« on: May 07, 2017, 03:52:29 PM »
Any one have good luck in the field and range with this bullet
I'm thinking of 100 grain in my 257wby for deer size game to 500 yards

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
Re: Swift A frame or sirocco
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 04:37:36 PM »
The Aframe is a tough bullet but the scirocco is better in terms long range for deer. I have used the scirocco in my .257 wby and is very accurate in my rifle. I also think very highly of hornadys SST which, in my opinion, is tougher than the scirocco, also accurate and great for long range deer size game. My absolute favorite for deer in a 257 wby is the Berger VLD 115gr. It shoots flatter than the above mentioned bullets and has dropped all the deer, about a dozen, in its tracks.
Of course, this is just my opinion.
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 05:59:12 PM »
I have taken down many moose with the A-Frame since I first started using it in the early/mid 1980's when they first hit the market (memory is starting to go a little :) ) And I go after moose with a 7.08/A-Frame combo and consider that I have "more than enough gun/bullet".

I have used them (once) for deer but they are expensive and a little much (unnecessary) for my type of deer hunting (elevated stand at bow ranges - nothing over 35 yards). I hit a Whitetail buck at 21 yards with an A-Frame. He was quartering away severely and I was sitting on the ground, back against a tree drinking a coffee when he decided to stop by. Hit him in the right shoulder and exited his forehead (lucky I didn't blow the rack off) - bullet might still be going :)

The Scirocco is a super "long for caliber" bullet with insane "BC" is you "shoot by math".

In the 257 the Scirocco should give you no issues. I have had keyhole issues with them in my 243 (1:10 twist) but shot great (3/4" or less @ 100) from my 7.08 and 6.5 Creed (well under 1/2" in the Creed if I clamp the rifle - I'm too shaky to use the gun to it's potential).

If you will be shooting longer range then the Scirocco will be of benefit. If you don't know whether it will be 25 or 250 yards or anything in between I would personally go with the A-Frame which is like a Partition on steroids.
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 08:47:49 PM »
Loaded up 100 rounds of the 100 gr bonded A Frames with MRP in my 25-06 many years ago. Besides being extremely accurate they hammered the whitetails at close range, I think all my deer were taken at less then a 100 yards and I never recovered a bullet. The BC isn't the best so you may want to go with the Scirocco's if you may have long range shots.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 01:25:42 AM »
I run the 90 grain Sciroccos in my .240 Wby and they are great for pigs, goats and deer. I also use the 130 grain Sciroccos in my 6.5x65 RWS. I have only shot a handful of wild goats and pigs with it, but it sure does knock em flat. Both are great for longer range shooting and are easily the most accurate bullets in those two rifles.
Aussie gun nut.

Fotis

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 08:22:40 AM »
110 accubond at 3540 fps.  This  is what I use.   69gr of RL22
"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 08:49:53 AM »
I have used the scirocco for long range shooting and hunting. I have not used the A Frame for hunting. I am curious how the A Frame compares to Barnes TTX in terminal performance? I have recovered some Barnes bullets from whitetails with the petals gone.
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 09:35:51 AM »
Comparing an A-Frame to a mono (TTX, TTSX, GMX et al) is like comparing apples and pumpkins - just not the same thing and don't act the same way.

An A-Frame is a Partition "on steroids". As such it's two separate cores. The nose (core) expands and the encased rear core pushes it through.

Compared to the Nosler Partition, the jacket is a little heavier, the nose core is smaller (so less a percentage of the overall weight compared to the partition). But the bullet often gets a nose separation (like the partition) while passing through.

The mono, if it expands (whole other discussion), expands less than either the partition or the A-Frame in almost all conditions. The A-Frame will also expand at a much lower impact velocity than a mono (but I am sure they are working on them).

Before mono's came along the A-Frame may have been the toughest bullet out there. But it is "early 1980's" technology and a lot has been improved upon, whether needed or not, since then :)
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!