Spike Camp

.257WBY

Desertdoc

• 257WBY Shooter
    • View Profile
.257WBY
« on: May 17, 2017, 05:26:57 PM »
Hey all, I have perused the various threads and gleaned good info from them before I decided to post.  So, I have just purchased a Vanguard S2 in .257.  I am in CA and starting 2019 I will need to go to all copper projectiles.  I want to get ahead of the curve and develop load data now.  Rifle to be used for deer and Elk.

Standard 24" barrel 1:10"twist.  My questions as follows:

As a rough guideline to get me started

1.  What projectiles in the 110-120 range are you finding that stabilize and group well 100-500yds?
2.  Look at RL-25 for powder.
3.  CCI Mag. primers.
4.  Weatherby brass.
5.  Do the copper solids need to be as heavy as their lead cored counterparts to retain energy with good weight retention and expansion?  I know nothing of all copper projectiles.
6.  How do the longer copper projectiles work with the barrel twist above?
7.  Do I need to handload or will the factory copper loads work fine for Elk as well?  Deer I have no doubts.

Looking at the data for the factory loading of the Barnes 100gr TTSX and at 400 it has an advertised 1361 ftlbs of energy.  If that holds true, I have no problems with that loading.  What say you?

Thanks for listening to my inane questions.

Regards,

Desertdoc
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 05:37:06 PM by Desertdoc »
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Re: .257WBY
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 10:33:50 PM »
With my S1 257 I picked up 4 kinds of loaded ammo to try, the 100 spitzers and 100 ttsx performed very well. I ended up loading the 100 gr ttsx with MRP, 215M primers in Weatherby brass. My S2 257 Accuguard liked the spitzers and 115 Accubonds, I ended up sticking with the Nosler 115 Accubond ammo and haven't reloaded for it yet.
I would suggest trying some loaded ammo to see what your rifle likes before you start reloading for it. If you're going to start reloading for it right away the 100 ttsx & 115 TSX from Barnes should work well as would the 100 gr etips. I like MRP, but most of the Nation members swear by H1000,  CCI and Federal primers work great but are not interchangeable.
Any of the 100 or 115 gr factory ammo will work for elk as long as you do your part.
Doug

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 02:39:54 AM »
I use the 115 grain Barnes TSX projectiles on top of RE25 in my .257 wby. I made up this load to use in Africa for critters like zebra, kudu and Oryx. Unfortunately that trip fell thru, I will still use it next time I go though. Then I have used that same load on wild horses and donkeys here in Australia. So I believe it would work on Elk but only under ideal conditions. It would work just fine on your smaller deer but you may be better off with the 100 grain TSX or TTSX.
As far as all copper projectiles go, they basically say one can go down in projectile weight when using all copper or gilding metal projectiles. So basically a 100 grain TSX is equivalent to a 115-120 grain standard soft point.   
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 07:27:31 AM »
Staying with an all copper bullet between 110-120 grain, the choices are slim. But like BB340 and blackbear3 posted the barnes 115 would be a good choice. With elk on the list of animals the 100 grain may be a little light although it does give you a couple more options.

Gary

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 10:33:31 AM »
The TTSX only goes to 100gr which is perhaps ethically a bit light for elk.
Scott Arizona

Desertdoc

• 257WBY Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 01:07:54 PM »
Thanks everyone for your time.  I think I am going to not ask more of the cartridge than it can do.  I have other options for elk.  But will have no qualms about lighting bambi up at 500yds.

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 02:12:53 PM »
100 to 500 on Whitetails and copper bullets,use the 80gr.TTSX or the 100gr.TTSX.
Don't let the small size of the 80gr. fool you.They are awesome killers.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 09:53:04 PM »
Though I haven't hunted elk, let alone with a 257 WBY, I wouldn't discount it as a viable cartridge. Many elk are taken each year with bows, afterall. Furthermore, Roy took a cape buffalo with the 257, not recommending that, but it shows the potential of the cartridge.

