Spike Camp

New Accuguard Problem

Re: New Accuguard Problem
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2018, 12:32:47 PM »
Great to hear they are going to take care of it.

Yes, Scott is on it! looking forward to a successful resolution to this - doing a Moose hunt with this rifle in early fall.

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2018, 06:08:41 PM »
 Hope your problem is solved!  I'm from Canada and was hoping to not hear of the hassle you are having with Canada warranty service.

Weatherbyman22, this tightening the rear guard screw before the front guard screw is new to me.  My mentor, God rest his soul, informed me to snug both guard screws up! but torque the front first and then the rear.  I have done this for 50 years on all my rifles and it seems to work.  No real accuracy problems and the barrel Chanel spacing seems to be rather even.  I have three Weatherby Mark V's, two synthetic stocked and the other very nice piece of Deluxe wood.  I have tightened the guard screws wrong I guess, but the shot groups and barrel Chanel spacings seem to like what I did.  Is this a recommendation from Weatherby?

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2018, 10:46:41 AM »
Looks like I'm getting a new replacement rifle from the factory.. possibly another two months wait, but it will have the new 26" barrel and an accubrake installed so that makes me happy. Can't wait to get it dialed in for Moose this fall!

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2018, 11:10:04 AM »
I knew the problem would be taken care of as soon as USA Weatherby got involved. Glad to hear your satisfied with the outcome of your long running problem. Weatherby Customer Service comes through again. It'll be a couple of months, but be sure to let us know how that 300 Wby shoots once you get it sighted in. The 180 grain pills in Hornady, Winchester, Remington and Federal all have great cup and core soft points that'll take down a moose handily. Like I said, Good things come to those who wait. Good Luck
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2018, 11:26:30 AM »
While I wait.. I'm going to build a new AR-15 SBR just for fun, too bad we can't do anything other than go to the range with AR's here in Canada though.

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2018, 02:25:34 PM »
While I wait.. I'm going to build a new AR-15 SBR just for fun, too bad we can't do anything other than go to the range with AR's here in Canada though.
Even when if you have a good amount to of property, a good backstop and safe direction to shoot can you shoot on your own property or does it have to be on a gun range?
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2018, 03:11:13 PM »
Even when if you have a good amount to of property, a good backstop and safe direction to shoot can you shoot on your own property or does it have to be on a gun range?

AR's are classified as restricted firearms in Canada.. doesn't mean you can't own one in fact as long as you have a license to own restricted weapons you can make an SBR without any additional red tape, unfortunately firearms in the restricted class can only be discharged at a licensed gun range/club.. fortunately my club is about 15 minutes away and there are several others not much more than that + I can take it to any other range in my province. Still it would be nice to take it into the woods on occasion.

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2018, 03:15:15 PM »
Actually, I forgot... there is a work around that I have heard some guys have done. If you have the appropriate piece of property you can build a range and have it inspected by the RCMP to get it licensed and certified as such - then you can shoot whatever you want on your own range.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2018, 04:05:07 PM »
Actually, I forgot... there is a work around that I have heard some guys have done. If you have the appropriate piece of property you can build a range and have it inspected by the RCMP to get it licensed and certified as such - then you can shoot whatever you want on your own range.

Ingenuity. I like it! Stinks for you guys that you have to have that very particular set of circumstances to do something that would, without man made regulations, otherwise be a completely ethical and responsible way of hunting/shooting.  :-\

Hope the Accuguard and new build turn out great!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2018, 12:26:03 PM »
Well, after a very very long wait. it turns out that the replacement rifle Weatherby sent out has the exact same issue with the Bell and Carlson stock!.. You can argue that this is a Bell and Carlson issue, but to my mind Weatherby should be QC'ing these before they leave the factory. My group drew two Moose tags (limited entry hunt) this year and my hunt coming up, Really wanted to get my new rifle scoped, dialed in and load tested well in advance - looks less and less likely that will happen. I really hope Weatherby can get this right ASAP as I originally ordered this rifle in 2017 - Surely they can step up and locate a 300wm somewhere. Sorry for the rant - I know we all love Weatherby, but this is just so damn frustrating.

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2018, 10:13:40 PM »
OK so they're sending me a Weathermark.. so that's good!. hope it doesn't take much longer.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2018, 08:08:37 AM »
Glen8338, this is a late response to a secondary question you posted on this thread almost a month ago, that I meant to answer at the time but forgot.
Hope your problem is solved!  I'm from Canada and was hoping to not hear of the hassle you are having with Canada warranty service.
Weatherbyman22, this tightening the rear guard screw before the front guard screw is new to me.  My mentor, God rest his soul, informed me to snug both guard screws up! but torque the front first and then the rear.  I have done this for 50 years on all my rifles and it seems to work.  No real accuracy problems and the barrel Chanel spacing seems to be rather even.  I have three Weatherby Mark V's, two synthetic stocked and the other very nice piece of Deluxe wood.  I have tightened the guard screws wrong I guess, but the shot groups and barrel Chanel spacings seem to like what I did.  Is this a recommendation from Weatherby?

The same question was asked in 2016, because between 1975 and 2009 the owners manual published the front screw sequence for the action screw torque, and from 2010 to present the tighten the rear screw sequence for torquing the action screws was published.  The following is the official response that I got from Weatherby's Scott Morrell who was the director of Service and Maintenance at the time.
Thanks for bringing this thread to our attention:

The older method of torquing basically presented issues (especially when the stock has an aluminum bedding block). The problems we see are the result of applying too much torque to the front screw and then torquing down the rear. This can actually cause the receiver to flex, which is not good. That doesn't happen with wood stocks torqued to 35 in/lbs, like those used in the past.  That being said..

We've found the current method, as listed in the Vanguard Series 2 manual, is the proper way to tighten down action screws. This method lends itself to the best accuracy, and it cuts down on the possibility of damage to the firearm's components if improperly assembled or if the action screws are over-torqued. If a customer has an older gun, then they should follow the current method and sequence for torquing the action screws.

Current sequence for Vanguards:

1) Insert the trigger guard assembly with its follower and spring into the stock and hold in place.

2) Insert the trigger guard screws and, with a screw driver of proper size, lightly seat the screws while holding the rifle in a vertical position with the butt down. Pull down on the barrel to help seat the recoil lug on the receiver with the mating surface in the stock.

3) Tighten the trigger guard screws to the proper torque and in the proper sequence as follows. Always tighten the rear screw first to a torque of 35 inch pounds, followed by a torque of 35 inch pounds to the front screw. For wood and synthetic stocks this is the final torque value that should be used. On composite stocks with aluminum bedding blocks, apply additional torque to 55 inch pounds to the rear screw followed by 55 inch pounds to the front screw.

I hope this helps.

Scott Morrell
Director of Service & Merchandise

DosEquisShooter

petey

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2018, 12:57:51 PM »
Wow, a Mark V upgrade!!  That's really cool. 
Excuse me, I have to run to my safe and take a closer look at the stock on my Accuguard! 

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2018, 06:50:33 PM »
Excuse me, I have to run to my safe and take a closer look at the stock on my Accuguard!

I Know right? Well Im happy and still love Weatherby..

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2018, 07:13:51 PM »
;D Me Too
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.