Spike Camp

New Accuguard Problem

New Accuguard Problem
« on: April 05, 2017, 06:51:22 PM »
Hey everyone!,just wanted some input from some knowledgeable Weatherby guys.  I just ordered and received a new Accuguard in .270 and I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the fit and finish of the gun. I opened the box at my LGS and everything looked good, but on further inspection when I got home, I noticed the spacing of the barrel in the channel of the stock was off quite a bit and definitely has a noticeably bigger gap in the one side than the other, like the stock wasn't lined up quite right when the action was bedded. Other than that the fit and finish is great, typical weatherby quality.

I know the Accuguard is full length aluminum bedded, so would fixing the barrel/stock channel alignment issue be difficult and would the issue affect accuracy in any way, as I haven't fired the rifle yet ( I'm thinking it wouldn't since the barrel is floated)? Should I contact customer service to have the problem fixed?

I'm somewhat particular about my guns and that's why I love my Weatherby's, because the fit and finish is always excellent. I own several Wby rifles and I couldn't be happier until this Accuguard. They are my go to hunting rifles.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 04:02:16 AM by North Woods Hunter »

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
Re: New Accuguard
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 07:10:52 PM »
If your not happy with it, I'd give Weatherby a call Thursday. They have a great customer service department. I have an Accuguard in 257 Weatherby and love it!!
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 07:44:59 PM »
Never had to deal with Wby customer service before, but I've always heard they are good to deal with.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 07:52:27 PM by North Woods Hunter »

jmnyckt

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 03:19:44 AM »
An investment is that. You invested time and money into it, the same as a car or large appliance, etc... If you arent happy, calmly call and explain in clear detail what is wrong, but, dont lose the "high ground" by losing patience. I had gotten a scope from Nikon, it looked like it had been mounted before, i explained clearly and calmly what was wrong, took pictures, they not only replaced the scope with another new one, but, they didnt want the other back. Where do you think my loyalty with optics is? I have 4 Weatherby rifles, and a PA-08 slug gun and a custom .416 Taylor, every one of them has Nikon. I had tried Nikon in the beginning because i was a Photographer in the Air Force in the pre-digital days and i carried a Nikon F-2 camera through heck and back and it took a beating yet still performed. Customer service can make or break a company, ive heard Weatherby had industry superior customer service, i hope to never call, but its nice to know if i do, they are good.

danno50

• View Profile
Re: New Accuguard Problem
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 06:08:39 AM »
Just let us know what the Weatherby CS reply is, as the alignment does sound like its off center (even if it shoots good) and that would give an otherwise great looking rifle a funky look.
DosEquisShooter

capt_canuck

• adrenaline junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 07:30:51 AM »
Yes northwoods I would put it right back in the box and call weatherby customer service. Please let us know how you make out.

jmnyckt

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 07:40:59 AM »
I sent my bolt to Weatherby last Thursday because of the recall, I JUST got it! A one week turn around! Now that's customer service

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 12:31:24 PM »
Sounds like they just didn't have the barrel perfectly centered when torquing down. Loosen up your action screws, tighten the rear one half way to the recommended torque, then center the Barrel in the channel and hold it there while tightening front action screw to half the torque, which I believe is 25-35lbs, then go back and tighten rear one all the way and then the front all the way. Had an Accumark I bought used look like that, was a easy fix, shoots perfect!

From Weatherby's site:
Screws for wood stocks have a torque specification of 35 inch pounds. Please note, however, that you should tighten the rear screw first and then the front screw.

If yours is a Fibermark or an Accumark stock, the torque specification is 55 inch pounds.
The correct assembly procedure is:

Tighten the rear trigger guard screw first to 30 inch pounds.
Align the barrel to the center of the barrel channel in the fore stock.
Tighten the front trigger guard screw to 30 inch pounds.
Tighten the rear screw to 50-55 inch pounds.
Finally, tighten the front trigger guard screw to 50-55 inch pounds.
Applying this method, using a torque screwdriver of the proper size, will insure the proper fit between the receiver, and custom aluminum bedding block, as well as the proper positioning of the barrel in the barrel channel.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 12:33:01 PM by weatherbyman22 »

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 02:00:28 PM »
Well I called customer service today and spoke to a nice guy on the other end, emailed some pics and am waiting for a reply.

Thanks everyone for the info so far, great site, lots of good, knowledgeable people here.

Great info weatherbyman22!

I'll let you guys know what happens next.

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 02:21:18 PM »
This is a pic of the barrel alignment issue. I think it shows it pretty well.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:22:49 PM by North Woods Hunter »

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 02:31:19 PM »
That's exactly what my 7mm Accumark looked like when I bought it used, hopefully yours is as easy to correct as mine was. Guessing someone had the stock off mine and just didn't hold it perfectly centered when tightening it back down.

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 05:17:21 PM »
Well I heard back from Weatherby customer service and they are going to fix the problem.  They will be sending me a shipping label and box to send it out to Cal. to be fixed.

I gotta say I'm really impressed with the customer service.  What a great company to deal with!

I dealt with Mr. Rusty McCune and I'm very appreciative of his perfessionalism and promptness.  Great representation of the company!

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 06:33:24 AM »
Great to hear that, hard to beat a company with service like Weatherbys!!!
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 04:04:21 PM »
Yep, I agree, I was already sold, but now I really am.

Next on the menu, an element shotgun. 

Just to let you guys know I have 3 weatherbys, 3 Rugers, 3 Marlins, 1 benelli shotgun, and 1 glock handgun, and 1 Mauser. 

But the Marlins are from when they actually built a good product, the Rugers are model 77s, which are no longer made ( and I do like them), the Mauser is a custom built on a 1909 argentine action ( great rifle), and the Benelli is OK.

But Weatherby builds the best product today, no question.  My .257 is accurate as is gets and DRTs whitetail every time, more than any cartridge I have ever used, an I've used a few.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 05:45:50 PM »
That is great to hear that Weatherby is going to fix your problem.  There was never any doubt in my mind about that; Weatherby is a stand up company and they value their customers.  Their customer service is top notch in my book, and that is one of many reason why I am a proud Weahterby owner.