Spike Camp

Seventy-two years ago today

Seventy-two years ago today
« on: August 05, 2017, 09:49:30 PM »
Or more likely two or three days ago, the decision was made to drop the bomb on Japan.  Many people cannot grasp the enormity of making that decision.  According to most any military expert, that decision saved hundreds of thousands of American soldiers lives, negating an invasion of mainland Japan.  I applaud Truman and his advisers for manning up, and making the right call.  I cannot imagine what would happen here in today's society, full of fruitcakes, if Trump would have to make a similar decision concerning N. Korea or Isis.  But I bet Trump would have the balls to do it if necessary.  It is a shame he would not have the American people support him, as did Truman.  There are some good articles available, about the preparation leading up to this.  The preparation, planning, engineering, and training for this mission, was mind boggling.  MM

Re: Seventy-two years ago today
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 05:57:04 AM »
+1  :)   Great post, MM! 

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 10:30:33 AM »
There is no doubt President Truman made the right call. The human cost of further land invasions vs Japan would have been off the charts.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 04:45:26 PM »
The two billion dollar Manhattan Project was put into motion by FDR, but the final decision about dropping the A-bomb would be made solely by Truman. I agree that if Truman had not given the ok for the use of the A-bomb thousands and thousands more lives would have been lost in conventional warfare.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 07:24:23 PM »
Proof of this fact is the last Japanese soldier to surrender... 30 years after WWII ended. "Surrender" wasn't an option. It wasn't in their vocabulary. Until they were faces with annihilation.

And to all the nay-sayers, both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were military targets. Extensive collateral damage, for sure.  But that was the nature of the beast in that day. We had already fire bombed many of their cities. Cities built of wooden and paper buildings.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 06:02:39 AM »
 Quote from Truman's journal entry at Potsdam, the site of a special summit meeting between Truman, Stalin, and Churchill: "This weapon is to be used against japan between now (July 25th) and August 10th. "I have told the Sec. of War, Mr Stimson, to use it so that military objectives and soldiers and sailors are the target, not women and children. Even if the Japs are savages, ruthless, merciless, and fanatic, we as the leader of the world for the the common welfare cannot drop this terrible bomb on the old capital or the new." One other entry in Truman's personal journal prior to the bombing: "We have discovered the most terrible formula in the history of the world." "It may be the fire destruction prophesied in the Euphrates Valley Era, after Noah and his fabulous Ark."
DosEquisShooter