Spike Camp

Weatherby factory rebarrel

Gary

Weatherby factory rebarrel
« on: August 08, 2017, 08:08:59 AM »
I have a Mark V in .270Wby needing a rebarrel.  Would welcome feedback from forum members on having Weatherby do the rebarrel.  I called and was quoted $720 for a 26" Criterion hand lapped, fluted #3 contour barrel.  Also is the turnaround time what they say it is or longer.
Thanks
Scott Arizona

mcb

• View Profile
Re: Weatherby factory rebarrel
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 03:08:14 PM »
I sent one to the Custom Shop early this year. They did a great job and I got it back in 6 weeks instead of the up to 4 months that was advised when I set it in. Yea I am a big fan 👍👍👍👍
Best Regards, Mike

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 04:22:17 AM »
What is the current barrel contour now?Going to a 26 inch,number 3 barrel,may take some stock modifications.   
I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 09:37:55 AM »
I would definitely have Weatherby do any work I needed done without any hesitation or second thoughts. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

Gary

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 10:35:46 AM »
Currently a 26" #2, going to a 26" #3.  It will remain a .270Wby.  A friend with a mill will remove enough barrel channel, old bedding to allow rebed and free float.
mcb, did you get the Criterion barrel and was it sub-MOA after the rebarrel?
Scott Arizona

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 03:52:30 PM »
I've never had weatherby re barrel a rifle, but i have used criterions on a savage build for me and 700 build for a friend.  They are both sub moa for sure and the savage shoots extremely well. Last time I had it out shot a 1.005" 3 shot group at 300yds. They are quality barrels and clean up with ease. Hope this is helpful.

Arnold

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 12:58:46 PM »
I had Wby re barrel my Mak V and they did a beautiful job, and I got it back sooner than expected, I would recommend them to anyone that wants work done on their rifle.
Molon Labe

Gary

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 03:13:09 PM »
Thanks for all the recommendations.  As soon as I get it back the barreled action is going to Cryogenics International in Scottsdale to be cryo treated.  I've had two other barrels done there, they shoot great and are very easy to clean.  Some say it doesn't help, but my cryo treated barrels are in better shape than my barrels not treated.  For $65 I'll continue to have mine treated.
Scott Arizona