Spike Camp

New LXX trigger

New LXX trigger
« on: July 14, 2017, 07:28:43 PM »
Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the new LXX trigger for the Wby Mark V?  I now have three Timney triggers on Jap, U.S., and Germany rifles.  They're o.k.  Getting the letoff below 3.0 lbs. takes a LOT of work, and even then it's not nearly as smooth as a good Jewell trigger or Win Model 70 trigger job.  In fact, I'd say those two latter designs are TWICE the quality of letoff in a trigger, compared to the Mark V factory or Timney replacement.

I called Wby and they only install the new LXX at the factory (i.e. you have to send them your rifle, or buy a new Mark V).

I am confident the real problem with Weatherby Mark V trigger designs is the added complexity of the bolt release plunger (vertical rod).  That extra contraption greatly complicates the ability to get a smooth release.

So, does the new LXX solve any of these problems?

- CS

Re: New LXX trigger
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 06:21:03 AM »
I have a new ultralight in 300 wby I will say this is by far the finest trigger I have ever had on any weatherby I have owned. They really nailed it with the lxx trigger. Trigger pull is under 3 lbs. very crisp

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 08:33:25 AM »
I also have the LXX trigger on a new UL in 6.5-.300. I believe it is better than the old markV, the vanguard and a timney trigger.
It is a super crisp release with no creep and I think gives me better accuracy.
It is the best trigger I have ever used.
If there was a better trigger, I would use it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 08:35:47 AM by Michiganhunter »
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 06:59:06 PM »
thx

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 05:55:23 AM »
I have one on my Accumark and it broke at 2.7 pounds on my buddies gauge. I have done nothing to it.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 08:22:44 PM »
I recently splurged and bought a new Mark V KRC, beautiful rifle. After cleaning, mounting a new VX 6 I cleaned the rifle and set it up to check the trigger weigh there was my surprise. The trigger broke about 4.3 lbs which can be easily corrected but the pre-travel and creep was something I would expect from  $300.00 rifle not a $3,000.00 Mark V, KRC. I contacted Weatherby customer service,they wanted me to ship the rifle to a service shop in Colorado, after the time invested lapping rings and installing a new scope I declined and ordered a new Timney trigger. I will send the LXX trigger assy to Weatherby after I swap it out for warranty service, so I have the original trigger assembly.
My question is why how did this high end Weatherby Mark V rifle ever pass inspection, especially for a RC Mark V.
I will update this post after I see what Weatherby does to correct the issues with this trigger.
I currently have 8 other Mark V accumarks and all of these had excellent triggers, all I needed to do was adjust trigger pull.
WTM
Warren Tom Morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 03:11:36 AM »
Have you shot your KRC, if so how did it do.
What caliber did you get
Mike

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 06:18:59 AM »
Have not shot it waiting on Timney trigger.
Warren Tom Morrow

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 06:37:36 AM »
Welcome to the Nation Mr. Warren. What you describe as pre-travel and creep seem to be the exact nature of a two-stage trigger. I believe the two stage trigger pull is measured from the wall, after the pre-travel and creep portion of the trigger squeeze has been taken up. If your measuring from pre-travel to fire, the trigger gauge will register at a heavier trigger pull. if you're measuring the trigger pull from the wall to fire(or bang) and you're RC trigger pull is 4.3lbs, I agree you have a problem. Your being the owner of many Weatherby rifles tells me you're a seasoned shooter, and I'm not trying to school you, just trying to touch all the bases. My last rifle, an S2 vanguard in 257 Wby. has a two-stage match quality trigger that breaks perfectly just at 2.75lbs after the "pre-travel and creep"which I believe is just about par for two-stage triggers. Hoping your problem gets corrected to your satisfaction. Heres a short, but accurate article on triggers from Precision Shooter.
https://precisionshooter.info/single-stage-or-two-stage-triggers/

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 06:41:02 AM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 08:13:00 AM »
My .257 American developed a gritty trigger creep and heavy pull at about 30 rounds of the break in. I replaced it with a 2.5 lb Timney and it's fine now. I tried cleaning the original trigger to no avail so I took it apart and cleaned it with contact cleaner and then re-lubed it sparingly. It's fine now.

You are correct about the bolt release being the problem but not how you think. If you drag wet cleaning patches over it, that cleaning solution runs down the pin and into the trigger assembly effectively washing out any lubrication at the pivot points. The long term solution is to use a bore guide when cleaning our rifles. I got the Lyman universal bore guide from Brownells.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/cleaning-rods-amp-accessories/cleaning-rods/universal-bore-guide-set-17-416--sku100015573-69691-150091.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-100-015-573&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=100-015-573
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member
Retired in the Nevada high desert and loving life.

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 01:40:11 PM »
Thanks guys I totally understand two stage triggers and have owned several but sad for me this specific trigger is a poor trigger, I will bet money the Timney trigger will fix the issue. I was a bit disappointed in a 3K rifle to have a trigger this poor.
Warren Tom Morrow

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 01:51:07 PM »
Thanks guys I totally understand two stage triggers and have owned several but sad for me this specific trigger is a poor trigger, I will bet money the Timney trigger will fix the issue. I was a bit disappointed in a 3K rifle to have a trigger this poor.

The Timney will fix the problem but it will also develop the same problems if you don't do something to keep the cleaning solutions out of it.
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 08:31:36 PM »
Thanks I have been using bore guides for many years because I donít like any type of cleaning solution in triggers, magazine wells and bolt lug lock up area. Thus issue is simply a poor trigger.
Warren Tom Morrow

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 10:00:41 AM »
Thanks I have been using bore guides for many years because I donít like any type of cleaning solution in triggers, magazine wells and bolt lug lock up area. Thus issue is simply a poor trigger.

Well, sorry to hear that. I'm very happy with the 2.5 lb Timney. I adjusted it down to 2 lbs and it lets loose exactly when I expect it to. When you install it, tighten the upper and lower screws a little at a time and wiggle it slightly so it settles in exactly where it needs to be and that the bolt release pin moves freely and is not touching the hole receiver. It usually takes me a couple of tries to get it dead on.
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member