Spike Camp

In regards to used firearms...

jmnyckt

In regards to used firearms...
« on: April 04, 2017, 01:07:00 PM »
Has anyone ever bought a used firearm, brought it home to change mounts, or stock, or anything, and said "what the HE** were they thinking when they did this???"
I have a Vanguard Series one in .270 Win, really nice condition. But, I am changing out that ghastly black plastic stock, and the Leupold mounts for DNZ Game-Reapers. Got the rings off, look almost new, Leopold across the top, steel rings, I was able to get 3 of the mount screws out, the 4th I couldn't budge, so I drilled it out, no biggie, made sure everything was covered so no shavings got in the action, all that good stuff. The odd part? When I took the screws out the mounts were still stuck to the receiver?????? Couldn't for the life of me figure that one out. So I took one of the screws and there was a 'crust' on it, not rust...and it was on but good. So, being inquisitive, I wanted to know what it was, and by logic, and testing it with nail polish remover my best guess is it was Super Glue. So I put a bit on the mounts, little by little, and sure enough the mounts came right off. I'm not a gunsmith by no means, but Super Glue????

BB340

• View Profile
Re: In regards to used firearms...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 03:54:02 PM »
Yeah not sure about using super glue. I do use a touch of 5 minute epoxy glue to secure my bases to the action. Especially on my heavy recoiling rifles.
Aussie gun nut.