Spike Camp

Ordered A New Scope Today

DW5

• View Profile
Ordered A New Scope Today
« on: July 28, 2017, 01:36:10 PM »
Received the Natchez catalog a few days ago and they are running some pretty decent deals on scopes and some other things right now. They were running the Nikon Monarch 7 4x16x50 for $579 and I decided to pull the trigger. Now I just have to decide if its going on a current rifle or if I'm going to be forced to buy another gun so this scope isn't lonely.  :)  :)

Right now, I'm thinking about replacing the prostaff 5 on my 270 WSM with it.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

Re: Ordered A New Scope Today
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 03:19:53 AM »
If buying buying a new rifle is an option always go with new rifle.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 10:09:54 AM »
Frankly, I would have a harder time choosing a scope at this point than I would the rifle or the chambering. A Zeiss or Leupold with a 50mm objective lens is sounding good right now, but a Nikon or a Bushnell could do the trick just as well. If I was getting a rifle other than a Weatherby, it would be a Bergara B-14 or a Winchester Model 70.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 10:44:14 AM »
Nikon glass seems to be a fit for me personally. One of my go to pair of binos are the 10X42 Monarchs. Optics really are in the eye of the beholder though. I also really like my Vortex's and the Leupold and Swaro I own as well. Knowing that Nikon does the trick for me, I just couldn't pass up the Monarch 7 for almost half retail.

Now I just have to decide what to do with it.... decisions, decisions

badsection

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 11:18:29 AM »
So many good scopes out there!  Finding one you like at a good price is great, especially for a cheap bastard like me!   ;D

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 11:27:43 AM »
That Prostaff 7 is what is on my MarkV 300 Wby . It buggered up because of the rings , and Nikon replaced it no questions. Replaced rings and bases with Leupold dual dovetails , that should solve the problem by the way it took about 3 weeks before i got my new one.

badsection

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 11:45:09 AM »
I have the prostaff 7 on 2 rifles, my 338 Lapua and my 6.5 Creedmoor, great scopes!  :)

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 01:16:20 PM »
Good deal DW, congrats on the purchase.  There is never a need for buying a new scope or rifle.  ;D ;D ;D

Hey Bad, great picture of Rambo!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
DW5...........congrats on your new scope, gotta love the 270 WSM

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 04:24:48 PM »
DW5...........congrats on your new scope, gotta love the 270 WSM

I'm a fan  8)

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 07:50:45 PM »
Well, I got it mounted and bore sighted today. Now off to the range to zero it in. Hopefully I can make it out tomorrow, I have a couple of magazines for my 17 HMR that I need to pick up out at my range anyways.

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 06:22:09 AM »
DW5 nice setup enjoy! Awesome caliber inherently accurate and good energy pleasure to shoot .

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 11:01:49 AM »
I feel Nikon has great glass. One of the best bang for the buck scopes out there. Good choice.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 11:17:04 AM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 01:08:20 PM »
The Nikon looks good on top that rifle, hope you can get some shooting in.
Doug

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 08:13:24 PM »
Got it sighted in today. Gun shoots as good as ever. I was getting a little under an inch at 100 groups once I got it dialed in. Don't have any pictures of groups though. A father/son combo showed up as I was waiting for a cease fire to retrieve my targets and the kid had a brand new lever .22 and he was EXCITIED to get going. I only had 6 shots on an upper corner of one of my targets an the other was clean. I told them they were welcome to them if they wanted and the boy jumped all over it.

Pretty good day at the range. My own Dad came with me and was trying out a new load in his Vanguard 300win getting ready for an elk hunt he has coming up. Seeing the kid with his dad and how geared up he was for his new gun brought back some memories of my childhood and dad getting me a few guns.