Spike Camp

6.5-300

Re: 6.5-300
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 03:49:20 PM »
Black bear - thank you. I'm pretty excited about it.  I just picked up some 130gr accubonds to try out with some us 869 powder. The previous owner said they had the 127gr lrx shooting well. Can't wait to get it in hand and shoot it. Have you noticed a difference in accuracy with and without the accubrake?

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 06:47:37 PM »
I wish I could answer that, but my wife has been very sick and I've been her caretaker 24/7 for many many months. Rifle season last November I wore my Walker muffs since I never tried removing it. I ended up taking a large doe with the 127's and it performed perfectly. Plan on using the 140 Aframes on a cow elk hunt in October if my rifle likes them. There is a trade off using the Barnes, but they have been pushing laws to make lead ammo illegal here too, so  I've been trying to switch over in most of my firearms.
Doug

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 07:26:25 PM »
Sorry to hear about your wife, hope things get better soon for both of you! Mine may make a trip on an elk and mule deer hunt this year in Colorado. I think I finally got my 300wby straightened out so I will likely take that. I just can't wait to get some shooting in with the 6.5 and take it hunting.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 02:09:40 PM »
I can't imagine what caused the blowup of that Barnes, but off the cuff, I'd say the velocity was high and the impact was too much for the bullet - but that's pure conjecture on my part.  No telling what may have been wrong with that particular bullet, or what it may have impacted 3' from the animal (heavy grass or twig or something) which might have started expansion and thus caused the initial impact on game to be catastrophic failure.  Hard to guess on a situation like this.

I've shot a number of white-tails with monoliths, ranging from small-ish (120lbs) on up to pretty good sized (160-175lb) and the results have pretty well been the same.  Now, I use the Nosler E-Tip, because it doesn't foul my bores as badly as the Barnes, but the performance should be similar.  My shots have been from bow range (<30yds) on out to about 200yds, with impact velocities ranging from 3350+ down to 2800fps.  With all but one shot, the entry has been caliber-sized, and the exit has been half-dollar sized or maybe just bigger.  Tracking has been easy on all but one - and that one was my fault for hitting a little back and busting the liver and left lung.  Blood trail didn't start for about 75yds or so, but only lasted maybe 50-60yds, and Ray Charles could have followed it once it started.  I had one shot not exit the animal, and that one went corner to corner on a big doe at 200yds.  It was a 180gr from my 300Wby, and the deer was standing just so for the shot, the bullet entered the left shoulder, at the front, through the joint, through the chest cavity, back along the right side, through the rear hip joint, and stopped right under the hide on the back edge of her ham.  She was just over 100lbs dressed, which put her at about 140-155lbs estimated live weight.  Jawbone said she was 5.5yrs old, according to my notes.  Linear penetration was over 4', closer to 5'.

I wouldn't trade the performance of E-Tips from my Weatherbys for any other bullet at this point, based on my field experience.  I can't speak directly to the Barnes because I haven't taken game with them.  They're not as hard as the gilding metal alloy of the E-Tip and Hornady GMX, so they won't hold together as well under extreme duress, but that's like saying they're only atom bomb proof, not hydrogen bomb proof...

If I were shooting a 6.5 at thin skinned game, and expected ranges to vary from potentially close to very far, I'd strongly consider the E-Tip as a handloading proposition.  I shoot the 130gr in my 270Wby (mv 3420fps at best accuracy) and I shoot the 180gr in my 300Wby (mv 3280fps).  In the 6.5, you're limited to 120gr weight, though, so maybe that's not ideal.  Regardless, there are good options out there.  Good luck!
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 05:16:14 PM »
I doubt I or anyone else will ever know for certain what caused that bullet to act like it did. I may have to try the e tips out for whitetails here in VA. I also have two 6.5 x 47s that love 120gr bullets and I think that would be plenty for our deer. I appreciate the advice and may have to five them a whirl in my 300wby as well.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 06:38:23 PM »
All I can tell you regarding using E-Tips (or any of the monoliths) is that impact velocity needs to be high, as per my experience. I don't use monoliths in my standard chamberings, so unless you can launch that 120gr somewhere faster than 3200fps from your 6.5x47, they may not be the best choice.

Really, I think monoliths are best at impact velocities above 2400fps. They will work below that, but not nearly as well, I don't think. I dont, however, have any real field experience with them at slower impact velocities than 2800fps so I'm just making an estimated guess on where the floor lies.

But for hyper-velocity rounds like the Weatherbys, the monoliths seem to be a perfect pairing.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 06:47:39 PM »
May have to pass on trying them in the 6.5x47 then. I would like to give them a go in the 6.5-300 though, should be great for our little whitetails. Thanks for the input dubyam!

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 08:18:12 PM »
If my experience with a 270Wby pushing a 130gr E-Tip at 3420fps is any indication, you won't have much tracking to do unless you muff the shot placement. I'm guessing the 120 at 6.5-300 velocities is all you'd want or need on deer and antelope, for as far or farther than you can shoot, and farther than I could shoot.

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2017, 04:52:10 AM »
I think it would be a very flat shooting combination.  According to the data in handloader magazine, they list speeds up to 3661fps with us869 powder, that is screaming. Something like that would have to be devastating.

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 05:06:56 PM »
Just wanted to post an update. I picked the rifle up Tuesday and got to shoot it yesterday after work. The rifle seems to really like the 127lrx factory ammo. I will have to pick up some 127lrx to reload. Has anyone loaded any 127 lrx yet? I have the data from handloader magazine and it looks like us869 is the powder to try. I should have measured  COAL of one of the factory rounds to use as a starting point. Does anybody have one they can measure? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2017, 06:40:07 PM »
Horrible group, is your rifle for sale??? LOL!!  I measured a 127 LRX, 3.5" or 89mm.
Doug

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2017, 06:58:43 PM »
Thank You! No, it's not for sale haha. So far I love it. The new series trigger is very nice. Between the previous owner and myself there is almost 100 rounds down the barrel (98 I believe). I'm hoping to match that accuracy with some reloads, may be a tough task!

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2017, 09:06:09 PM »
I was thinking about the bullet you had blowup, and I remembered my buddy in Denver had the same thing happen to him with his 300 win on a whitetail when the first shot blew up on his chest. After a finishing shot we went back and searched the area were he first shot and we happened to notice a couple saplings had been shot off 20 yards away. We finally decided that the bullet started to tumble and actually must have hit the deer with the side of the bullet.
99% sure we will draw cow tags in gmu76 in Colorado, so I am hoping to use my ULW 6.5-300 there in October. Hope you find a Handload that shoots as well as the factory ammo, that's going to be tough to beat.
Doug

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2017, 04:52:08 AM »
It's going to be hard to beat for sure. I'm positive the bullet I had blow up didn't hit anything prior to the deer. This was in the prairie type setting, had very short grass (maybe ankle height), no trees, and he was slightly higher than me elevation wise, 2-4'. I was standing for the shot and I'm 6'7" so I was definitely above grass height haha. It was probably just something wrong with that particular bullet and I think I will have to give the lrx a try. Knowing how much it likes them, I think that is the best starting point.

Fotis

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2017, 09:34:41 AM »
127 at 3540 and .4" in my accumark

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com