Spike Camp

Quick Release Scope Mounts.Neanderthals. Opinions?

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
Quick Release Scope Mounts.Neanderthals. Opinions?
« on: May 23, 2017, 02:43:21 PM »
I am sure there are members who hunt a great deal each year. Probably quite a few species and in various terrains. We also have rifles in different calibers for the species we hunt. When we buy a new rifle we like to use it as much as possible and on various game.
I think most of us are like that with any new toy we buy. I think most hunters are wired that way. Picture yourself in a cave, let's say it's in France, maybe in the Neanderthal valley. What if your Neanderthal cousin, the one who is smarter than you, walks into your cave, one hand carrying a new spear and the other hand with knuckles dragging. Wouldn't you want to play with it? You would grab your club, hit him on the head, take the spear and his ugly mate. Picture that. Now do you see what I mean?

We buy the rifle, then we study what bullet we want to use for a specific animal and then the perfect scope. If we hunt bear from a stand over bait, we need a lower power scope that really shines in low light conditions. If we have a bear hunt where we glass, stalk and shoot,the same rifle and caliber will work with maybe a different weight and style of bullet. The scope we might use for this hunt could be vastly different. Maybe a wider range variable with a smaller lens and lighter weight.

A deer hunt in Michigan and a deer hunt in Wyoming would pose the same dilemma. Same caliber, different bullet design and different weight. The perfect scope would be just as different too.

I have decided to put quick release bases and rings on quite a
few of my rifles. I can switch scopes from one rifle to the next and also switch scopes for the same rifle and caliber but a different bullet.

Now which company would you choose? Leupold has the QR system and so does Talley. I am sure there are others,too.

I know I am not the first Neanderthal  to come up with this idea! What would you or your smart cousin use or recommend?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 03:05:51 PM by Michiganhunter »
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

BB340

• View Profile
Re: Quick Release Scope Mounts.Neanderthals. Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 04:38:08 PM »
I have several rifles with Leupold QRW rifles. Most of my Weatherbys that I take on hunts both here and overseas wear them. I have them this way so as I can take a 2nd scope that is sighted in just in case something happens to the main scope on the rifle. Plus the gloss QRW rings look really good against the gloss black Leupold scope and Weatherby's dark bluing. The only thing I don't like on them is the ugly looking Lever to remove and replace the scope. I have my gunsmith making me up some torx head scews to replace he levers and give a tidier finish. Yes I know they will no longer be quick release but they are not on any rifles that have open sights that I need to access quickly.

Going along the lines of what you said Michiganhunter, I have quick release rings on my Ruger No1 chambered in .460 S&W. It shoots 2-3 loads to greatly different impact points. So I have 2 scopes sighted in for 2 different loads that I use on different animals.
Aussie gun nut.

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 07:32:22 PM »
Bb340,
Do you use a one piece base on your rifles?
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 12:09:12 AM »
Bb340,
Do you use a one piece base on your rifles?

Nope they are all two piece bases.
Aussie gun nut.