Spike Camp

Reassurance please

jmnyckt

Reassurance please
« on: March 26, 2017, 10:29:39 AM »
Went to the range today and deviated from my usual sight in distance. I usually sight in at 50 yards, one inch high centered over bull. Today I tried shooting at 100 yards, first time in a very long time. I was using:
Wby Vaguard S2 in .30/06
Hornady 150 grain American Whitetail
Nikon Scope with DNZ Game Reaper mounts
Conditions were sunny with a 10-15 MPH, left to right wind
These were my five shots out the gate with the boresight only
I know it looks ok, I'm sure folks do way better, think it would be tighter with less wind? Ammunition? I see others putting bullets almost in the same hole, like I say, been a long time since I shot paper at a distance, any feedback or suggestions would be great. Thank you (also, the picture is on its side, ugh, technology)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:37:07 AM by jmnyckt »

Re: Reassurance please
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 07:30:09 AM »
You were using factory ammo that's meant to be "minute of deer" out to reasonable distances. Assuming that green circle is 1 inch in diameter, your 5 shot group was just over that. That's about all you can expect from factory hunting ammo. The wind at 100 yds wouldn't do much. You don't have much difference in windage anyway. The vertical string could be the shooter shooting at different points in his breath. Or breathing during the shot at all.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 07:39:50 AM »
I'd agree with Cbloom, you're seeing likely close to what the ammo can do from your rifle. And he's right about your vertical stringing not likely to be wind related, either. Since you said this was a Vanguard, I'm going to offer that you could be seeing vertical stringing due to differences in upward pressure on the barrel and action based on where you rest the forearm for each shot. Try marking a spot on the bottom of the stock with masking tape and resting at the same point every time. Also try resting with the front action screw (right under the chamber) resting on your sandbags or whatever you're using for a rest.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

jmnyckt

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 07:48:16 AM »
Thanks! I'm not used to shooting paper at a distance, usually it's moving. This range shooting is something new to me, it's my time to "get away", and just get some time away. I've been hunting for about 38 years and I've always stuck with an inch high at 50 yards and go with it. Learning about cold and hot barrel, the way the stock is set, MOA, ballistic coefficient, etc. I'd love to reload, but, my wife works for Uncle Sam, and we have one more move before she retires, then I'll look into setting up a place permanently to do that. This is our 9th move in 16 years and one more to go, I think the whole family is looking forward to that