Spike Camp

.257 Dies

Desertdoc

• 257WBY Shooter
    • View Profile
.257 Dies
« on: June 08, 2017, 01:06:37 PM »
Who is using what?  Do I need a separate depriming die?  This is where I get a bit lost.

Correction for spelling.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 01:32:14 PM by Desertdoc »
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: .257 Dies
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 01:22:00 PM »
You don't have to have a separate depriving die. I have a simple universal depriving die, though, and if you can afford one, it makes things easier if you're loading more than one chambering. But it's not a must have.

I like Hornady dies, but have used Hornady, RCBS, Lyman, Redding, and Lee. Read about the features and decide what you loke, among what you can find/afford. Don't forget a shellholder.

You'll want to think about a neck sizing die at some point. I like Hornady again because it's not cartridge-specific. I can use the .308cal neck die I have for all my .308cal rounds. Again, not a requirement, but nice to have.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

Desertdoc

• 257WBY Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 01:33:52 PM »
Thanks Dubyam.  So the usual 2 die set but pick up and neck sizer as well?

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 03:24:31 PM »
Thanks Dubyam.  So the usual 2 die set but pick up and neck sizer as well?

Yep grab a separate neck sizer die. As Dubyam said the Hornady universal .25 cal neck sizer die will do any .25 caliber cartridge such as .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, 25-06 and your .257 WBY.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 04:19:15 PM »
I have a set of Forster dies. great dies and work great. As Dubyam said the Hornady  neck sizer is a great addition as well.
Any man who would compromise his freedom in pursuit of safety deserves neither freedom or safety...BF

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 05:55:13 PM »
I have a set of Forster dies. great dies and work great. As Dubyam said the Hornady  neck sizer is a great addition as well.

I use Forster dies also. I don't neck size, but the guys I know that do all use the Lee neck sizers

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 08:52:39 AM »
I use a Lee neck sizer on one cartridge, but I am not terribly fond of it. It is difficult to get consistent, even resizing with the collet style die, and of 20pcs sized, there are always two or three I have to resize a second time when I get done. I've started checking them by trying to insert a bullet into the case mouth after resizing to be sure now, which is kind of a pain. But I know guys who use them and love them.

My preferred method is to use the Forster case neck moca applicator to lube the case necks, and use the Hornady sizes for calibers they make.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 02:25:46 PM »
The only dies I buy are RCBS dies, they're good quality, reasonably priced, and have a lifetime warranty. Their sets come with all the dies you need to load and you can choose between full length and neck sizing dies.  I've used other brands that were more expensive and didn't notice any difference other than my wallet being lighter when I bought them. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 02:27:27 PM by Chris338378 »
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.