Spike Camp

Newbie with Mark V ULW 280 Rem

davej229

Newbie with Mark V ULW 280 Rem
« on: April 06, 2017, 04:06:01 PM »
New to the forum and Weatherby.  I've been wanting to add a 280 Rem caliber to my collection and stumbled across a Mark V ULW 280 this weekend I couldn't pass up.  It's my first Weatherby.  Loved the feel, look and handling of it.  What can I expect with this rifle?  How's the accuracy and recoil on the lightweights?  Honestly I don't know a lot about Weatherbys but a good friend of mine loves his so it convinced me to get one.  I was looking for a light weight all weather carry rifle and this one fit the part.  THX

jmnyckt

Re: Newbie with Mark V ULW 280 Rem
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 04:10:02 PM »
Let us know how you like the 280? Ive been kicking around the .280 Rem, the .280 AI or the 28 Nosler. I dont want to get a "flavor of the week" caliber, and the .280 Rem is topping my list. That and a .240 Wby (which i am getting), but woul like to hear praise on the .28 bores

davej229

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 08:33:26 PM »
Yep I'll keep you posted on the 280.  So far I've got 243, 25-06, 270 and 30-06.  After much reading I wanted the 280.  Looked at the 280 AI and 28 nosler along with 7 mag but settled on the 280 Rem.  Once I've got the scope on it I'll get some range time in and hope it's a shooter.  Initial impression is it's a well built solid rifle. 

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 08:52:51 AM »
Welcome to the Nation!! I have an ULW MarkV in 6.5-300 Weatherby and love it. Mine comes with an Accubrake which really makes the recoil a non factor, the trigger is great and I love the handling and lightweight. The only negative is the muzzle blast with the brake on, and the barrel does heat up very fast. Accuracy has been excellent with the 127 LRX ammo I've shoot. Let us know how your 280 shoots, I think you've made an excellent purchase. The lightweight barrel heats up fast so take your time at the range. Are you on the MarkV owners site on Facebook, you seem to be familiar?
Doug

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 09:06:20 AM »
I think you made a good choice with the 280. I had one once and shot Hornady 154 gr bullets out of it. It shot them great, and I also tested them in a bullet recovery box, they would weigh up around 60%. This was at 20 yards, performed good on mule deer and antelope. Also that case is a joy to reload, works through your dies with ease

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 10:25:38 AM »
Make sure you have plenty of eye clearance for the scope, those ULW standard calibers are so light in the front that they really jump. I cut my forehead twice and cracked my nose once all of these shooting prone. I have owned Wbys from 257 through 378 and only cut myself one other time. Other than that it will be a joy to carry at 7 lbs scoped and ready to hunt. My 270 win was extremely accurate with hot loads.
John

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 11:43:49 AM »
Welcome to the Nation!

You're going to enjoy that ULW for sure. You should be able to get 3 shot groups around an inch if you do the work at the load and shooting bench. Just don't shoot too many shots in a row and overheat the barrel.

Recoil will be reasonable but may get your attention with heavier bullets. I shoot a 168gr  load in my 30-06 Colt Light Rifle (7.5lbs ready to hunt) and the recoil is not a problem at all.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 12:42:51 PM »
I have a ULW in 30-06 and a new ULW in 6.5-300. The 30-06 has a
Leopold 3-9x33 lightweight scope and total weight is just about 6.25 lbs. with ammo. I believe I purchased it the first year they came out. I bought it for hunting the mountains in Wyoming and what a pleasure to carry. I was using a Winchester 300 mag 26" barrel with a Leopold 3.5-10x50. The ULW you bought is the same as the 30-06 in weight and barrel length and the barrel does heat up quickly and I shoot 150 hornady super performance SST at about 3100 fps. I usually shoot 3 shots and let it cool down which does not take long. It shoots 3/4" at 100 yards.
Welcome to the club.
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 02:07:27 PM »
Welcome to the Nation!  I have a Mark V in 280 Rem, but my rifle is the synthetic model with the tupper ware stock, not too heavy and not too light either and a delight to shoot.  I like it a lot. I have a Ruger 77 MK II in 30-06 (the one with boat oar type stock), and it's very light and it kicks like an angry mule but not unbearable. LOL!!!!!  Like other's have said, you'll like your ULW.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

capt_canuck

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 04:34:15 PM »
is the accubrake really that necessary to shoot these weatherby magnum ultralights without being terrified of unwanted recoil. I am going from a tika t3 lite in a 270 wsm to a mark V UL 7mm wbee mag....and to me does measure up to be that ultra... good thing i didn't order the 300 wbee mag...but at the time of ordering i really wanted the nosler 28 in a LH but no where to be found...I even posted a finders fee months back,.. savage wasn't even interested and well either was I ...lol...one shooter on here quoted the wait time will kill ya....you are so right...

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 05:46:51 PM »
I do not own an ULW, but my 7mm Wby has a fluted tapered #2 barrel, with the topper ware stock, and it is much lighter than my regular Mark Vs, and the recoil is manageable.  I am by no means a big man, at 5'5" and 158lbs soaking wet, and I don't mind shooting a box of ammo.  Now, not everyone tolerates recoil the same way.  So, I'd suggest you shoot it without the Accubrake and then decide if its necessary or not. 
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 05:51:39 PM »
Capt_canuck the 6.5-300 & 300 Weatherbys come with brakes, otherwise I believe you have to special order it on the other cartridges. I do not find the recoil overpowering in any of my rifles, including a lightweight 300 I own. The ULW 300 Bee may be tough to handle without a brake and heavy loads, but it's more talk then anything. Everyone handles it differently
Doug

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 06:01:46 PM »
Capt, I have a custom 270 Wby. mag built on a Husquvarna action which is lighter than your 7mm ULW and the recoil is moderate, no need for a brake unless one was really recoil sensitive.
John

davej229

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 08:22:54 PM »
Thanks all for the reply's.  Yep I got signed up on the Facebook page.  Hopefully I'll have it out shooting soon.  I did read about the thin barrels and keeping the barrel cool for the best accuracy.  I typically only shoot 2-3 shot groups anyway at the range and rotate rifles when I'm out there.  I've always thought if my hunting rifle can hit the first shot where I want it, then I'm good to go.  I use a Ruger No 1 as my primary deer rifle, so that first shot being on the money is what I work for.  If recoil is an issue I typically throw a Limbsaver pad on and call it good.  I got this rifle for mountain hunting in Colorado for Elk later this year, so fingers crossed the hunt happens. 

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 10:35:15 PM »
Sounds like your good to go, hope you get drawn in Colorado. I am 99.999% sure I will be getting drawn for 2nd rifle in gmu76 in Colorado with 2 buddy's. I've used a Limbsaver on occasion, it came in very handy during an all day session with my muzzleloader in 2015.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 10:37:03 PM by blackbear3 »
Doug