What will be important is bullet construction and shot placement. Shooter discretion is key. Don't take a marginal shot, don't take a shot you can't make. The cartridge is plenty capable, but it does have limitations;as with all cartridges.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 11:17:32 AM »
Does Barnes still make the 115 grain bullet? I have never been elk hunting but I would think if you kept your range to a little over 300 or less you would be fine. When I hold a .257 cartridge I wonder what it wouldn't kill. If you use a Barnes bullet you know more of that bullet will be left than if you used a lead core bullet if that something you were worried about.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 01:04:32 PM »
Barnes 115 grain tsx will definitely kill an elk shot through the shoulder or lungs. I have seen it happen 4 times. 3 times on bulls and once on a huge cow. The bulls were between 150 -300 yards all went less than 50 yards. The cow was about 75 yards quartering away and went through lungs and exited through the far shoulder. I have complete confidence in the combination. It is not unethical or even borderline unethical. We have all heard or read about "what if you were on the last day of a hunt and the only shot was the south end of a north running deer?" If it is the first day or the last day it shouldn't matter. A poor shot is a poor shot. If it was wrong the first day it's wrong the last day.This, of course, is just my opinion based on my experience and mine alone. A poor shot or gut shot with a .375 or a .257 will achieve an equally bad result. You have to use a rifle/bullet combination that you shoot the best and only through time on the bench and actual results in the field shooting deer or hogs will allow you to come up with the answer to your question. Take your rifle and shoot it as much as possible even shooting woodchucks and prairie dogs. Your familiarity with your rifle is the only way to find your answer.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 05:25:49 PM by Michiganhunter »
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 05:10:16 PM »
Does Barnes still make the 115 grain bullet? I have never been elk hunting but I would think if you kept your range to a little over 300 or less you would be fine. When I hold a .257 cartridge I wonder what it wouldn't kill. If you use a Barnes bullet you know more of that bullet will be left than if you used a lead core bullet if that something you were worried about.

Yes Chris Barnes still makes the 115grn TSX. As I posted earlier, it is the projectile I load in my .257 WBY. You are exactly right in what you said about that bullet. It opens up plenty on smaller critters and yet will still penetrate deep on big ones too. One of the outfitters I was talking to about a hunt in Africa doesn't want me to use my .257 Wby for plains game. He said instead bring something with a bit more bullet weight and less velocity. That is the mindset of most PH's over there.But I know I can get the job done with Roy's "Little Darling" and so will be taking it. And now a mate is coming too and will be bringing his .257 Wby as well haha.
Aussie gun nut.

Desertdoc

• 257WBY Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 11:03:15 AM »
Good posts above, I could not agree more.  Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.  Ok fair enough, IMO the 257 is good to go with 300yd broadside shots and I have no problem passing up something other than those parameters.  My ego does not need to be fed.  I would rather pass on a shot, than make a bad one.

Everything I have read about the copper Barnes is they retain 99%plus of their weight and you can get away with lighter bullets.

How does the 115TSX/TTSX stabilize with the 1:10 twist barrels at 100, 200 and 300 yds?

Thank you all for you time.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 05:18:43 PM »
My old barrel on my Deluxe .257 stabilized the 115grn TSX not a problem. I have loads done to test with my new barrel and will hopefully get out next week to test them.

Side note Desertdoc, Barnes only does the standard TSX in 115 grain and not a TTSX.

Another note, there is a custom bullet maker here in Australia that makes all copper bullets and he has started making 130grn .25 cal projectiles that he runs in his .257 Wby.

www.auscopperprojectiles.com

Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 08:05:12 PM »
They are not TSX, but the 115 gr Berger. I have a load with them that shoots well in my rifle. It will shoot a 15" 10 shot group at 1000 yards. I think that is good for a light Vanguard barrel.

Desertdoc

• 257WBY Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 08:28:05 PM »
Hi .257.  As I am stuck in CA for 5 more years, retiring at 55, I need a copper projectile.  If the 115 Berger is all copper I'm in.