Spike Camp

Gander Mountain Made its mind up!

BigOrange44

Gander Mountain Made its mind up!
« on: July 19, 2017, 12:11:42 PM »
After giving its local customers and employees two,  three or more different stories about its future here in Bowling Green, KY,  the boys at Gander Mountain finally got around to the final story (at least it seems final).. They are closing, or say they say again, and not to reopen. 

I find it sad how they kept their employees in a lurch of indecision. 

carpetking

Re: Gander Mountain Made its mind up!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 12:58:31 PM »
gander mountain has been a dive for the last 10 years. From what I here they hired kids right out of college to run corporate offices. They knew nothing about their customer base.

Nate_N

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 02:32:24 PM »
Just an FYI, if you have any gift cards use them up, stat. I had a $50 dollar one I received from a relative. Hadn't used it (because there's nothing at Gander that isn't a rip off!) and went up a couple weeks before ours closed to try to find a way to not totally waste it. Was told they are not honoring them because they're not technically Gander Mt anymore.

badsection

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 03:10:03 PM »
Guess I need to drive the 2 miles over to my local Gander to see if they are open. This one at least had a knowledgeable gun dept. manager.

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 03:27:31 PM »
I only bought one thing at Gander Mountain, a savage model 12F. Ordered it online, the local store called when it arrived, I stopped in and picked it up. They had a good price and was in-stock. But going by the posts on here I must have gotten lucky with my one purchase

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 09:58:04 PM »
Now is the time to hit the Gander Mountain Stores that are closing.  They are offering some pretty significant discounts on remaining inventory (40-50% in many cases), and the stores are getting cherry-picked rather quickly.  I stopped at the Gander in Port St. Lucie, FL a few weeks back and got their last RCBS Rangemaster 2000 Electronic Reloading Scale for $77.99 (normally $129.99), as well as some AR tools, mount rails and accessories.  A worthwhile trip indeed.  All of their guns were discounted too, but I am not sure by how much.  I always enjoyed visiting Gander to peruse their used gun racks and clearance footwear racks - they usually had some decent deals.  Kind of sad to see them close down.

badsection

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 09:07:50 AM »
My local Gander MT has a going out of business sign with 30-70% off on selected items. The "selected" items don't include anything I would buy from them.  Customers are walking in and walking out empty handed, as I did. North Palm Beach, FL.    :)

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 06:34:44 PM »
Hi Bad - My mistake - I had actually stopped at your Gander in Palm Beach Gardens and picked up the RCBS scale and accessories.  The other week I stopped at the Gander Mountain in Tampa. They closed for good the following Saturday. Picked up an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster for my 357 magnum for $12 and some gunslick cleaning supplies for $2 -$3. Also picked up a box of 22-250 varmint ammo for 10 bucks. Good deals. Sorry to see them close.  The guy at the store said that camping world has cherry picked about 70 of the 126 Gander locations to keep, and they will reopen under the name Gander Outdoors.  They will open strictly as a camping and hunting sports store and also have RV's and campers (no fishing gear planned, but some with boats - they also bought Overton's).  The locations they chose to stay open are the larger structures with larger parking lots to fit RV's.  They are saving 3 Gander locations in FL -  Jacksonville, Ocala, and Palm Beach Gardens.  Hopefully they will open as a more competitive store.  You can see the entire list of saved locations at: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2017/05/09/list-your-gander-mountain-store-saved/101453086/