Spike Camp

.257 Wby Brass

Desertdoc

• Creedmoor
    • View Profile
.257 Wby Brass
« on: June 07, 2017, 08:17:40 PM »
Hey all.  I have been perusing various sites and they are all saying that .257 is easily formed by using new 7MM Rem Mag. and running it slowly through the .257 die.  But, it will be about .05 short.

Do I have this right?

Thank you.
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Re: .257 Wby Brass
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 10:04:33 PM »
My dad used to do that with his 270 weatherby to save a few bucks. He usually followed the process up by fire forming it. I don't know if the cases ended up short. I never have done it personally since I have no cheap supply of 7mm brass and I like having my head stamps proclaiming weatherby proudly :D
Tell her a gun collection is like wilderness. Even though we donít use it all the time, we need to know itís there. -Pat McManus

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 06:35:29 AM »
DesertDoc: You are correct.It is shorter, although I don't remember the exact measurements. I have done it and it worked fine. I don't have a 7mm so that wasn't a concern for me in using the brass to make .257.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Desertdoc

• Creedmoor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 12:01:22 PM »
DesertDoc: You are correct.It is shorter, although I don't remember the exact measurements. I have done it and it worked fine. I don't have a 7mm so that wasn't a concern for me in using the brass to make .257.

So, it is as straight forward as I have read and as stated above? 

Thanks all.
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Gary

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 06:59:01 PM »
Haven't tried .257, but I did neck .338/378 down to 30/378 using a Forster neck reamer to insure proper thickness and tension.
Scott Arizona