Spike Camp

Gander Mountain going out of business?

wby4ever

• View Profile
Gander Mountain going out of business?
« on: May 05, 2017, 07:09:04 PM »
It appears Gander Mountain is being taken over by Camping world and closing their stores?

http://www.gandermountain.com/assets/images/homepage/new-hp/ad-01.jpg

galamb

• View Profile
Re: Gander Mountain going out of business?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 08:22:15 PM »
I have heard rumours of this for a while now, but today got a "going out of business" email ad from them.

After 57 years, blah blah blah - no returns etc etc, everything must go at all locations.

I used to make the trek to the one in Watertown, NY (30 minutes from where I live but on the other side of the border) and did like shopping there (you bunch in the US have no idea how bad the shopping sucks in Canada for hunting/fishing).

But have to say, the selection and lack of stock has been evident for the past year and a half or so - figured they had to be coming on hard times...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 08:25:00 PM by galamb »
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 08:59:37 PM »
They aren't the only retailers having trouble in this country.All politicians act like the economy is all good but there are a lot of the big retailers in trouble out there.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 11:23:43 PM »
Gander's biggest problem for years has been their pricing. When you compare their price to almost anyone else, they have consistently been 20-30% higher, or more. With guns, it's been downright insane. I've seen used 700 ADLs in Tupperware stocks for $699, and Savage 110s in the same kind of plastic for $599. When I can drive 10min down the road to my LGS and get similar rifles new for less, why bother to stop at Gander?
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

badsection

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 04:50:48 AM »
I have a Gander Mt. store less than 2 miles away. Haven't been in there in a couple years.   :)

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 05:34:05 AM »
They're still only 10% off on firearms and ammunition, and that 10% wouldn't make it a sale in any  sporting goods store in the country.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 08:17:58 AM »
That's to bad, that's a lot of people out of work!

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 09:11:09 AM »
They're still only 10% off on firearms and ammunition, and that 10% wouldn't make it a sale in any  sporting goods store in the country.

That 10% will start to get their prices closer to other local stores' prices.  As said before Gander Mountain's, or as I and many of my friends affectionately called it Greed Hill, prices were always more than other stores in my neck of the woods.  And when it came to their selection that was pretty pathetic at best.  I'm not surprised they're going out of business, closing the stores, or what ever you want to call it because my local Greed Hill was notorious for not having much inventory and even less customers. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 09:58:07 AM »

That 10% will start to get their prices closer to other local stores' prices.  As said before Gander Mountain's, or as I and many of my friends affectionately called it Greed Hill, prices were always more than other stores in my neck of the woods.  And when it came to their selection that was pretty pathetic at best.  I'm not surprised they're going out of business, closing the stores, or what ever you want to call it because my local Greed Hill was notorious for not having much inventory and even less customers. 

Yeah, at 10% off firearms, they're now only about 20% above the local market pricing in my area. That's a fabulous business strategy!
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 09:26:07 PM »
The Gander Mountain store in Wichita, Kansas didn't impress me. There was a lot of stuff, and most of it was overpriced in my opinion. There was no store of the same size in the area, ergo, no real competition. Then, a Cablea's opened and guess where the customers went? Like 'em or not, the Cabela's stores I have been in have people who know their products and the products are priced better than the competition in almost every case. Gander's stores closing is no surprise to me.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

BigOrange44

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 09:05:01 AM »
As other members have commented; Gander's pricing has always been its Achilles heal..  Here in Bowling Green, KY they have competition from a good local store, a few pawn shops and Cabellas along with frequent gun shows in the area, all of which beat Gander's pricing significantly. Since opening day, their used gun pricing has been scary although I did buy a  collectible 94 Winchester in .32 Win Sp. from them about a year ago.   I checked in on the "going out of business sale" the day before yesterday... Their discounted prices are still higher than most knowledgeable gun people will be willing to pay. Most mark-downs were what they called 10% (hardly distressed sales pricing).  I couldn't find any pricing marked on the used rifles.   I plan to check back in a couple of days to see if they have decided to actually hold a "SALE".  I have had my eye on a particular used bolt action that has been on their shelf for well over a year at a price about $300 dollars above what the price should be. In fact I tried to buy it outright for hard earned green cash once and tried to make a trade for it another time.  If it comes down to within the ballpark of the sane, I will try to buy it.  As an owner of 4 Weatherby Rifles I have found it strange that since they opened a few years ago, I have never been able to find a single box of Weatherby Ammo on their shelves in any caliber, Weatherby or otherwise.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 09:11:32 AM by BigOrange44 »

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 09:40:08 AM »
I saw on the news last nite that our Store in College Station,Tx is one of several that will not be closing.Camping World-Overtons will take over and keep it open and will carry some of the Gander Mountain line if I understood it correctly.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 08:16:13 AM »
Bought one thing from them my whole life (a few years back), a Leupold scope that actually wasn't overpriced. 98% of their stuff is priced for folks who don't care what they pay or don't know better.
Come and take it.

BigOrange44

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 12:37:17 PM »
I checked out the Going Out of Business sale at the Gander Mtn. Store about 4 miles from my house yesterday.. Their markdowns so far hardly make it appear to be a distressed sale.  I saw no indications of any reason for me to get my wallet out.  The 10% markdowns don't get them inline with regular pricing at most of their local competition.  Camping World, a company started and headquartered here in Bowling Green has purchased Gander Mtn. I spoke with a Ganders employee yesterday and he thought our local Ganders would become an Overton's boating outlet. Overton's is a subsidiary of Gander and was included in Camping World's purchase.

We also have a Cabellas here in Bowling Green, KY and rumor has it that it has been purchased by or merged with Bass Pro Shops.  This puts the destiny of our local Cabellas Store in a precarious position with a huge Bass Pro Shop just 60 miles down the road in Nashville, TN.

badsection

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 08:33:35 AM »
Just read the list of stores intended to stay open in USA Today.  My local store is on the list (Palm Beach Gardens, FL.).   :)