Spike Camp

New Accuguard Problem

Patrick Henry

Re: New Accuguard Problem
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 12:10:18 PM »
Hi North Woods Hunter,

I just saw your post this morning ..... I'm having the EXACT same problem, with the EXACT same rifle ... the Accuguard, although mine is in 30-06.  I just picked it up at the LGS this past Tuesday, September 12th.  Same as you ... I was in a hurry and the gun shop was crowded so I didn't look at it thoroughly until I got home ... silly me.

I first noticed the sling swivel stud in the butt stock ... it's not properly installed, and then I noticed the improperly fitted barrel.  I'm new to Weatherby rifles, this is my first.  I use to be a Remington 700 guy until they started to have their QC issues several years ago. I've looked at Winchesters, Sako's, Brownings, but thought I would try Weatherby after reading the reviews about the Vanguard line of rifles. 

I contacted Weatherby Customer service yesterday after talking to / recommendation of some friends of mine at my gun club.  (They all said that the barrel was definitely not fitted properly)  I must say the people I spoke to at Weatherby (from Leslie, who answers the phone & transfers you to the proper department, to Wendy in Customer Support, and a 3rd lady ... drawing a blank on her name ? .... were all very nice & understanding.   Wendy said that she would show the pictures of the rifle showing the bad barrel fit & bad swivel stud fit to the gunsmiths. They should get back to me next week sometime. 

Given that this is my first Weatherby rifle, frankly I was a little concerned that they might give me the run-around, but after talking with them, and reading how they handled your poor barrel fitting, I'm not that concerned anymore.  (I just hope it shoots MOA or better when I finally get to shoot after they fix it.  :-)

Thanks for posting ...

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 04:00:08 PM »
Patrick you will soon discover that Weatherby's customer service is second to none! They will do whatever it takes to make their customers happy. Be it they own one Vanguard or a hundred mark V's doesn't matter. If you own a Weatherby and have a problem they will fix it.
It is a bit of bad luck that your first Weatherby has issues. But still welcome to Weatherby and welcome to the Weatherby Nation.
Aussie gun nut.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2017, 11:31:42 PM »
Hi Aussie Gun Nut,

I'm relatively confident that Weatherby will stand behind their product / take care of it the way they did for North Woods Hunter.  (It truly is the exact same problem on the same rifle.)

The ladies I spoke to there all seemed like they were customer focused & truly do care about doing the right thing.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Sincerely ...

Jameson

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 08:28:31 AM »
Patrick, please do keep us posted as to what happens. Quality control at Weatherby is usually excellent (but mistakes do happen; it's why they put erasers on pencils) and customer service is unparalleled, so let us know.
JP

Patrick Henry

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 05:16:44 PM »
Hi JP,

Will do ...
Truly I'm not angry at the mistakes that Weatherby made on the rifle, just very disappointed.  As long as they get properly fixed I'll be a happy camper.

I truly understand that mistakes happen in manufacturing / in business (& in life in general). There's always going to be a degree of human error.  I look at mistakes as an opportunity for a company to step up to the plate to earn the loyalty of customers. We all make mistakes. What matters is how the mistakes are handled; that is where customer loyalty is earned.

Thank you for taking an interest in my problem and posting.   I'll let you guys know how Weatherby handles this problem .... good or bad. 

(I'm curious how Weatherby ended up fixing North Woods Hunter's rifle?
Did Weatherby end up re-fitting his barrel in the same Bell & Carlson stock so it was properly aligned,  or ... did they end up just replacing the stock with a new Bell & Carlson?  If North Woods Hunter would let us know, that would be great!)

Thanks again for your interest!

Sincerely ...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:24:48 AM by Patrick Henry »

Patrick Henry

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 01:54:42 PM »
Great news guys!  I spoke to Carol at Weatherby today.   First & foremost she was very nice.  She gave me an RA # and is sending me a label to send the rifle in to be fixed. 

On a tangential note ...  I'm very pleased with the trigger.  It measured (Lyman Electronic Digital Gauge) an average 2 lbs 8.1 oz with a crisp break.   (3 pulls which were relatively consistent).

Thanks again(!) JP & Aussie Gun Nut for your interest / posting.   

I'll let you know how the rifle comes back to me, but I don't anticipate any issues.  So far everything has been handled properly by all at Weatherby.

PS: I now would like to get a 270 Win.  Looking at the Vanguard Back Country because of it's weight, approximately 2 lbs lighter than the Accuguard.
Any thoughts re: Cerakote vs stainless steel?

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 06:30:15 PM »
Both stainless and cerakote have pros/cons. If you want the lighter weight, the Back Country is the one. A standard Stainless Vanguard will be almost right in between the BC and the Accuguard, weight-wise, I think.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

Patrick Henry

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 09:48:32 PM »
Thank you Dubyam.  I didn't even think of the standard stainless Vanguard.

klong67

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2017, 06:57:12 AM »
Glad to hear they are fixing the rifle issue. Weatherby and their CS department are all top notch! I never doubted they would make it right!!

Patrick Henry

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2017, 08:56:06 PM »
Hi guys,
An update .... one word ..... Wow!!   
Received my rifle back from Weatherby yesterday.  It is fixed. The barrel is perfectly lined up in the barrel channel (it had to be re-bedded), the sling swivel stud in the stock is properly screwed in.  I must say Weatherby did a fantastic job (!) from start to finish. 

After I sent the rifle in with a pre-paid label (Weatherby e-mailed to me), they called me after the gunsmith evaluated the problems, and determined what had to be done. After all was completed / fixed they then called me to tell me exactly what had been done, and that it would be UPS'd 4 day shipping, which is pretty quick considering I live in Pittsburgh, and they put it in a new box too with a print out listing what was done! 

Truth be told ..... Weatherby provided White Glove service all the way through process. They have indeed earned my loyalty.   

Thank you Team Weatherby !!!

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2017, 07:59:15 AM »
Seems to be typical WBY service. I’m glad have a rifle to be happy with now, hope it is a shooter!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2017, 08:04:36 AM »
It is stories like these which occur all too regularly, which make the occasional poor service stories so suspect to me.

Glad it all was resolved to your liking.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2017, 08:28:06 PM »
It is stories like these which occur all too regularly, which make the occasional poor service stories so suspect to me.

Glad it all was resolved to your liking.

X2 on that.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2017, 08:54:25 PM »
Weatherby = Class Act.
Unclekax

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2018, 08:30:09 AM »
I realize this thread is a few months old now, but I am posting because I just received my Vanguard Accuguard 300wm after quite a long wait. Unfortunately I have the exact same issue with the barrel channel being off center as described by several others. I am of course disappointed as I had hoped to get it out to the range this weekend, but encouraged by the reports of great Weatherby customer service so fingers crossed I get this fixed in short order. As this issue has been encountered by others I am wondering if this is a problem with the Accuguard model? Are owners of other "free floated" Weatherbys having similar issues?