Spike Camp

.257 for elk

.257 for elk
« on: April 14, 2017, 06:10:19 AM »
I have a drop camp elk hunt coming up this fall and I just cant get the idea of not taking my .257. I have a 338 win mag, but I really like the weatherby rifle a lot more. I have taken elk with a 264 win mag, and a 270 win, 300 win mag, 338 win mag, all worked fine. My question is what game animals have you taken with a .257, what bullet was used and how did it perform. I know many of you on here have more experience with this caliber than me, so I am asking for your input and experiences on this...

jmnyckt

Re: .257 for elk
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 06:51:42 AM »
Personally i have not, just got my .257 and waiting. But, Roy Weatherby took a Cape Buffalo with one. I asked about a .240Wby, just overall, folks told me theyve taken elk with a .243, ive shot deer one shot DRT with a .243, i suppose it would be how comfortable you are with shot placement. My rule of thumb is if it can be taken with a bow then ill go with it. Its your trip, and your choice, if you like the .257, go with it.

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 07:24:55 AM »
I've taken a few elk with the 257 and 120 gr partitions. They were 250-300 yard behind the shoulder shots, and by the time you get the second round chambered, they would be going down. The bullet performed well, but this was on private property, so I had lots of time to get a clean shot. On a paid hunt, where you only have limited time, to find a good animal, or if you don't know the area well, the 257 probably wouldn't be my first choice for elk. In the end, it's like any caliber, if you feel confident with the rifle, and can get good shot placement.  8)

Rob

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 07:53:49 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. The 120 partition is the bullet I was thinking of using.

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 08:44:16 AM »
If you are spending a lot of money on a premium elk hunt take your 338, it is a no brainer. If you have to take a bad angle shot the 338 has you covered. I have a early Arizona bull tag and I will take my 338 and my 6.5-300 Wby for backup.
John

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 03:29:43 PM »
I have never hunted elk, never even seen one actually lol, but I have used my .257 here in Australia for larger critters like feral donkeys and horses. It really flattens them out. I have plans to take said rifle to Africa to use as my plains game rifle. It will be used on tough animals like zebra, Oryx, Kudu etc. I load up the 115 grain Barnes TSX and that pill penetrates extremely deep and hold together.
However if you are the slightest bit pressed for time and not that confident with your .257 then it may be wise to take your .338. That way if your faced with a tough angling shot you will be able to take it.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 06:58:49 PM »
Thanks again for the input guys, BB340 the animals you have listed are as large and larger than our Elk. So now I have two bullets to try, 120 grain partition and 115 grain barnes. I shoot the 100 grain barnes now and had great results last year. A couple of you have mentioned tough hard angling shoots, I tend not to take these shots unless the animal is close, the margin of error is just to narrow. That said in my younger years I did, but now hunting is more about good friends, new country, back country and the experience, if I get something it is a bonus.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 03:03:02 AM »
Well .257 I think if you really want to use your .257 Bee for your elk hunt and feel confident in it then I say go for it! The African outfitter I was going with last year (trip fell thru though) didn't want me to use my .257 bee instead wanting something with a larger projectile and less speed. To hell with that I thought. I was taking my .257 stocked with 115 grn TSX's and felt very confident in it's and my ability to get the job done.
Aussie gun nut.

capt_canuck

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 01:17:09 PM »
here is my 2 cents worth of elk huntin rifle calibre experience...my question would be distance of shot, if your huntin the rut, that can be the most fun getting in close like the archery hunters do scorin there bulls. so then I would use either. If your huntin heavy cover or vast open country then thats a consideration. I would take both rifles and lean toward the .257 to start....just to mention my only bull was taken post rut last oct. at first light coming off an alfalfa field at 370 yards with a .270 wsm .140 grain Accubond. double lunged....i agree shot placement with a quality hunting bullet is everything. I learned alot about elk hunting on my alberta hunt. the local alberta hunters I talked to were using .270s to 7mms one hunter who is an elk guide uses a .260 rem. I learned where i was huntin you can scout your bull at late dusk coming out on the food source fields to feed through the night. After locating a bull go back in the early morning right at legal shooting time to hopefully connect spot and stalk.     

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 06:48:48 PM »
Ed Weatherby on .257 Weatherby® Magnum
January 3, 2012 at 4:24pm
I well remember my first African safari. Tramping around the bush at the base of Mt. Kilimanjaro was quite an experience for an 18-year-old fresh out of high school. What fascinated me most was the abundance of game unlike anything I had experienced in the United States. Our battery of firearms consisted of three rifles – Weatherby Magnums, of course – a .257, .300 and .378. My favorite was then, and still is, the .257 Weatherby Magnum. With the bullet screaming out of the muzzle at 3,300 fps and contacting with an animal 200 yards away, still maintaining a speed of over 2,700 fps, the animal just doesn’t stand a chance.

One of my favorite bullets for the .257 is the 120-grain Nosler Partition®. In my opinion, it’s the perfect bullet and cartridge combination for plains game, or anywhere one is looking for maximum accuracy, penetration and killing power.

I used the .257 Weatherby Magnum almost exclusively on my later safari to Mozambique, and found the light recoil of the .257 combined with the super high velocity and good penetration of the Nosler bullet really got the job done.

As I turned to domestic hunting, primarily mule deer and elk, I felt more comfortable moving up to the .270 Weatherby Magnum and using a little heavier bullet when hunting elk. In fact, I seldom go to anything smaller or larger than the .270 for hunting North American game. The recoil is very pleasant, which is nice when practicing on the range.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 03:32:22 AM »
Thanks danno, great reading and info.

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 07:04:23 AM »
I think I have decided, as much as l would like to get an elk with the .257, I will be taking my 338 win mag loaded with 225 grain TTSX bullets. This is the same gun and load I used to take the bull in my Avatar. Thanks everyone for your input and thoughts,,, Good Hunting  8)

Gary

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 11:03:29 AM »
I think I have decided, as much as l would like to get an elk with the .257, I will be taking my 338 win mag loaded with 225 grain TTSX bullets. This is the same gun and load I used to take the bull in my Avatar. Thanks everyone for your input and thoughts,,, Good Hunting  8)

Jumping in here late, glad you chose the .338.  Much more lethal in case your shot placement is off.  I've hunted elk a long time here in Az and seem the larger magnums bring them down easily.  What unit is your hunt?
Scott Arizona

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 11:10:53 AM »
Its on the line of 12 and 24, north edge of the Flat Top Wilderness area

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 12:55:14 PM »
Mike, Good luck to you on your Wilderness Area hunt this fall. Going to a proven caliber and load is a sound choice, if your Avatar is any sign of success ;)
DosEquisShooter