Spike Camp

It appears that Alabama has a pig problem similar to Central Texas

I got to the point, that I preferred hog hunting to deer hunting; more action, more shots.  The hog hunters around here, are really getting serious, with high dollar optics and other equipment, GPS collars for their high dollar dogs, if they use dogs.  Spearing, or stabbing pigs with a knife (when the dogs have them cornered) is popular.  Before losing most of my eyesight, I was wanting to do some long range sniping at them, to simulate "buffalo hunting" of yesteryear.  And in years past, we would have so much hog meat, that we would give it away.  That is always gratifying.  In my county, they pay a bounty on them if you bring in the ears.  Check the link when you have time, but it is a long read.  I would have loved to have done the helicopter hunts, but I am sure that it was WAY out of my price point.  MM
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/08/alabamas_feral_hog_problem_can.html

danno50

• View Profile
Re: It appears that Alabama has a pig problem similar to Central Texas
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 11:40:25 AM »
Good article. They are prolific and have really started to spread out more and more.
DosEquisShooter

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: It appears that Alabama has a pig problem similar to Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 01:27:05 PM »
There are currently no pigs on my mountain lease, and I'm hopeful it will stay that way.

There are a couple of pockets of pig population on the west side of northern Alabama, and if I can ever break free time-wise, I've been advised to go over there and hike into the wind and listen for the pigs.

The Rangers at the Bankhead National Forest keep harping on how they'd like to have hunters' help controlling the population, but when I've called the ranger station on half a dozen occasions, I've never received a return call to my message inquiring about advise and preference of hunting areas. The state manages a WMA which encompasses a large tract of this same area, and the regulations for pig hunting are downright prohibitive. So I've had some trouble believing the state and feds are serious about controlling the pigs in any fashion. The shame of it is there is a federal wilderness area over amongst that property, as well, and it is being destroyed by pigs. Many of us would love to help out, but it's more difficult to get info and guidance than to get democrats to praise the second amendment.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie