Spike Camp

Vanguard Sub-MOA stock play

Vanguard Sub-MOA stock play
« on: June 14, 2017, 05:53:05 PM »
I bought a 300 WSM Sub-MOA in 2008 Blued metal, tan synthetic stock.  Took a couple of deer with it, but let it gather dust for several years. Now, after swapping out scopes with another gun, I'm dusting the old girl off and trying to get her zeroed in again.  I say trying because, unlike the first time around, I'm getting lousy groups 1.5" to 3" with various factory loads. Today, on the range, I noticed that when I grabbed the rifle by the forearm and barrel to remover it from a rack, I could feel the stock "give."  (The stock is tan synthetic.) The barrel and action would rock just a little bit, maybe a 32nd of an inch, in the stock, and you could hear an audible "click" when you gently pressed forearm and barrel together. Probably the barrel hitting the two pressure points near the end of the forearm. There is also some sideways play. When I got home I removed the barreled action, and noticed the recoil lug recess had been partially filled with some kind of a plastic, which was cracked -- a very small amount of plastic or whatever.  Other than that, I couldn't see anything wrong. Is this kind of play normal? 

224KING

• View Profile
Re: Vanguard Sub-MOA stock play
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 05:46:41 AM »
Throw it in a B and C Medalist stock and forget about it.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 10:23:33 AM »
Thanks, but isn't that what came with my rifle?  It's got a tan synthetic stock.  The rear action screw is pillar bedded, and there is an aluminum skeleton that runs from the action to the front of the forearm. 

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 10:41:49 AM »
There should be movement of the action in your stock, just guessing here, are you sure your action screws were tight?
Mike

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 10:44:38 AM »
Mike, Yep.  Very tight. It's possible that this looseness is nothing new.  Could have been the case all along, but I just never noticed it until now -- now that the gun's not shooting so well.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 10:47:49 AM »
If your using the same ammo, than the only thing that has changed is the ( scope, rings, bases)?
Mike

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 05:52:32 PM »
I think the problem may be solved:

1. There was a very small, thin, piece of material in the recoil lug recess of the stock.  It looked like some kind of resin, but the action was not glass bedded.  It appeared to have been damaged, with a small piece out of place.  I moved it back and reassembled the gun.

2.  I called Weatherby, and the technician looked up my gun by its serial number.  Said the action screws should be torqued to about 35 inch-pounds.

Now there is what appears to be a normal amount of play.  Before it was noticeable when you just picked up the rifle off a rack by grabbing the forearm and barrel.  You could hear a faint click when the contact points of the stock struck the barrel.  Now, there is far less play and no clicking sound.  Haven't made it back to the range yet, but I'm hopeful the issue is resolved.

Thanks.

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 06:51:30 PM »
Glad to hear it was something simple, hopefully you'll have some more good news after you head to the range.
Weatherby sure does a great job of helping their customers!!!
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member