Spike Camp

Minimum/maximum distance Mounting scope close to barrel

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
Minimum/maximum distance Mounting scope close to barrel
« on: July 26, 2017, 01:34:55 PM »
I believe mounting the scope as close to barrel as possible makes the sight picture easier to find.
When I raise the rifle to shoot I want the sight picture "right there" and ready to shoot. Trying to find the animal in the scope picture instantaneous is a key factor in quick accurate shot placement without hesitation. Sometimes you have to make a quick shot or the opportunity is gone. We can't always spot the deer before it sees you and take the time to set up a perfect rest to shoot. That is a fact.
How low do you mount your scope to barrel? Enough for a piece of paper to fit between barrel and scope bell?
If it is too much distance you end up with your cheek off the stock and and end up looking through a small tunnel to find the deer.
How low have you mounted a scope to barrel? Should the scope bell ever touch the barrel?
With the advent of more and more large bell, 50-56mm, scopes available to gain us a few more minutes shooting time at dawn and dusk. The newer scopes are now much shorter and weigh much less than years ago. The Europeans have been fans for 30 years of large objective lenses. They sit in a stand before dawn and even after sundown. The concept of shooting with minimal light is accepted and legal in many European countries.
So how close to barrel is too close and how far away does finding the game through that "tunnel" is too far?
Is just enough space to clear the barrel too close?
I am curious what the members of our "Weatherby Nation" have to say.
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: Minimum/maximum distance Mounting scope close to barrel
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 01:51:08 PM »
In my experience, the perfect scope height is a very personal fit, kind of like boots. What works best for me might not for you.

That said I still think most folks buy too big an ocular bell and mount their scopes too high. I prefer mine at about medium ring height, but for many folks, even medium is too high off the action. I had one 50mm scope mounted in a set of high rings and I did not find it too difficult to align to, but it was not as natural as the medium height for me.

I'd never mount a scope touching the barrel. In fact, I prefer at least .040" clearance to keep the barrel oscillations from harming the scope.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 02:44:25 PM »
Over the years I've had a lot of different size obj. dia. and had to use medium or high rings to keep them from touching or being too close to the barrel to avoid those oscillations from occuring. But I've managed to adapt to low, medium and high rings without much difficulty. No real preference, especially if you want to have choices.
DosEquisShooter

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 04:55:20 PM »
I like to have mine as close as possible to the barrel. Most of my rifles have 40mm objectives and I sit them in low rings and they fit me perfectly. I have several with 50mm objectives and on some of these I have managed to put them in a medium ring. They sit that close to the barrel you have to hold it up to the light to see that it isn't touching lol.
Aussie gun nut.