Spike Camp

FFP or SFP? And BT or Custom T?

FFP or SFP? And BT or Custom T?
« on: March 21, 2017, 06:39:46 AM »
Just ordered. New Accumark in 257. I hunt in open spaces for small coues deer.  Will use on Lope hunt too. But shots will always be over 300 and can be at 500 to 700.  I'm comfortable now to 400.
Looking for a new scope and then practice to extend range

So..
FFP or SFP. And why.  I like the idea on consistent drop with FFP. But I'll most likely always be at max power so maybe it's not needed

I like my CDS on Leupold but it's a bummer to have it for o e load.
Should do ballistic turret

Price range $1000 to $1500

Thanks

• View Profile
Re: FFP or SFP? And BT or Custom T?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 08:24:48 AM »
Look under optics. I have a post there on a new Vortex viper gen II. So far this is a great scope. Have it mounted on a .257
Mike

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 05:32:48 PM »
I have a Burris Veracity FFP mounted on my 257.

I love the scope and would put another one on any "long range capable" gun that might be used at varying distances. Most of my standard caliber rifles are (self imposed) 300 yard rifles so the FFP would be a wasted function and cost.

With FFP scopes, and I looked through what was available when I bought the Burris (sell scopes so had a bit of variety), the big thing is the reticle.

Some were not well thought out and look the size of a 2X4 when you crank up the magnification. Burris uses a tapered reticle that is functional no matter what magnification you have it set at. My point is, this is not they style of scope you want to buy "unseen" on the internet - you really need to check it out in person, it is a "different" scope experience than you are used to if you have never used one.

If you are fairly certain that you will use your scope mainly at max magnification then perhaps your dollars would be better spent getting a (better) SFP scope for the same money as a comparable FFP.
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

mikhail2400

• NRA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 01:41:10 AM »
Ive been doing alot of reading on long range shooting and the optics for it. Like galamb said if your sure you will pretty much all ways be at full power why go with a FPF at all or even a variable power scope for that matter? I mean you can get a fixed power scope for a good price alot of times
Also ive been had quite a few folks tell me to check out SWFAs company line of scopes. Been getting great reviews at a pretty decent price. While my scope budget is a bit lower than yours ive been thinking about their SS 16x42 Tactical Riflescope to use as my starter scope for longer range shooting. Im a beginner to this so figured i wouldnt break the bank with one of the expensive pieces of glass.
"The shot of the century" June 27th 1874, Billy Dixon shot an Indian standing beside Chief Quanna Parker from "about a mile away" ending the 2nd Battle of Adobe Walls
The shot was made with a borrowed Sharps 50-90. He didnt think his own 45-90 Sharps had the range.