

They replaced the trigger assembly under warranty and test fired the gun with 2 different types of ammo and said the gun was functioning properly again.  Its being shipped to me tomorrow 2 day shipping.

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 07:02:11 PM »
That's great news, nothing better then good customer service. Hope you have no future problems.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

jmnyckt

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 02:48:45 AM »
I'm a believer that customer service can make or break a company, and I've yet to see anything negative about Wby customer service, and my experiences have been exceeds expectations from information, to ordering, to answering any of my stupid questions, they are always friendly and I have never felt belittled or rushed when I call needing information. Top notch in my opinion. I had a shotgun from the company with the "buck head", at 20 yards it patterned 6 inches left of an 8 inch pie tin. I sent the pictures to their service department, i was told it was operator error. My wife (an Army officer), and a co-worker of hers, (a former Army Ranger), fired at the same target, this time on a bench with it rested, at 20 yards with full choke. Same results, 6 inches left, meaning the CLOSEST pellet was 6 inches left of an 8 inch pie tin. Sent those pictures, told operator error isnt covered by anyone. I was so frustrated i sold it and told the person why, im not shady, i was up front. He said it was fine, he really only wanted the gun minus the barrel because he had a slug barrel he was putting on. He fired it with the shot barrel and he said it didnt come close, put the slug barrel on and it is great. No great loss, i went and got a Weatherby
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 03:31:17 AM by jmnyckt »

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 01:49:58 PM »
They replaced the trigger assembly under warranty and test fired the gun with 2 different types of ammo and said the gun was functioning properly again.  Its being shipped to me tomorrow 2 day shipping.

Well whats the verdict, good as new and flawless?
DosEquisShooter

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 05:05:44 PM »
Great news, and this story is yet another proof that Weatherby stands behind their product 100%.  Well done Weatherby, one of many reasons why I own Weatherby products.