Spike Camp

Spring food plots

Spring food plots
« on: May 17, 2017, 09:21:16 AM »
Having fun with ol 1958  johnny popper 520 mowing winter wheat and mixed grass keep tender for deer to graze during summer months also no -till planting sorghum for winter feed for wildlife from song birds to big game it's about 7 acres where I plant for game give them something to eat during cold months

Planting sorghum this spring then come in this fall where mowing now no-till wheat /rye spot plant turnips

Ordering 30 pheasant chicks to raise and release this fall in sorghum see get them started on farm

badsection

Re: Spring food plots
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 09:30:15 AM »
Good luck !   :)

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 11:42:18 AM »
Nice! I'm thinking about planting a little 1/4-1/2 acre plot this year myself.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 11:51:52 AM »
A great idea.Should keep animals and birds in your area.Turnips have worked well in plots for me also.Deer eat the tops and then go for turnips in the ground later.Popping Johnnys are classic.Here is a model M we still use at the homeplace.Disk,shred, and use it for hauling.Growing up I did a lot of squirrel hunting with dogs in the creek bottoms behind the house.Of course if dogs were treeing and I was stilling killing squirrels I stayed too late in the bottom and it would get dark before I got out of the bottoms.When I wasn't back at dark Mama or Daddy would crank up the popping Johnny and I could hear it and come out directly to it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 12:05:21 PM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 06:34:41 PM »
I notice deer/turkeys  are heavier and healthy looking also with winter feed

Terminator, nice model M them old classic run forever I just don't know what it is I sure do love running them

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 08:13:54 AM »
Has anyone used the no till products?
My nephew hunts on my farm in an area that can only be reached on foot. It is a higher ground spot that is surrounded by a swamp. I told him I thought it was just a gimmick, but I would ask around and try to get an answer.
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 10:08:58 AM »
I have used the Imperial no tilt seed. When I lived in Wisconsin we would rake the leaves off the old logging roads and put down alittle fertilizer and the seed.
It would work great, it was like a green line going thru the woods  and the deer loved it

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 10:40:21 AM »
What a great idea for the logging roads! I will have my nephew rake up his spot and spread some seed and fertilizer. He might as do the same on the trail leading in and out of his hunting spot.
We hunt out of 6x6 ft shacks with holes cut out for windows and have a little propane heater. My nephew carried his disassembled shack there and put it back together. He has about a 1/4 mile to carry everything. It must be nice to be so young and committed to do that.
Thanks for the info .257
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 04:06:27 PM »
1/4 mile is a hop,skip and a jump
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 10:03:22 PM »
Don't have any Spring food plots,but have tilled,fertilized all my Fall/Winter food plots.Will sweep them a few times thru the Summer to keep the weeds from getting all the fertilizer.I don't like to use chemicals to kill the weeds.

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 03:33:23 AM »
224 what do you plant for your fall winter plots in Texas ?

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 05:30:19 AM »
Nothing special 7mm.Oats in some,wheat in others.I do sprinkle in turnip seed as I'm sowing the grain.I fertilize heavy,because the turnips pull a lot of nutrients from the ground.My plots double as cattle grazing after the season is over.I don't turn the cows into them until the 1st weekend in January.That's when we start having our hardest part of the Winter and deer season ends then.Each plot will have a corn feeder on the edge of it or close to the field that I'll feed about 2 tons of corn, out of 6 feeders,over the season.I also put out mineral blocks too.You have to do better than what your neighbors are doing in my country.There is a lot of hunting pressure.I have come to realize that sanctuary plots are better than food plots I think.Good size places where I won't set foot on especially before,and during the season.

Remember 10534

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 05:17:22 PM »
Picts of a few

Remember 10534

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 05:25:11 PM »
I carry a few 3/4 inch range cubes with me for Edwin.Anytime I pull up to the herd he comes to meet me.He loves him some cake!Thought I'd throw these in.Took them while taking picts of the blinds and food plots.

Remember 10534

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 05:27:52 PM »
I keep the cubes in my cup holder on the Ranger.People say he's gonna get me one of these days.The only time he gets mad is if I don't bring any with me.LOL

Remember 10534