Spike Camp

Partitions or Accubonds

Partitions or Accubonds
« on: May 04, 2017, 06:39:14 PM »
I can't decide which one I want to use and which bullet weight I want to try in my 6.5-300.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

Re: Partitions or Accubonds
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 06:48:05 PM »
Both are great bullets. The partition might penetrate deeper but the accubond has better BC and will hold higher velocity at extended ranges in the same bullet weight.
TD

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 07:13:16 PM »
I would have to say go with the partitions. But then again I shoot Accubonds in 2 of my rifles and have been happy with there accuracy. But I've never had a partition fail and have heard a few stories of Accubonds separating at high velocities. 
Doug

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 07:20:19 PM »
There was 130 and 140 Accubonds on sale at Midway. That was another reason I ask and makes it had to decide. I am thinking 300 will be max I would shoot.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 07:51:14 PM »
In the 6.5-300 why not the 127 gr LRX ?

Barnes LRX
The Barnes LRX is a homogeneous bullet, meaning it’s made out of one solid material, which happens to be copper. It has only one weakness: Since copper has less mass than lead, LRX bullets are inherently lighter than a lead-cored bullet of the same size, resulting in somewhat lower BCs.

Where the LRX really shines is bullet integrity. It will expand reliably down to 1,600 fps or a bit less and up to, well, however fast you want to shoot it—and that’s where the real magic happens. Even if the four copper “petals” that expand outward and roll back into the classic mushroom shape on impact shear off of the main shank, it’s impossible to batter that shank too small to penetrate.

It will always drive deep, and even if you only have a .284/7mm-diameter blunt-fronted shank pounding through heavy bone, dense muscle and vital organs, it will penetrate and kill.

barnes-range-hunting-bullets-great-long-3

Additionally, if some or all of those four petals shear off, they become satellite projectiles and wreak their own share of havoc. In fact, according to Lead Ballistician Thad Stevens, Barnes is intentionally engineering more and more of its hunting bullets to lose petals during penetration.

Personally, this is the only purpose-built long-range hunting bullet I’d trust if I had to shoot a big moose quartering to me at very close range, and count on it to drive through that massive shoulder and go killing-deep into the vitals.

As for accuracy, while it’s frankly not a match-grade projectile, the LRX tends to be very forgiving through a broad selection of rifles. I’ve had Weatherby and multiple custom rifle makers tell me that the Barnes bullet is their go-to when qualifying rifles for an accuracy guarantee. Whether that guarantee is one MOA or a half-MOA (which I’ve personally seen many LRX loads achieve) that is a resounding accolade to Barnes bullets.

Read more: http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammo/great-bullets-for-long-range-hunting/#ixzz4gAG2dZgq
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 09:05:26 PM »
Thanks for sharing Danno, interesting article. I plan on sticking to the 127 LRX in my 6.5-300, I'm wondering if Chris might be so pumped up about his Idaho bear hunt he just needs to keep himself busy. I sent him the following info I found on line.
Licorice Spritz
George McQuiston of Wild Idaho Outfitters ­(wild​idaho​outfitters.com) swears by a homemade anise concoction for bringing in big bruins. And the data backs him up. Between 2004 and 2007, the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources conducted a study on bear attractants and found that the black-licorice aroma of anise extract beat out all others. McQuiston buys anise extract online by the gallon ($40; ­esco​foods.com) and dilutes it by 70 percent with clean vegetable oil. “I put it in a spray bottle and spritz it while walking through the woods and all around the bait site,” he says. “The whole spot will be crawling with bears exclusively from that anise smell.”
Doug

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 09:46:48 PM »
I had plans to use the 200grn Accubond in my 30-378 Accumark. I loaded a heap up and was getting good accuracy but was plagued by fliers. Then after a range session one day I heard a rattling noise in my rifle. After pulling the stock off I found 3 "Tips" from the Accubonds had broken off under recoil. So that was the cause of my fliers. Who knows how those projectiles without their tips would of performed on game? They could've very well caused me to lose a valuable trophy...
So from now on I will only be using my favourite projectile, Barnes TSX's in it. Although I do have a heap of Bergers to use too.
It will probably be a different story out of the 6.5-300 as it doesn't produce the same recoil.   
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 10:07:09 PM »
Chris, the bc of the 140 part. is .490 and the 140 acc. is .509 which is not enough to make any difference in a hunting bullet. If I am not happy with the 140 acc. I will be switching to the partitions.
John

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 06:09:57 AM »
There was 130 and 140 Accubonds on sale at Midway. That was another reason I ask and makes it had to decide. I am thinking 300 will be max I would shoot.
The Partition has a great reputation for performance and killing game and would be an excellent choice. Sent you a PM
TD

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 06:55:08 AM »
"If" we were talking about a bear hunt( not the big bears) and you had two rifle choices, a 6.5-300 Wby. with 127 gr. LRX and a 270 Win. with 130 gr. Remington Core Lokts, which would you choose? If you pick one over the other, your set. If you say either one of them would do it, then I think we're over thinking this hunt. If your hunting over bait with a 30-30, you'd have approx. 1400 ft/lbs. of energy at 100 yds.(more the closer you get) If your hunting with a 270 win you have approx. 1400 ft/lbs. of energy at 300 yards. The 6-5-300 has almost twice those energies at 300 yards with a very good bullet. Using any of these, Nosler Partition, Accubond, Interbond, A-frames, GMX, or a good Hornady Interlock, or Remington Core Lokt, I think shot placement will be more important.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 08:06:42 AM »
Between the two Nosler bullets, I would pick the partition. Because of the velocity of the 6.5-300. Not sure the Accubond will hold together at closer ranges.

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 08:59:17 AM »
get a box of each, start working up some loads, and see what your rifle prefers. There is not much use in deciding what bullet you want to use, until you know what your rifle likes.

Rob

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 09:07:27 AM »
The Partition has a great reputation for performance and killing game and would be an excellent choice. Sent you a PM
I ordered two packs of Accubonds and thanks for the link again.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 02:41:36 PM »
Not sure if they are available for the 6.5-300 but I am a huge fan of the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip.
Has the best of both worlds IMO

A bonded to the core frontal with a high BC and a solid rear shank for bone crushing penetration, much like the partition only with a better BC.........just a thought

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 09:31:11 PM »
This is sort of like asking if you want a kiss from Miss America 2017 or Miss America 2016. I think working up loads with both bullets and letting the rifle tell you what groups best is the way to go. There have been lots of great comments on the bullets and I cannot disagree with them. Recognizing you need a bullet that will take the velocity of a 6.5-300, if you don't like the Partitions or the Accubonds then look to the Swift bullets. Weatherby did, so maybe your rifle will like the Swift's too. My 6.5mm Creedmoor loves the 130gn Swift Scirocco IIs and so do I.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.