Spike Camp

Portable shooting bench

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
Portable shooting bench
« on: April 25, 2017, 04:59:10 PM »
I am looking for a portable shooting bench. Either plans for a build or buy. I also need opinions on the shooting bags for rear and front. I had some 30 years ago and they were filled with lead shot. I figure the new ones don't use lead shot. I always used a picnic table behind my barn. This past weekend my wife gave it to a niece. She said we never used it anyhow. I did, but I guess that doesn't count.
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

jmnyckt

Re: Portable shooting bench
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 05:11:01 PM »
Caldwell sandbags pre-filled on Amazon, like $30. I had a portable bench, bought that on Amazon as well, if youre looking for functional and wont break the bank those are two good options.

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 05:12:51 PM »
The following work great plus they are portable. I have 2 here and 2 in Arkansas when we go there. I would suggest using the taller legs.http://www.ruggedbuddy.com/Rugged-Buddy-Sawhorse.html. Bags are home made and filled with sand.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 05:35:21 PM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 06:31:13 PM »
Roger, when you first posted about the Rugged Buddy 4 or 5 years ago I decided to order one and it worked great. It was well worth the $30.00 I paid for it at the time. I watched the demo video then I measured, cut, and painted my ply wood, (believe its 5/8" maybe 3/4") an attached the Rugged Buddy. It really makes a pretty solid bench rest, and with the slot cut out on the side of the bench top, its easy to carry. The paint has dulled over the last 3 years of use in the field, so I'll probably repaint it sometime this year to make it look better. I agree with you about ordering the longer set of  legs. Thanks again Roger. Heres a couple of pictures.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:45:36 AM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

Michiganhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 07:50:30 PM »
Thanks for the info. The bench looks perfect for what I need. Looks very stable and easy to carry. Have any of you used a sled or rest in combination with bags? I used a plastic grain bag with sand on the picnic table. But that weighed about 60 lbs. I need something lighter and more conducive with the bench you recommended.
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 08:32:48 AM »
I've never used a Caldwell Lead Sled, but if you have one the Rugged Buddy will support it easily. What I'm using (in the pictures I posted) for the front rest is the Caldwell Rock Jr. front shooting rest, its adjustable up and down, can be locked in place, comes with an already filled front sand bag that sits in a cradle, and runs about $29.00 most places. Ordered mine on line through Walmart, they had it shipped to a store near me, and I paid no shipping charge. Most online dealers have a shipping charge. Good quality rabbit ears can be purchased empty (Bass Pro, Cabela's, Academy or online) or you may be able to find them already filled in some places. The rabbit ears can be filled with sand, small grain rice, and I've seen guys use BB's. I like to use the small crushed fish tank gravel for my bags, which can be bought loose, and its easy to work with (no muss no fuss no dust no smell) Anyway, thats what I use and it works for me. Good Luck.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 09:11:34 AM »
The only thing I have to had to this, be careful with the lead sled, they can be hard on scopes

jmnyckt

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 09:16:39 AM »
Pre-filled, free shipping. Corn cob filled i believe, you get the front and back, and they even have straps and clips. After all these years i finally broke down and bought a set. I think as far as for me, i cant see getting a sled or rest right now, if i didnt have to load and unload it at the range i would more than likely get one. But when i go to the range, i want to keep as simple as possible as to get in and get out. So im not holding anyone up. If i had my own lan? For sure, I've tried one and they are great. Not willing to put a purchase in yet until the Army tells my wife where shes going next, this will be our last move, the tenth one at that, and we are in a constant state of not getting stuff because we dont know where we will be, hence no reloading yet, shooting gear, minimal equipment, looking forward to a permanent house, thats ours to do what we want. But, the guys here can tell you what you need, and what would be nice to have. I got the rests because my hands shake quite a bit and my eyes arent what they used to be. A good rest helps.

jmnyckt

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 09:17:44 AM »
Forgot this

Michiganhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 10:32:56 AM »
I am fairly new to this forum, just found out it existed in February of 2017.

What I have learned is so many of you are so willing to give great and pertinent information on so many topics.

If you don't have a complete answer you say so. Then someone else answers to add to that. I really appreciate that kind of advice and recommendations.

I have been hunting, fishing, guiding and trapping for over 50 years. The advantage of getting older is realizing you do not know it all and even what you thought you knew isn't necessarily true. I can learn from someone who is 20 or 80 if I just understand and admit I don't know it all.

Thanks for all your advice and maybe one day I can return the favor.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 08:24:16 AM by Michiganhunter »

jmnyckt

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 10:43:57 AM »
The advice is always free.....the beer isnt

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 09:41:31 AM »
The only thing I have to had to this, be careful with the lead sled, they can be hard on scopes
I heard  the lead sled was hard on stocks.(splitting)
DosEquisShooter

Michiganhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 06:09:13 PM »
I asked for information on a shooting bench in this post a year ago. Someone on this site just sent me a portable bench. It was shipped from Redding California. I don’t know who it was and don’t know anyone from there. It just had a note in it that said” I have enjoyed your stories and posts. Enjoy this bench.”
I am not rich but I am not poor. I could afford to buy or build one but this was sent to me out of pure kindness. That’s very meaningful to me. It’s also quite special to me.
This is the only place on the web that I am active and I only post here. I have not, to my knowledge, mentioned this post on a shooting bench anywhere else. I have talked to many people about the Weatherby Nation site and to check it out. Some have joined here but everyone I talked to about this gift had nothing to do with sending it.
Someone had to know my last name and address. It would have taken some effort to figure that out.
Whoever it was who sent it Thank You and May God bless you. What a family this Weatherby Nation is. John
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 06:46:43 PM by Michiganhunter »

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 06:53:39 PM »
Congrats.That was a great gesture by someone.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Michiganhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 08:16:29 PM »
Yes it was. I’m quite humbled by that gesture.
It has to be someone who doesn’t knows me well and has no idea I’m a pain in the neck and a scoundrel. They have never talked  to my family......that’s for sure.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:18:57 PM by Michiganhunter »