Spike Camp

6.5-300

6.5-300
« on: March 16, 2017, 06:28:31 PM »
In the process of acquiring a 6.5-300 ULW and was wondering what factory ammo seems to be working best for everyone? Seems that all I have seen is regarding the 127gr Barnes. I'm going to reload once I figure out what bullet I want to go with, just curious about the factory load accuracy. Thanks guys.

PARA45

• View Profile
Re: 6.5-300
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 06:55:13 PM »
I am surprise no one has replied to your post.  But, from what I've read on here, the 127 seems to be the one that is winning.  I'd say, let your rifle tell you what she likes.  ;D  Good luck, and keep us posted on which bullet you end up with.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 06:43:49 AM »
Thanks para. I'm not a huge barnes fan but it may have to work. I used the ttsx several years ago to take a mule deer with my 300wby and it took 3 shots to finally get him down. The first blew up on the ribs never entered the chest cavity,  second shot was shoulder to try to drop him and only penciled through. The final shot was neck due to trying to end the chase in a quick manner. The range was 150 yards. After that experience, I am a little hesitant to use them. Also he ran after the first 2 shots...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:40:54 AM by dmm08300 »

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 08:21:00 AM »
Hunh
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 06:21:30 PM »
Your experience with Barnes is exactly why I will NEVER buy another box of Federal ammo. 200yds with a 7mm Rem mag 3 shots and just blew hide off the ribs of a mule deer that I had a draw for. Never tried Barnes always been a Hornady hunter every thing I ever shot with a Hornady stayed put that sold me.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 09:36:59 PM »
+1 King
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 10:18:00 PM »
dmm08300, I'm curious what bullet weight of the ttsx and load you was using, in your 300 Wby that failed you. I've never used the ttsx, so I can't comment on them, I did have some mid to heavy weight for caliber tsx's give me poor expansion on small thin skin game before. But I'm finding it hard to believe that a barnes bullet blew up and failed to reached the chest cavity, even if a barnes loses all it's petals, the rest of the bullet will still keep going.

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 04:37:45 AM »
Northern Hunter - I shoot some hornady bullets in several rifles and they shoot well, never taken any game with them though unfortunately. I may have to give them a try.

Catskinner- The ttsx was 150gr at pretty modest velocity. I couldn't believe it blew up either. I wish I had taken pictures of the hole in the hide on the ribs. It dropped him when it hit and then he got up and bolted. Ran about 100 yds and stopped and i shot him again in the shoulder. After the shoulder shot he dropped and we waited 15-20 minutes and started to approach and he jumped up and tried running again, made it about 50-75 yds and I put the last shot on him in the neck. It seemed as though the whole thing just exploded, it may have only been that one bullet, because one of my friends I was hunting with shot a buck that was standing with the buck I killed using his 300, the same barnes load we worked up together and his performed very well.  The only other experience I had with Barnes was a 90gr x bullet in the 240wby hunting whitetails here in VA and it preformed well.  I wish I knew what happened,  just has me a little worried after the mule deer experience...

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 06:28:03 AM »
These are the first times I have heard of barnes bullets not penetrating. If you hear anything negative about them most of the time it is that they don't open up enough. I built a bullet recovery box and filled it with a mix of 50/50 saw dust and sand. Wet it down and shoot into it. Have recovered many different calibers of barnes bullets and almost all performed perfect. None have blown up. The other bullet that almost always performs well is a Nosler partition. This mixture is close to hitting bone and chest cavity, or the wet soggy stomach or gut area. I am not saying that these bullets didn't fail you guys but I think it is very rare rather than the norm. The 150 grain should have been the right choice in bullet weight for mule deer also. Aside from the bullet recovery box I have taken close to 30 big game animals with barnes bullets, without a problem. So its very interesting to hear of the performance you guys got out of them. It goes to show that nothing is perfect and any thing can happen under different circumstances.
Mike

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 06:41:13 AM »
.257- maybe I should give them another try. I couldn't believe it blew up either. The hide had a large hole but I couldn't find any evidence that it penetrated at all. All in all they got the job done eventually, just couldn't believe any deer could absorb 3 shots with a 300wby at that range. The whitetail I shot with the 240 was at the bottom of a steep ridge from me about 100yds and that x bullet broke the spine on entry broke the sternum on exit and went front to back through the bone on the rear leg, it was incredible. That was the reason I chose barnes for the mule deer hunt. I'm sure the one bullet must've been a fluke based on the luck everyone else has with them. May have to give them another chance.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 06:15:57 PM »
Quote: Catskinner- The ttsx was 150gr at pretty modest velocity.

Heres a disclaimer, I haven't used Barnes TTSX ammo yet,(but I plan to) but as I understand it, the reason monolithic bullets are used on game is because they can handle high impact speeds, so I'm not sure that modest velocity, be it 50 or 250 feet slower, than necessary, may very well cause a failure. Someone like my friend "Duby" who uses E-Tips exclusively can probably explain it a whole lot better, so I won't try. This is just an opinion, but possibly that same 150 gr. bullet in a factory load at optimum velocities may have gotten the job done. Not criticizing your handloading at all, just another point of view to try an account for the TTSX failure.
DosEquisShooter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 07:36:29 PM »
Even if his load is 250 fps off 300 wby max loads, it would put it in the 308, 30-06, vel range. Which is more than enough. I would have to check to make sure but I think Barnes lists these bullets optimum range down to 1800 fps. The thinking is that the bullet blew-up so that would take more vel not less. Like danno said this is another point of view
Mike

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 09:03:16 PM »
Perhaps there was something wrong with that one particular projectile... I am a devout Barnes fan and have taken a lot of animals with them. Never once have I had one fail. Well except for the time I used to big a caliber and projectile, hit the animal way to far back and had the projectile sail on thru with no expansion. But that was my fault as I didn't match bullet to game and then a bad shot to top it off.
I do however much prefer the standard TSX over the TTSX. I find the TTSX expands a little to quick for my liking and much prefer the way the TSX penetrates a bit further before expanding.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 05:51:52 AM »
Danno-I had never given any thought to it being too slow, that is an interesting possibility.

Bb340- it very well may have been just that individual bullet. From what everyone says, it seems the lrx is tailor-made for the 6.5-300. On the opposite end of the spectrum,  I have had very good luck with 87gr Berger hunting vld's in my 240wby on deer. Never had one make it beyond 30 yds.

I really appreciate all of the feedback and opinions on the matter!

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 11:35:29 AM »
I have an ULW 6.5-300 and have had excellent results with the factory 127 ammo. I have the factory 130 Scirocos and 140 Aframe, but have not had the time to shoot it. My sons Accumark has liked the 127 and 130 6.5-300 factory ammo for what it's worth. Congratulations you'll love this rifle!!
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member