Spike Camp

Sometimes where you least expect them

jmnyckt

Sometimes where you least expect them
« on: April 27, 2017, 11:49:38 AM »
This is an old photo from 1992. It was my second season after getting out of the service and realized most of my old hunting areas were now posted. I found this little spot, and i mean little, maybe 5 acres at best that was open. I hunted archery in there right on the border of a swamp and hardwoods and took a doe the first week, but i hadnt seen anything else. Shotgun season came, I lived in Massachusetts at the time, and i moved where i set up about 100 yards into the hardwoods, for a week i saw nothing. I went out that saturday, it dusted snow that night, as the sun came up I saw 3 deer running full tilt right down the trail I hunted with the bow, I shrugged it off and waited, then i caught movement and i saw about 4 inches of antler (no scope) but it was a buck and that was good for me. I took aim, iron sights and a 20 gauge and dropped him. I was surprised at the size of the deer. It dressed out at 167lbs and had a perfect 8 point rack. This little spot that i may have overlooked if not for desperation gave up 2 deer to me. The following summer the land was sold and posted, but i will never forget how big deer can hide out in small areas.

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
Re: Sometimes where you least expect them
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 01:22:17 PM »
That is really nice buck. Being persistent is important. You had a small spot where you could escape for a few days and not be bothered with other hunters. Congrats
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.