Spike Camp

.257 different area different bullets?

.257 different area different bullets?
« on: June 16, 2017, 04:09:07 PM »
Newbie here, have been scanning the posts and looking for an answer. After more than 20 years I finally cased my .270 win in favor of the .257 Weatherby Magnum Vanguard in Game Guard camo. (A shot across a draw at a West Texas Mule Deer hit the dirt under his legs in the 90's that prompted me to look into magnums. The 7mm Rem Mag of my dreams was quickly replaced once I saw numbers on the .257.) When I bought the .257 I was living in Texas and hunting West Texas. I bought the 100 grain spitzers and they took down 5 white tails the first year. All but one went down like they had been hit with a lightning bolt and the one that didn't only went 20 yards into the brush. After that year I had to move back to Louisiana and I only make about one or two Texas trips a year now. The last two seasons most of my hunts have been in Mississippi which looks like a jungle compared to West Texas. The first year I made 3 close shots and the deer were gone, no blood trails or anything. Frustrated, I went to the range and found the rifle to still be shooting under 1 MOA. The past season I left the Weatherby at home and took a .308 with 180 grain bullets for a blood trail and connected out to 230 yards which is the longest shot we have at the MS camp. To finally get to the question: The deer I shot in Tx with 100 gr always seemed to pinhole on one side and disintegrate and almost never had a blood trail. I am starting to reload and have bought 117 gr Hornady SST's and Sierra Game Kings to try out. I am also considering the 120 gr TSX and Nosler Partions. As I am hunting in much thicker cover now with the longest shot being 230 yards I am looking for suggestions. I know the .308 works, but I miss hunting with my Weatherby.

Chris

• View Profile
Re: .257 different area different bullets?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 05:27:21 PM »
Have you tried the Barnes bullets?
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 06:47:36 PM »
I shoot the 100 gr ttsx in my S1 and the 110 Accubonds in my S2 Accuguard. Both work great, but I've used the 120 partitions in my 25-06 with great results too. Is it possible the bullets deflected in the thick stuff you were hunting In?

And also Welcome to the Nation!!! Great bunch of people on this site, with a ton of knowledge.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 07:57:18 PM »
In your hunt area now that you described, I would try the Sierra 117 game king. Try to find a load that shoots good with a vel around 3100 fps and it should work great on those whitetail

Good luck
Mike

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 08:49:46 PM »
I appreciate the input. Most of my life I hunted Texas, I grew up using Remington Corlock, but when I started buying my own in the early 90's I went to Hornady Custom in the old grey box and stayed with them ultimately using 130 gr SST Superformance until making the switch to a Weatherby rifle. Last year I went to Sako 180 Super Hammerheads for the .308 in Mississippi. So I have not wavered too much on cartridges over the years. Giving up my .270 for the .257 was even a little difficult as I had great confidence in it. I have 200 117 gr Sierra Game Kings and 100 117 gr Hornady SSTs ready to load. I spoke to an older gentleman at Carters Country in Houston last year and he said the 117 grain was the best option for 257 hands down. As I do my research the 117 seems to be recommended more for the old German 257 and wonder if that carries over to the newer models with a different twist. I am very interested in the Barnes bullets and  the Nosler Partions have a lot of fanfare. My intention is to see what shoots the best, however the 100 gr Weatherby spitzers shoot great, so that becomes less of a defining factor. My main goal is to down the animal where it stands, and if that doesn't happen at least have a blood trail to track it with.  Thanks .257, blackbear3 & Chris!

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 10:09:50 PM »
Hi all I'm new here and proud new owner of a 257 bee, this'll be my first post. I've read about standard 100gr cup and core bullets fragmenting on impact at close ranged without penetration from this caliber due to the very high velocity. Texijun that may explain your lost deer on the close range shots. Most I've read recommend something bonded or a partition for close range. The barnes bullets also

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 07:35:32 AM »
I have been shooting deer with 257 Wbys. since 1976 at ranges from10 feet to way far and have never had any penetration problems. A 117 sst or a 115 bt at 3400fps will penetrate a deer no matter how close the shot.
John

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 07:48:02 PM »
I am a big fan of all copper and gilded metal bullets. Especially in my Weatherbys. I use to run 110 grain Hornady GMX's with great results. But they are now no longer made. So I switched to the 115 grain Barnes TSX and love that pill out of my .257 WBY. As the regular guys on here know, I have taken some big wild stallion horses and donkeys with that projectile and it worked a treat. I am so confident with that setup that I will be taking my .257 to Africa with me next year as my plains game rifle.
If you are after a projectile that will penetrate deep then the 115 grain TSX sure does fill that role. The 100 grain TSX and TTSX may work just as well and have a slightly flatter trajectory. But my rifle likes the 115's so that's what I stick too.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 06:45:04 PM »
I am going to try the Barnes TSX and Nosler partition it seems like they both have great followings. Since I already have the Hornady 117 SST and and 117 Sierra Game king I'm going to start with them with variations of H1000 & H4831 powder and see where that goes. Any recommendations with those combinations? And thanks for all your responses as it is good to get input from people who have the specific cartridge and rifle experience.

Gary

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 06:33:22 PM »
Tex, with the Vanguard 24" barrel and your shorter yardage requirement I like your Nosler Partition.  A long time proven bullet out to 450-500.  Shot placement with any bullet is a given, but if you're off a bit or the critter moves the Partition will be very reliable.  I like your powder choice also, giving H4831SC the edge with the 100 grainer.  Good luck
Scott Arizona