Spike Camp

Black Bear Hunt

Black Bear Hunt
« on: June 08, 2017, 03:40:03 PM »
Me and the gang are heading to camp Sunday to Thursday to hunt spring black bear. We made the six hour drive to bait 3 weeks ago hoping to get back up to hunt the following week but the weather was not co-operating for my farmer friends to get there crops in so we had to hold off until now.
Hoping we have bait sites hit with lots of trail cam pictures but more important, if they are hit, the bears will return on such short notice. Will post results and hopefully pictures when I return.

Still haven't decided on my rifle choice but am leaning toward my 300 Win Mag with Remington Hypersonic Ultra Core-Lokt 180 grainers

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

Re: Black Bear Hunt
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 03:54:01 PM »
Good luck, hope to see some pictures!!!
Doug

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 04:25:54 PM »
Good luck Terry. Report back with lots of pictures.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 05:51:23 PM »
Good luck. Hope the bugs aren't to bad yet for you guys

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 05:13:26 AM »
Thanks everyone, I have my bug suit and thermocell packed ;)

Terry
OFHA and CCFR member

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 05:25:56 PM »

Had this big boy hit my bait for three days a few weeks before we went up to hunt but never got a chance to sit on my stand. The bugs where so bad that even a bug suit wouldn't work. In all my years hunting I have never seen anything like it. Shore lunches were excellent, great friends and a bunch of cold ones made for a great trip anyway. Hope he is still there in the fall.
Note the tags in his ears

Terry
OFHA and CCFR member

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 05:44:52 PM »
I can relate to this, have been in Canada fishing this time of year and the bugs are out of control

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 05:49:43 PM »
Sounds like a fun hunt (except for the bugs) anyway.That looks like a really nice bear.Hope you get him in the fall.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 06:26:45 PM »
Glad you and the, as you say the "gang" enjoyed yourselves during the off times of the hunts. I've seen videos where those flies, gnats, midges, and mosquitos are so thick you'd swear they need Air Traffic Control help to keep em from crashing. Kidding aside, sounds like those insects made for a miserable time during the hunts. The fall hunt should see a reduction in the bugs somewhat, and hope your able to tag out with a bear like the one in your picture or Bigger. Good Luck!
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 07:33:18 PM »
It sounds like you had a great time, hopefully next time the bugs and Bears will cooperate. Nothing better then fresh fish for a shore lunch with some cold ones and friends.
Doug

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 01:04:06 PM »
Terry, where are/were you hunting.

I was up a little north of Elk Lake the week before you went hunting (fishing walleye which were still spawning - super late this year) and the black flies were disgusting and the few times the sun came out that week the mosquito's joined the party :)

Heading up to Shining Tree in a week for some more fishing with bug suit, thermacell and a gallon of deep woods off :)
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 04:03:06 PM »
Well it sounds like you had a memorable hunt.

What/why are there tags in his ears?
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 04:36:25 PM »
galamb, we have a hunt camp in WMU 49 (Burks Falls). This was our first spring hunt since the MNR re-opened the spring hunt. We baited in mid May with no bug issues so lesson learnt. The problem for the spring hunt will always be timing as most of our hunting gang are farmers.

BB340, it was a great hunt and I am going to call the MNR and find out what the tags means. From what I understand he is either a nuisance bear that got relocated or when he was a cub he was pulled from the winter den for testing

Terry
OFHA and CCFR member

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 05:27:52 PM »
More pictures

Terry
OFHA and CCFR member

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 05:58:02 PM »
Thanks for sharing