Spike Camp

Bore cleaning

• View Profile
Bore cleaning
« on: April 24, 2017, 03:50:43 PM »
How often do you clean your bore and what do you use?
Mike

jmnyckt

Re: Bore cleaning
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 04:49:09 PM »
Well, im wary these days to say anything about my techniques as they are often pointed out as wrong, I will attempt to tell you with the disclaimer: This is what works for me.
If im home, not in the field, i start by cleaning my bore with a nylon bore brush with baking soda toothpaste. Yes, toothpaste. Not alot, just enough to get the slight grit in the toothpaste and the flouride to work. I learned this when i worked in a plating shop and they used hydroflouric acid to clean parts, hence the flouride. Then i clean the bore out with gunslick bore cleaner, then run a copper or bronze bore brush through, until i can run a clean and dry patch through and it comes out clean. I wont oil the bore with gun oil until after hunting season, prior to i use a very light coat of olive oil, it blocks corrosion, yet when fired it burns right off. Again, this works for me, and im not saying anyone should do it, i do it and it works

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 06:11:43 PM »
I used a bore guide, Dewey one piece rod, Tifton gun vise, Bore Tech Proof Positive Rifle Cleaning Jag & Bore Tech Eliminator.  Depending on the rifles, and how many rounds I've fire through it.  Also, depending on the weather conditions.  For example, my hunting rifles don't get cleaned after hunting season, unless weather or something happened for me to clean it.  I clean my Weatherby caliber rifles more often than non Weatherby.   Bore Tech Eliminator has a huge following in this forum.  I like it, and swear by it.  ;D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 08:26:03 AM »
Thanks for the info, I am noticing that I need to clean the .257 more. Could be the amount of powder burned, type of powder, or the velocity of the round.

jmyckt, everyone has their way of doing things, that's what is forum is about sharing that information. I wouldn't take anything personal on here. What I have seen everyone on here is very knowledgeable
Mike

jmnyckt

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 08:39:55 AM »
Im not sure if its a .257 kinda thing. I have a .270, ill clean it, run a patch through and it comes out clean, then I'll go back a week later, un fired, and have to clean it again. Granted, its an older Vanguard that i got used and perhaps it was just neglected, but as of Monday morning, i cleaned it again, but, it was a quick cleaning and hardly any residue this time, I did try something different prior to that: using a bore guide i ran a patch with boiling water through the bore 3 times, then ran a bronze brush and ran dry patches down it until the bore was dry, then used my toothpaste technique, ran that through, bronze brush, nitro solvent then dry patches. Its an old black powder technique with the boiling water (except with the muzzleloader you pour the boiling water down the muzzle, then dry thouroughly) its what T/C had in their instruction manual around 1983ish for cleaning. But, the powders were not as clean as they are today.