Spike Camp

Bed bases to action, yes or no?

• View Profile
Bed bases to action, yes or no?
« on: April 08, 2017, 04:18:24 PM »
I have never bed my bases to the action but I know guys that do it always! I have never lapped my rings either, but some do this ever time also. So do you or don't you and why?
Mike

Re: Bed bases to action, yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 07:42:01 PM »
I have never had any problems so I have never done either.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 08:08:48 PM »
I like to stick my bases down with some 2 part, 5 minute epoxy. Then when I mount the rings I check they are aligned with a ring mounting kit. Have only ever had to lap a few pairs that were out quite a bit. 
Aussie gun nut.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 08:47:51 PM »
BB340 do you use some type of release agent on the action so the epoxy only sticks to the base?
Mike

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 12:59:18 PM »
BB340 do you use some type of release agent on the action so the epoxy only sticks to the base?

No I actually stick the bases to the action. I also put a dab of Locktight on the screws so as they cannot vibrate out.
Aussie gun nut.

jmnyckt

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 04:52:45 AM »
I actually tried BB340's epoxy method this weekend. I have an older than dirt Parker Hale Safari Deluxe in .243. Ive been working on this rifle for about 12 years now, slowly getting it just right. The final step was mounts. The problem i had was screw size. I couldnt find any, they were either too big or too small, and just wouldnt take. I really dont want to do any tapping becaise im aftaid the holes wouldnt like up properly. So, using the epoxy method, i was able to get the rear base(the front was fine) to hold, and hold solid. Using the almost cured epoxy i placed it on the screw threads and tightened them in, this morning i checked it and all looked good, its placed even and level. I then took a small wood mallet and gave the base 3 good whacks. The bases were just fine, my mallet? Dinged where i struck it. The bolt opens and closes smoothly without any grab, and no epoxy in the action. The true test will be firing it, but with a .243 im not expecting any issues

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 06:04:14 AM »
Can you remove the mounts, even thought they are epoxy in?  Or, this is a one time deal, and they are permanent???

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 06:11:30 AM »
If you use some type of release agent on your action the base will come off again. This is mainly done to fill any imperfections in the surface of the action and get a full contact between base and action.
Mike

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 04:02:37 PM »
Yes Oscar you can remove the bases again. Sometimes they may need a little tap with a mallet or a bit of heat applied.
But I would not recommend using the epoxy on the screws as they will be extremely hard to remove. I understand why jmnyckt did it to his .243 though.
I like to do the method I wrote earlier as nearly all my hunting is done from an ATV and the way I have my rifle holder set up the rifle rides upside down. I have had screws vibrate lose after several days of hard riding. So better to be safe than sorry.
Aussie gun nut.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 04:15:35 PM »
I agree BB340, I put Loctite on my screws also, I think Leupold bases have it on the screws already
Mike