Spike Camp

Bullet weight range for caliber

danno50

• View Profile
Re: Bullet weight range for caliber
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 07:51:30 PM »
The SST bullet is very accurate. From experience inside 200 yds. you get quite a bit of meat damage, but usually DRT results. I hear its a better long range bullet (400 or 500 yds. out) with much less violent expansion at the lower velocities. (I've never shot anything that far out) The Hornady Interlock bullet seems to perform better at all ranges in most medium size game and large game depending on caliber with deadly results. You know how it goes, yesterday's deadly recipes seem to give way to technology and todays Wonder bullets. Dead is dead though.   
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 07:27:43 AM »
There is an optimum bullet weight per caliber formula, but darned if I can find it now. I used it once, back than I had a 270 win which it told me the bullet weight was 140 grain. I also had a 338 win mag which was a 225 grain.
Maybe someone on here has or can find this formula, it will give you a starting point with bullet weight, than you have to find what your rifle likes

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 08:17:31 AM »
I don't know the formula you mentioned but I look at what weights were used when developing the caliber such as the 130 grainers for the .270 Winchester or the 180s and 165s for the majority of the .30 calibers.  It could take a bit of time to find out but it's a good starting point if you do find them. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 02:01:31 PM »
I remember reading in Roy Weatherby's book that he designed the 300 Weatherby Magnum with the 180gn bullet in mind. My 300 Wby happens to really, really like bullets in that weight.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 05:42:43 PM »
Ok I did find it, see if it will load on here

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 05:47:28 PM »
This chart is a little different than the formula that I used but it is close enough. It does give you a starting point

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 06:07:56 PM »
That was the chart I was looking for! I know there are other formulas that suggest the optimum weight for each caliber.
When I purchased my first Weatherby, a .300 in 1971, I believe there was only a couple factory loads available. I didn't reload so I only had a couple of choices for every Weatherby caliber I bought. I think there was only 2 for my next Weatherby, .257. A 117gr round nose and a 100gr spitzer. I believe it wasn't until the 1990's that other loads were available.
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.