Spike Camp

Movies

Re: Movies
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2017, 09:11:49 PM »
I think back about the men and women I was privileged to work with, guys like Billy Burton, Randy Hall (who is still working), Diamond Farnsworth, "Judo" Gene LeBell, Dean Smith, Tony Epper (all the Eppers), Tommy Huff, Buddy Joe Hooker, Conrad Palmisano, great ones I got to meet, even if I never worked with them, guys like Ben Johnson (I hunted with him once--man, could he snore!), Dick Farnsworth, Yakima Canut, so many others (and some I know I've overlooked) who combined great talent with absolute lunacy, and all I can think is how much they contributed to the magic and history of Hollywood. It was fun while it lasted.
JP

Those names bring back some memories, :) I like the old westerns where you could tell who was the "Real" cowboy. Ben Johnson and Slim Pickens come to mind. I always watch for the stagecoach driver cause quite often it was Monte Montana, he live about 4 miles west of us when he was a little boy. Rumor has it he was born there but Wolf Point MT makes a better story.
Have you read the Englishman's Boy or seen the movie?
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2017, 09:30:40 PM »
If your talking about great western movie's, you have to put the Magnificent Seven as one of the top western movies of all times. One of the greatest collection of actors in that one too!!!
Doug

badsection

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2017, 05:27:31 AM »
If your talking about great western movie's, you have to put the Magnificent Seven as one of the top western movies of all times. One of the greatest collection of actors in that one too!!! You are talking about the old version and not the recent remake?

jmnyckt

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2017, 05:55:40 AM »
As far as Weser she go, my two favorites are 'Hang 'em High' and 'Blazing Saddles'. Both were great in their own right, Clint Eastwood nailed it in that role and I just can't deny the comedy genius of Gene Wilder. Up there as well is the 'Outlaw Josey Wales'
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 07:05:12 AM by jmnyckt »

badsection

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2017, 06:21:16 AM »
Tombstone, The Shootist, The Good the bad and the Ugly, and Unforgiven are 4 of my favorites!   ;D

Jameson

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2017, 08:48:10 AM »

Those names bring back some memories, :) I like the old westerns where you could tell who was the "Real" cowboy. Ben Johnson and Slim Pickens come to mind. I always watch for the stagecoach driver cause quite often it was Monte Montana, he live about 4 miles west of us when he was a little boy. Rumor has it he was born there but Wolf Point MT makes a better story.
[/quote]
Monte Montana was my wife's neighbor and friend back when she was acting and showing cutting horses. We just saw him the other night in one of the best Westerns ever filmed, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance." For those of you who don't know who he was or what he did, watch "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" and look at the scene near the end at the political rally. Montana rides a drop-dead gorgeous paint into a building, up onto a stage, and proceeds to do some trick roping while standing on his horse on a small stage with a lot of actors clustered around him. It's proof Montana was one of the all-time great horse trainers. Not to mention pretty good with a rope.
JP

badsection

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »
I will have to re watch "the Man who shot Liberty Vallance"  Another of my favorites, "Big Jake"   ;D

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2017, 05:14:33 PM »

Monte Montana was my wife's neighbor and friend back when she was acting and showing cutting horses. We just saw him the other night in one of the best Westerns ever filmed, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance." For those of you who don't know who he was or what he did, watch "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" and look at the scene near the end at the political rally. Montana rides a drop-dead gorgeous paint into a building, up onto a stage, and proceeds to do some trick roping while standing on his horse on a small stage with a lot of actors clustered around him. It's proof Montana was one of the all-time great horse trainers. Not to mention pretty good with a rope.
JP
[/quote]

We have a picture of my son and Monte in Plentywood MT. Lane was about 3 at the time.
He was also just around the hill from the yard at a cairn dedication for the old NWMP post here in the Big Muddy. The team carrying the dignitaries up to the unveiling refused to go any farther. Monte got off the carriage and took the whip to the teams hind legs. Quite a sight and it's what the team needed before but the owner of the team didn't know what to think of the deal.  :) :)
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2017, 08:11:35 PM »
Just favorite westerns:
The Cowboy's, John Wyane/Bruce Dern  first time Wayne gets killed in a movie on screen by an actual actor.(other deaths were anonymous or off screen) 1972
The Shootist, John Wayne and a great cast. He dies in this one too, but not till he kills all the bad guys. 1976
Shane, Alan Ladd/Jack Palance aka Jack Wilson kills Stonewall Torrey in cold blood in a muddy street.dramatic for its time. 1953
Alternate: Hombre, Paul Newman/Richard Boone and Mexican bandit Frank Silvera.(bandit,"Hey hombre! A compliment on your shooting! You put a hole in me! Whew. I never had a bellyache like this since I'm a little boy. Hey amigo! Friend! I'm going to give you back this bullet.")  1967           
DosEquisShooter